GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto start/stop always defaults off?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I'm surprised that the APR tune disables start/stop since it's an emissions related function and they are being so careful to not upset the EPA. The EPA is the reason they stopped selling DP's.

It doesn't disable it entirely - simply inverts the factory behavior such that, instead of defaulting to ON everytime the vehicle turns on, requiring the driver to turn it OFF everytime they turn it on if they don’t like it, it defaults to OFF, and can be turned ON if/when you want it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It doesn't disable it entirely - simply inverts the factory behavior such that, instead of defaulting to ON everytime the vehicle turns on, requiring the driver to turn it OFF everytime they turn it on if they don’t like it, it defaults to OFF, and can be turned ON if/when you want it.
I wish the same thing could be done to the traction control button. I'm wearing that button out. 😂

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Even the long coding is greyed out?
I think so. I do know that the pre configured option on the GUI is greyed out and can't be selected. I did some research and it's related to emissions. I guess I can understand that to a certain extent, but why not allow someone to make the change voluntarily? Kinda negates the MPG argument if you ask me. I just press the button as part of my start up routine.

I know there is a way to long code it out with VCDS because I've seen someone do it. Was a kid that swapped a digital cluster from a MK7.5 R into a GTI. He long coded every single feature to work flawlessly. Saw it at a meet here in Phoenix. Dude lives in Tucson.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think so. I do know that the pre configured option on the GUI is greyed out and can't be selected. I did some research and it's related to emissions. I guess I can understand that to a certain extent, but why not allow someone to make the change voluntarily? Kinda negates the MPG argument if you ask me. I just press the button as part of my start up routine.

I know there is a way to long code it out with VCDS because I've seen someone do it. Was a kid that swapped a digital cluster from a MK7.5 R into a GTI. He long coded every single feature to work flawlessly. Saw it at a meet here in Phoenix. Dude lives in Tucson.
Don't forget that you can just unhook it from the battery. That's what I did.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
It makes sense for the auto start/stop to be default off because it only turns on when certain parameters are met such as voltage, temp, seat belt etc. It's so annoying that some people want it off permanently.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
It makes sense for the auto start/stop to be default off because it only turns on when certain parameters are met such as voltage, temp, seat belt etc. It's so annoying that some people want it off permanently.

why does it annoy you that it annoys other people lol

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

Each parameter you just listed is the default for daily driving, which is the very reason people want it disabled. Like I said before, VW's iteration of auto start/stop isn't the smoothest. It's too intrusive and the engine doesn't always turn off at the most ideal time causing rough restarts. I think this may be due to the AC compressor turning on / off at the same time or just before / after. I would think if you're running the AC the car would have to reach the preset temp before the start / stop feature would engage causing the engine to turn off.

Which brings me to another point. I'm in Phoenix, my AC is on for about 8 months out of the year. It's even more annoying when the car turns off at a stoplight when it's over 100 degrees outside only to turn right back on because it starts to immediately get hot in the car. How much gas are we really saving here? Tenths of gallons? Maybe hundredths? And then there's the argument of the starter wearing out faster. Would only make sense.

An option in the infotainment software should allow you to disable the feature just like everything else. You can adjust just about every last little thing down to the pitch of the interior noises. Why not be able to disable a little button that allows you to press it and turn it off anyway?

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
For my edification, where is the plug to the battery? And I haven't heard from anyone how to default to off with VCDS. I don't have it but my brother does on his Hyundai. I don't like it at all.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For my edification, where is the plug to the battery? And I haven't heard from anyone how to default to off with VCDS. I don't have it but my brother does on his Hyundai. I don't like it at all.
On my 18 SE the plug is on the rear corner of the battery facing the engine. It's been unplugged since I bought the car.

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
It's been unplugged since I bought the car.
Does it throw any error code or any harm to the car, any warning on the MIB's display?

It's like a "ritual" for me, first thing I do after the ignition is pressing the auto start/stop button, I was thinking to disable it by the VCDS way :|

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Does it throw any error code or any harm to the car, any warning on the MIB's display?

It's like a "ritual" for me, first thing I do after the ignition is pressing the auto start/stop button, I was thinking to disable it by the VCDS way :|
Each time you start the car when you come to a stop the first time a message will pop up briefly and then not again until you shut the car off and back on the next time. I don't notice it anymore and it's just a brief message anyway.

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
There's a module that you can add behind the button. It will remember the state that you want the system to be in, and it will press the button for you if needed.

Sorry for digging up old thread.

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2018 with APR stage 1 changed it to automatically be off. Didn't really want that at first but now I can't imagine going back. It wasn't that smooth (as noted before).

I thought the auto start/stop was more about improving the mileage rating than EPA emissions?