GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Austin TX - tuner recommendations?

oryo

Car(s)
Golf GTI mk7
Considering to get a DP + Stage2.
Contemplating between OTS or not, catless/highflow dp, all the regular things...
I'd like to know if anyone has a positive/negative experience with a tuner in my area (north austin), I've been approached by someone that is working with Eurodyne but I couldn't find any references.

Thanks!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Brink Motorsports

Mike, Michelle, and Mark are great to work with.

oryo

Car(s)
Golf GTI mk7
Cobb, EQT stage 2 tune //thread
It's about $350 more expensive than what I've been offered for a Eurodyne tune, and I need to do the work myself.
I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth the extra price, as I'm not going to tune it further / utilize the gauges etc. I'd also prefer having a professional installing it rather than myself since I'm extremely short in time.

Any big pros towards EQT compared to the aforementioned (or other) custom tune? I'm slightly in favor of getting OTS since I'm assuming the QA on it is stronger.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Called them, they said they're not doing Stage2 anymore due to regulations.
My bad. Should have read your post better. Yeah, that's an APR thing although they did have a non test pipe tune, but as mentioned, Cobb might be better option for stage 2

Grey Ghost

Ready to race!
There’s several shops in Austin that can do the DP, I’d be surprised if Brink wouldn’t install a DP.
But going with an AP is going to be the best route. EQT is great and I recommend them often

oryo

Car(s)
Golf GTI mk7
Bought AP with EQT2, both ECU and DSG.
Installed the downpipe at Mike's from BDTuning, couldn't be happier with the service, highly recommended.

PicositoGTi

Go Kart Champion
I’ve had eqt for years! And I drive my car hard without a single hiccup. I’m stage 2 custom tuned with e35 mix. 😎

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I wanna race your car to see how I do?

You'll toast me. My car is about as fast as a stage 2 gti in a straight line.

But come out to some autoX events for a blast. Austin club does some joint ones with Sasca in Selma.

Also will be doing a COTA event may 20th.

merrilltom

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI
It's about $350 more expensive than what I've been offered for a Eurodyne tune, and I need to do the work myself.
I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth the extra price, as I'm not going to tune it further / utilize the gauges etc. I'd also prefer having a professional installing it rather than myself since I'm extremely short in time.

Any big pros towards EQT compared to the aforementioned (or other) custom tune? I'm slightly in favor of getting OTS since I'm assuming the QA on it is stronger.
I have the EQT stage 2 tune with the integrated engineers downpipe.. Absolutely love it. Prior to this tune, I had APR. I don’t think you can go wrong with EQT, whether you get staged or custom.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Not sure who you're asking, but I have a non test pipe tune which doesn't affect readiness.

But you can fail I think 1 readiness state and still pass. I always forget the details. It's on the state site

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I went to Mike at BDTuning and he did my DP, clutch and Unitronic tune. Couldn't be happier for now. His shop is in Liberty Hill, straight up on 183.
I ended up getting Unitronic as I wanted to "set it and forget it", but those bigger turbos have been making me think I should've gone with EQT.

I also just passed emissions last month. Just had to downgrade to stock tune, ready set the sensors, and go for inspection. No O2 spacer needed as my DP has a 400cell cat.