GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autobahn's Golf R Clubsport Build

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Saw on Instagram that you got a cylinder 1 issue? Curious if it is the Walbros? I remember having fueling issues back when I was running walbros on my sr20

Poor wiring on my first gen RS3 pump. I’ve since had the wiring upgraded to the motorsport grade and black controller, essentially the gen 2 version everyone is selling.

I was having a fuel cut issue on one specific turn on track where there’s a lot of yaw which ended up damaging cylinder 1 piston.

Thankfully the head didn’t have any damage, so we bored/honed/torque plated the block and put Mahle pistons, Carrillo rods, and some Ferrea valve springs.

Here’s a few pics:
5B54CCE5-6BF1-447B-8E57-D8073E8DA922.jpeg

49514CA4-B56D-4022-AD02-94B635626368.jpeg

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
It’s been some time before I had an update… I finally got a 1000 miles on the car after the engine build. So it’s time to make this car quick again.

Thursday, 4/21: got my UM DBV2 v1 Flex/MPI tune flashed back on the car. I’ve been breaking it in on the OEM tune.

Saturday, 4/23: installed my MPI harness

0197468C-0050-41E1-A8C9-53BE812890F2.jpeg

Sunday, 4/24: installed my RS3 pump and the fuel level was reading correctly. Cleared the codes and checked the flex sensor to make sure it was reading, sure enough it was reading at 8% ethanol content on 91. Confirmed boost was set to 15psi so I can make it to the tuner and run some logs.

Fired up fine and no leaks or misfires 👏

A566D5C6-F627-4373-8A3A-D9368B88B953.jpeg

745859B9-9017-4F44-8EB5-700443E5DCA7.jpeg

EFE356F2-C5D3-4D84-B4AE-F62AFBB81F87.jpeg

Gonna get it tuned and then work on adjusting the ride height, want to raise it a tick for track.

Gonna pick up some rear suspension bits from Verkline and a set of RT660’s to replace my RE71R’s (255/35/18) followed by an alignment.

If all goes to plan…would like to get back on track before it gets to hot out here in Southern California.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
You were able to go back and forth with the stock tune? I asked my dealer and he said they'd charge the full price to re-do the tune if I flashed over it.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
You were able to go back and forth with the stock tune? I asked my dealer and he said they'd charge the full price to re-do the tune if I flashed over it.

I had to pay but not the full cost, that would be a lot with the flex and big turbo add-ons.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Some progress updates on the Golf R:

Tuesday, 5/31/22

United Motorsport appointment to get my old Flex Tune base file added back to the car now.

The RS3 pump now has the black controller with motorsport wiring and was flowing a considerable more amount of fuel compared to when I was using the silver controller. Had a couple of revisions and then went and filled up with e85 for another 4 revisions.

The car feels fast again at 30 psi again on the rebuilt motor 💪

washed-car-pre-track.jpg

washed-car-pre-track-2.jpg

packed-car.jpg

Friday, 6/3/22
  • Installed my Porterfield R4 track pads up front
  • Raised my KW Clubsports 3 threads out back and 2 threads up front
  • Had some Kumho V730's mounted (255/35/18) on the Neuspeed track wheels
  • Turned down the tune to 25 psi and took some 5-gallon containers of e85 with me
  • Washed and packed the car for Autoclub Speedway, this was my first event back on track since hurting cylinder 1 back in January of 2021. Got that reverse rake going with the car all packed up 😉

AAA.jpg

AAA-2.jpg

Saturday, 6/4/22
  • Track day at Autoclub Speedway, rented a garage to stay out of the sun
  • Heat 1, took it easy to heat cycle the tires and feel out the rebuilt motor. No issues other than needing some more braking, couldn't go as deep as I normally like to go with the extra power I have. Had to back up my braking zone more than normal.
  • Heat 2, 3, and 4 all went great, no concerns, oil/coolant temps seemed fine, and tires were working great with the warmer track temps. The car felt well balanced with the height adjustments, and turn-in was good. I used around 1/4 of a tank of e85 every heat so the 2 5-gallon jugs worked perfect

post-track.jpg

clubsport.jpg

jackstands.jpeg

tracked-tires.jpg

6/5/22
  • Time to get the car cleaned up
    • Detailed the engine compartment
    • Pressure washed the suspension while swapping out the pads and wheels
    • Deconed and washed the car, got the rubber off
    • Installed my Porterfield R4S pads and mounted the street wheels
    • Full interior wipe down
  • Oil change
    • Second oil change on the rebuilt motor, Eurocode flushed the oil after the first 500 miles
    • Decided to use Torco SR5 5-40, the same oil I use for my R32
  • Inspected the new Kumho v730's
    • Can use a little more camber up front, might bump it up to -3° from -2.3°
    • The rear looks great at -2.1°
    • Gonna try 34 psi hot next time for a little more grip, I ran 35 psi hot all day and they felt good

Attachments

• jackstands.jpg
    jackstands.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 56

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
2 things,

1)why didn't you have enough brakes
2) how were the v730 on track

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
2 things,

1)why didn't you have enough brakes
2) how were the v730 on track

AAA-Roval.jpeg

1. Brakes: I'm carrying an additional 20-30 mph with my Hybrid / e85 MPI setup at AAA even at 25 psi. Autoclub Speedway is very fast, on the track map above you have the banking where I'm now getting up to 155-160, and then you have to brake down to 40 mph for turn 3. Turn 9 - 12 is a straight shot too, you don't have to slow turn 10 and get up to around 120 down around 50 mph for the turn 12 chicane. Turn 7 you get up to around 100, I normally trail brake very lightly through the 7 - 8 kink then back on the gas followed by hard initial braking with some trail braking into turn 9.

The extra entry speed combined with the heavy 18 x 9" wheels (22lbs) taxes the front single-piston system. I was getting too much heat into the system, the weather was 80° though track temps were probably in the upper 80's. I didn't measure the brake system heat after coming off track but I could tell when checking my tire temps that they were more than normal. I'm used to the BBK on my R32 so that has kind of spoiled it for me on my Golf R.

When I was stage 1 (stock turbo, intercooler, stock downpipe, UM) my braking seemed fine in my current config (2 piece rotors, R4 Porterfield Pads, Endless RF-650 Brake Fluid, and no dust shields).

2. Kumho V730: I really like them, not the fastest tire but you can track an entire session in warmer weather (mid 70's+) without them getting too greasy where you have to dial back to 6/10. The sidewall is stiff so turn-in is good and you don't need to overly inflate them, hot pressure at 35 psi worked great. They don't seem to need a bunch of camber. The width for a 9" wheel seems good at 10.3" and the height at 25" is perfect for more clearance when running some extra caster up front. 245's tend to be very tall so your ride height has to account for that when dialing extra front caster.

It seemed like I needed 2 laps before I could push compared to my previous RE-71R's where I could push almost straight out of the gate, not a huge concern though, I went easier on lap one than I normally would and then pushed hard enough to set me up for lap 3.

Overall I'd buy them again for warmer weather running. I need to get another event on them to see how hard I can push, try dialing the front pressure down another -1 psi, and put a little bit more front camber.

I still want to try the RE-71RS looks like Tirerack has some initial testing. I think I might pick up a set for late Fall.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Didn't realize you were on stock brakes. 160 mph, holy cow. That makes complete sense. I bet that's wild.

Surprised that you don't go with more of an endurance 200 tw tire since you mostly do track like the RS4 or Rival 1.0

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a BBK, gonna go by Race Technolgies to pick it up next week. This will probably wrap up this project for the most part

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Poor wiring on my first gen RS3 pump. I’ve since had the wiring upgraded to the motorsport grade and black controller, essentially the gen 2 version everyone is selling.

I was having a fuel cut issue on one specific turn on track where there’s a lot of yaw which ended up damaging cylinder 1 piston.

Thankfully the head didn’t have any damage, so we bored/honed/torque plated the block and put Mahle pistons, Carrillo rods, and some Ferrea valve springs.

Here’s a few pics:
View attachment 246819

View attachment 246820
Just wondering, have you been keeping an eye on that cylinder on the new motor? Seen some speculation that the Euro Rail (side-fed, vs. pass-through) might be causing that cyl1 end to lean out first.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Just wondering, have you been keeping an eye on that cylinder on the new motor? Seen some speculation that the Euro Rail (side-fed, vs. pass-through) might be causing that cyl1 end to lean out first.

Finally found some time to check the plugs…took a peek at the Eurocode/Mahle pistons too, all looks very healthy after one track day on the motor on full E85 at 25psi of boost.

Cylinder one was the one that got hurt on my motor but that was due to my fuel pump issues. I think the euro rail is fine as long as your pump is healthy.

UM had to adjust my fueling a considerable amount now that I’m using the RS3 controller instead of the silver version from the Tiguan. I was told it was flowing a considerable amount more.

Here’s a pic of one of the NGK Racing plugs and cylinder, they all looked the same:

71A97771-7B59-4DF5-AAA2-2260546402BA.jpeg

158BF448-B23E-4834-88FB-E2E8D48299F8.jpeg

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Some updates over September and October.

Had the car in the Eurocode booth at Big SoCal Euro

61EEF8BD-A966-4F73-A912-B568E2FCB21F.jpeg

Picked up a new Stilo helmet, my Bell was a Snell 2010

07DA3BA4-2B0F-4238-8F35-19983BA19F27.jpeg

Installed my Brembo GTS kit

7B73E86F-6B9D-4B3F-8A40-2EABEF161583.jpeg

7E0DAA1E-2A5F-4533-950F-45A7AA9C0A81.jpeg

E1595521-5320-4AB8-A378-39A46702D281.jpeg

EF1C006B-9212-4102-96AF-1D6C0C1DA588.jpeg

Headed out to Auto Club Speedway this weekend to test out the new brake setup. It was a bit hard to stop the car running only 25 psi with my hybrid/flex/mpi setup. I had to back up my brake zones a good amount. Hoping I can shave another 3-4 seconds off my best time of 1:54.

More come 🇺🇸🏁

Last edited:

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Some updates over September and October.

Had the car in the Eurocode booth at Big SoCal Euro

View attachment 264542

Picked up a new Stilo helmet, my Bell was a Snell 2010

View attachment 264543

Installed my Brembo GTS kit

View attachment 264544

View attachment 264546

View attachment 264547

View attachment 264545

Headed out to Auto Club Speedway this weekend to test out the new brake setup. It was a bit hard to stop the car running only 25 psi with my hybrid/flex/mpi setup. I had to back up my brake zones a good amount. Hoping I can shave another 3-4 seconds off my best time of 1:54.

More come 🇺🇸🏁
How do you like the Cup 2's?