GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audison APSP G7 (Update: Installed)

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
Compared to the base stock system it's 100% night and day. And the variety of presets they give you out of the box with the preset switcher on the DSP would probably have a profile that you'd be happy with without having to dig into the tuning.

So far I've kept it on "preset 0" which is their "Acoustic" setting for "Detailed mid-high frequencies with perfectly balanced bass". I've been content with this setting so far. I have not noticed any harshness and I tried to give it a thorough critique with a variety of music. I tend to listen to a lot of hip-hop as well as rock, metal, and some electronic, so your mileage may vary.
I was impressed with the way the system handles rock and metal, even with the volume turned up to what I would consider my max listening volume I was not getting any harshness. If anything, I may turn up the higher frequencies just a tad because I like dramatic hi-hats.

It's actually rock and metal I've been struggling with. The guitars on some less well produced tracks (Kill 'Em All, early LoG, etc)are really harsh. So that's great news, thanks man.

IC202

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
The amplifier powers/time-aligns/equalizes all of the channels. It runs the factory rear coaxial speakers and front tweeters at 35 watts RMS at 4 ohms, and the included front mid-range speakers at 65 watts RMS at 2ohms. The included subwoofer is also powered by the amp at 130 watts RMS at 4 ohms.

Thanks for the review! I guess the main question I have is how does it compare to the Helix at almost twice the price. I think you said you haven't personally heard the helix though, we need to find a forum member in your area to compare lol.

Can you tell me about the sub? Is it ported? Sounds like its pretty good for acoustic instruments ( tight punchy kick drums) How is it handling bass-heavy hip-hop? I know it's not going to boom like a ported 12 or something but does it sound like it's going crackle and break?

Do you feel a desire to replace the rear speakers or tweeters or pretty content with this system as is? did you ever get the infotainment fader to work?

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Thanks for the review! I guess the main question I have is how does it compare to the Helix at almost twice the price. I think you said you haven't personally heard the helix though, we need to find a forum member in your area to compare lol.

Can you tell me about the sub? Is it ported? Sounds like its pretty good for acoustic instruments ( tight punchy kick drums) How is it handling bass-heavy hip-hop? I know it's not going to boom like a ported 12 or something but does it sound like it's going crackle and break?

Do you feel a desire to replace the rear speakers or tweeters or pretty content with this system as is? did you ever get the infotainment fader to work?
All great questions! Unfortunately I can't compare to the Helix, only the stock system as well as systems I've installed in my other vehicles. So far, it's outshown all of them due to the highly-adjustable DSP.

The sub is a ported 10" in a box that takes up about half of the underfloor area. It actually surprised me how well it sounded at the lower RMS wattage the amplifier feeds it. I'm not sure what frequency the box is tuned for but it sounds like it's fairly low for a 10". The preset has the rolloff set on the low end at 20 hertz, and there is a slight boost around 60 hertz, which would make sense for a box tuned around 38-40 hertz.
Running at 130 watts RMS it's not going to win any competitions, but I was surprised how well it handled lower bass notes. I made sure to test with the classic 'Jeezy - Put On' as well as 'Wiz - On My Level'. It's plenty volume to make the rearview mirror completely unusable when you turn up the volume and was a lot louder than I expected it to be for a shallow-mounted 10". I'm currently running an Orion XTR 10" in a ported box tuned for 36 hertz at 600 watts RMS in my 4runner (previously had 2 sealed 12"s), so I'm able to compare that pretty well. The sub it comes with is actually capable of 300 watts RMS/900 watts max if you ever want to upgrade and run another dedicated subwoofer amplifier. The Audison AP8.9 bit has a dedicated subwoofer RCA out so you can dial in the tuning on that if you want to run another amp.

I've got no desire to replace the rear speakers at this time, I prefer to have upgraded components up front so you have that "concert" experience of the audio sounding like it's coming primarily from in front of the vehicle.
I'm content with the tweeters right now due to all of the tuning they have done with the stock tweeters, but they would be first on the list if I get the bug to upgrade further. I would say, if you end up deciding you would liketo run this kit, definitely look into buying tweeters. You've got to do all the work of taking out the A-pillars anyways to run the wiring, so it's a good time to upgrade them anyways. They sound great, but I prefer the Rockford-Fosgate tweeters in my 4runner.

Unfortunately I was not able to get the fader working. I'm not sure if it's my headunit or what but it doesn't appear to be the wiring/amplifier. The tuning of the DSP has not been affected thankfully so I'm not too concerned, but it is odd considering the system comes with a module that provides the proper resistance on amplifier startup that is supposed to eliminate that.

EDIT: apologies for any run-on sentences, it's been a long day at work.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Perhaps the time alignment or something is preventing fading as that would throw it out of whack. Audison may center the sound to the driver, not the dash. That would require time alignment and decreasing the level of the right side drivers a bit if I'm not mistaken.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Perhaps the time alignment or something is preventing fading as that would throw it out of whack. Audison may center the sound to the driver, not the dash. That would require time alignment and decreasing the level of the right side drivers a bit if I'm not mistaken.

That's a great point, I'm not sure. I know the codes are just generic "Bass Speaker Open Circuit" for all of the main 6.5" drivers in the car. On Preset 0, the DSP is supposed to be "centered for all occupants", however once I started digging into the settings a bit it's still tailored to the driver. Less so than Preset's 1-3, but still driver-focused to some degree. They are actually using a combination of time-alignment as well as non-symmetrical EQ-curves to get the best sound for the driver. (They are also using different crossover's on each side which I can't figure out, I've never seen that before)

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Different crossovers per side. That's some next level stuff there. I've never thought of trying that before.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
Hello all!

I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has experience with the Audison plug and play audio upgrade for the MK7. I went ahead and ordered the kit from a German seller, hoping to have it delivered in two weeks or so. I ordered the kit along with the optional APBX G7 subwoofer. From my research, it doesn't look like too many people are running this kit due to the Helix being a worthy-upgrade (at an admittedly much better price). I mainly wanted a configurable DSP for the ability to upgrade the tweeters and rear speakers down the line (the kit only comes with front woofers).

If anyone has experience with this kit, do you run the "off-the-shelf" tuning profiles? If so, which setting do you use?

Thanks!
I do not run this kit, but I will tell you this...Audison anything is very very good!

On my 2017 GTI, I currently run Audison Voce K6's front and rear, hooked up a 9-band equalizer, sound processor, and (2) 12' subs with tow amplifiers, dedicated to the subs and the speakers. I have good quality subs, amps, equalizer, and sound processor, but the whole setup really shines with the Audison speakers. I have had pretty high quality speakers in my life, ranging from Alpine Type-R's and Polk Audio MM's to Focal K2's, and the Audison Voce K6's blow them out of the water in terms of sound output and clarity. I no longer will be able to go away from Audison speakers, they're that good. Would like to have a full Audison sound processor setup someday, but thats when it gets very expensive.

What I'm trying to say is, you can't go wrong with Audison. I did look at the setup you bought before I decided to do it my own way, but I did think the price was a bit high for what you're getting.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Not sure about this comment. I have it and it uses same point for both sides.

Maybe one of us has a different version of software, but my kit definitely has a different crossover per side. Not by much, but it's different. See images below. All other speakers have a different cutoff left/right as well.

Front Left Woofer :

1630876787839.png

Front Right Woofer:

1630876773161.png

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
A few posts up, Avery mentioned something about non symmetrical xovers points. I never thought about doing that before. Knowing what little i know about audison dsp, you can go into settings and change it to expert mode and have much more adjustability. This is from bit ten experience. Maybe the ap kit has the same. Could be a great way to fix frequency spikes near the xover point.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
That is odd. Mine is 80-4500 both sides

Super odd.. I'll have to check which software version I'm running. This is on the first preset right? You haven't changed the dial on the amp?
I'm glad someone else is running this kit, I couldn't find anyone before I installed it. Have you changed any settings in there so far?