GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto start/stop always defaults off?

shaun3000

Car(s)
7.5 R
I have a new-to-me 2019 R. Auto start/stop always defaults off no matter what drive mode the car is in. The sensor on the battery is plugged in. OBD11 shows the cutoff at 7.8V. As far as I know there is no way to actually disable the auto stop on the 7.5 Golfs. Any ideas why it’s defaulting to off?

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I have a new-to-me 2019 R. Auto start/stop always defaults off no matter what drive mode the car is in. The sensor on the battery is plugged in. OBD11 shows the cutoff at 7.8V. As far as I know there is no way to actually disable the auto stop on the 7.5 Golfs. Any ideas why it’s defaulting to off?

You can't. I've tried.

OBD11 has the option but it's greyed out. Annoying, I know. I actually think the auto start/stop feature is too intrusive in the R. It's also not that smooth. If you figure out a way to do it without long coding with VCDS, let us know.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
There's a long coding workaround that can be done, though it sounds like you've checked for that (since it's just setting the minimum voltage). It's possible to do via OBD11, though the "App" for it doesn't work.

Mine was disabled while it was being tuned, I'm not sure if they normally do that or if the dealer was just annoyed by it. Happy to have it off though, the R isn't something I drive to sip on gas and I'd rather not wait for some throttle when I need it.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I drive in Sport mode all the time (pull back on the shifter when putting the car into Drive) and Auto start/stop is always off for me. Is it possible the previous owner somehow found out how to code Sport mode as the default?

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
There's a long coding workaround that can be done, though it sounds like you've checked for that (since it's just setting the minimum voltage). It's possible to do via OBD11, though the "App" for it doesn't work.

Mine was disabled while it was being tuned, I'm not sure if they normally do that or if the dealer was just annoyed by it. Happy to have it off though, the R isn't something I drive to sip on gas and I'd rather not wait for some throttle when I need it.

It's an option in OBD11, but it's greyed out. At least it was for me.

gdub09

Ready to race!
Battery adaptation value was changed so it will always be off.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
That's weird. If you have the car in Sport Mode it should not turn on Start/Stop. I never have to touch mine to disable it and I have not done any OBD coding changes or anything. Are you driving in Sport mode or just leaving it in D?

Last edited:

peeta

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I just recently got all 3 tunes (DSG, TSI, & Haldex) from United Motorsport and I think the DSG tune automatically disables the start/stop function. Thank goodness too cause I was trying all sorts of things to code it using OBD but it was greyed out for me as well.

Just an option. A really, really expensive option.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just recently got all 3 tunes (DSG, TSI, & Haldex) from United Motorsport and I think the DSG tune automatically disables the start/stop function. Thank goodness too cause I was trying all sorts of things to code it using OBD but it was greyed out for me as well.

Just an option. A really, really expensive option.
Just unplugging it from the battery is free. My EQT DSG tune did not disable it.

shaun3000

Car(s)
7.5 R

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I’m curious if it was. I bought a few weeks ago from a local VW dealer. I specifically asked if if was tuned, they said no but I don’t think they had any idea what they’re talking about. It had an APR carbon fiber intake and turbine inlet pipe which leads me to believe it’s has or was chipped.
Bingo, it was APR Tuned. It seems that function may have remained behind as a ghost despite ECU being flashed back to “stock.”

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Bingo, it was APR Tuned. It seems that function may have remained behind as a ghost despite ECU being flashed back to “stock.”
I'm surprised that the APR tune disables start/stop since it's an emissions related function and they are being so careful to not upset the EPA. The EPA is the reason they stopped selling DP's.