GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto start stop function

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I would disable it via Vcds. I drove a loaner for a month with the star-stop function and I hated it every minute.

bertj

Ready to race!
Disconnect the small, two wire, plug that connects into the negative (ground) terminal of the battery alongside the main negative cable. This is the sensor connection that 'tells' the car computer system if the battery is sufficiently charged to allow the start/stop system to operate. You should see a small grey latch on the connector that needs to be released before the plug can be disconnected.
Therefore no connection = no start/stop.

videoguy009

Ready to race!
Disconnect the small, two wire, plug that connects into the negative (ground) terminal of the battery alongside the main negative cable. This is the sensor connection that 'tells' the car computer system if the battery is sufficiently charged to allow the start/stop system to operate. You should see a small grey latch on the connector that needs to be released before the plug can be disconnected.
Therefore no connection = no start/stop.
I have been trying it on for awhile then off for a period of time sorta caught in the middle I guess.I do this thru the Carista app.I really don't know if I like it not.Sorta leaning in the direction of disabling it for good.The GTI transitions pretty smoothly when activated compared to the Merc I had which was very jumpy.I did do the plug thing before buying the Carista.

thrillho

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE DSG
I enjoy it, I try to eek out as much mpg as i can lol. But it's bad when running the ac cuz when the engine is off, the ac doesn't pump out cold air strongly.

D3adk

Long term it will not be good for the engine. I don't care what they say. "Oh but the starter and other parts are more robust".. yeah okay.

When the damage from this system starts showing up the car will be well outside of the warranty and VW will just shrug their shoulders.

Unless you're sitting at a light for a few minutes. It has no purpose. Just another government mandated BS thing for emissions.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SSurfer321

Long term it will not be good for the engine. I don't care what they say. "Oh but the starter and other parts are more robust".. yeah okay.

When the damage from this system starts showing up the car will be well outside of the warranty and VW will just shrug their shoulders.

Unless you're sitting at a light for a few minutes. It has no purpose. Just another government mandated BS thing for emissions.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I had start/stop on my old Volvo V60 and it did 110k miles without starter/battery problems. The Volvo motor was a brand new design, unlike what's in our GTI's.

The system doesn't bother me, as I was already used to it. I do wish that sliding the shifter into Sport Mode would automatically disable start/stop. I would do that in my old car when wanting to jump into a small gap in traffic.