GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto-X with DSG

Wolf799

Passed Driver's Ed
This is my second DSG GTI. My MK6 was terrible to auto-x it wouldn't hold 2nd and shifted when I didn't want it to. Haven't tried the Mk7 yet but any tips on style to manage the problem without going full DSG flash?

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
MK7 doesn't hold gear either without a DSG tune. Luckily the trans shifts so fasts that it really doesn't have much of an impact on the time as long as you anticipate the shift and are ready to down shift as soon as it happens. I would suggest getting some shift paddles, it makes grabbing the gear you want much easier.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
This is my second DSG GTI. My MK6 was terrible to auto-x it wouldn't hold 2nd and shifted when I didn't want it to. Haven't tried the Mk7 yet but any tips on style to manage the problem without going full DSG flash?

I autoXed a MK6(and still do since I don't have the 7 yet, but my 7 is going to be a 6MT) for 4 years and yeah that is annoying. Upshift at fast part of course into 3rd is unavoidable, the 2nd gear I think tops out right around 60 so if the course has any fast enough slalom it'll pretty much guarantee to be in 3rd by the end of it. Just has to be aware of that and tap that downshift paddle.

The more annoying in the beginning was the kickdown button at the end of the gas pedal travel, the first year or so I hit that a lot. Now I am just used to not "stump" on the pedal when I want WOT.

GGray

Ready to race!
I autoXed a MK6(and still do since I don't have the 7 yet, but my 7 is going to be a 6MT) for 4 years and yeah that is annoying. Upshift at fast part of course into 3rd is unavoidable, the 2nd gear I think tops out right around 60 so if the course has any fast enough slalom it'll pretty much guarantee to be in 3rd by the end of it. Just has to be aware of that and tap that downshift paddle.

The more annoying in the beginning was the kickdown button at the end of the gas pedal travel, the first year or so I hit that a lot. Now I am just used to not "stump" on the pedal when I want WOT.

Doesn't the DSG tune fix all those issues... Including the kick down switch?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Yes but transmission software is not legal in the class I run in. Granted the chances of them knowing is next to nil...

GGray

Ready to race!
Yes but transmission software is not legal in the class I run in. Granted the chances of them knowing is next to nil...

exactly... unless you are running for a regional championship I doubt anyone would care or even know. Claim stupid and i was "must be stock now" :)

Sure woudl make it a better driver car with just the DSG flash. Makes it act like a Porsche PDK then.

carlosalicea

Passed Driver's Ed
United has a dsg flash.
I haven't got it yet as it's expensive, but it should be awesome.

I run track days in manual, but last one I did my runs in sport, leaving the DSG to do its job and it worked just great.

Also my last gti was 6mt and while the involvement is gone, I must admit that for motorsport, DSG is just plain better.
In my daily driving I still miss the manual, although it wouldn't hold as much power (the clutch would had been replaced/upgraded already as with any stage 2 tune)