GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi TTS front caliper option!

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
So ttrs calipers, ttrs rotors, ttrs brake lines, ttrs brake pads, and ttrs dust shield. Did I forget anything or is that all I need to do the swap?

That should be it. The calipers I got came with the pins and springs. If the ones you get don't then you'll need those. Some manufacturers include them with pads, but otherwise you can get the hardware set from zeckhausen.

Only other thing you'll need to decide is how you want to handle the wear sensor. You can code it out with VCDS or OBD11 or you can just snip the one off your stock pads and make a little jumper wire and heat shrink it, which is what I did. I think ECS sells a pre-made jumper also if you don't feel like making your own.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
That should be it. The calipers I got came with the pins and springs. If the ones you get don't then you'll need those. Some manufacturers include them with pads, but otherwise you can get the hardware set from zeckhausen.

Only other thing you'll need to decide is how you want to handle the wear sensor. You can code it out with VCDS or OBD11 or you can just snip the one off your stock pads and make a little jumper wire and heat shrink it, which is what I did. I think ECS sells a pre-made jumper also if you don't feel like making your own.
The wear sensor should work, as long as you get pads with that feature.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie

Golf R pads have it integrated into the pad. TTRS pads have a little slots in each pad for theirs to clip into. Not sure if the plug is the same or not, but I wasn't worried about it as I visually check mine on the regular.

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone heard of the 370mm stock rotors being poor quality?

Vagbremtechnic said they only offer 340 and 362mm options because the stock 370mm ones are bad quality.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Has anyone heard of the 370mm stock rotors being poor quality?

Vagbremtechnic said they only offer 340 and 362mm options because the stock 370mm ones are bad quality.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
Trust me. Thay are bad... That's why it's possible to buy cheap online. No one wants them... [emoji4] But if you are only driving at the streets as a DD. Then they will work.... [emoji4]
I have the vagbremtechnic 362x32mm disc kit. I am also a heavy track driver. This kit is amazing... [emoji4] I only change brake pads and fluid. That's it... [emoji4] [emoji106]

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
I haven't see anything about "poor quality," only that, if you're tracking, the venting isn't optimal since it's directional and therefore will be going the wrong way on one side.

If you're doing a lot of track then I'd either do the 362 or go for a set of Girodisc 370's.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I think the quality comment has to do with their poor heat management characteristics. They get hot and don't cool well, then feel awful.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
The important consideration is whether you're going to be tracking the car or not.

I didn't have any issues at the Tail of the Dragon and that's as hard as I'm likely to ever test mine.

If I was tracking a bunch though I'd go the 340mm route since stock size rotors can be had dirt cheap.

Last edited:

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
I haven't see anything about "poor quality," only that, if you're tracking, the venting isn't optimal since it's directional and therefore will be going the wrong way on one side.

If you're doing a lot of track then I'd either do the 362 or go for a set of Girodisc 370's.

thats what vagbremtechnic told me as well. just the venting is perfect for left side but right side its not.

gonna look into the 362x32mm kit. going to see if i can source the calipers and dust shield locally (i have a friend that works at audi), and then the kit will have the rest of the pieces i'll need (brackets/lines/rotors/etc.)

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed

just to confirm, the connector is the same on the audi rs3/ttrs front pads as the mk7 golf r?

looking over at ecs i only found a sensor bypass but not a sensor conversion, so i guess it should be the same?

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
just to confirm, the connector is the same on the audi rs3/ttrs front pads as the mk7 golf r?

looking over at ecs i only found a sensor bypass but not a sensor conversion, so i guess it should be the same?
Not sure. My pads lack that feature so my original sensor is just ziptied out of the way. I'd think the R sensor would probably slide in. Not sure though. It should certainly be possible to have a sensor, though, however you end up having to do it. Worst case you'd attach the TTRS sensor to the R sensor cable and be off to the races.

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
thats what vagbremtechnic told me as well. just the venting is perfect for left side but right side its not.

gonna look into the 362x32mm kit. going to see if i can source the calipers and dust shield locally (i have a friend that works at audi), and then the kit will have the rest of the pieces i'll need (brackets/lines/rotors/etc.)
Nothing to do with with the venting being oposit in one side. The disc itself can't get rid of the excessive amount of heat. So it becomes warmer and warmer. This again results in pads overheating...
Trust me. For tracks OEM 370mm and 340mm (clubsport S) disk is not recommended. 340/345mm OEM steel disc is actuabetter... But again the heat will kill the pads eventually...
If you track. Save your self alot of pain and money. Just buy the vagbremtechnic kit that uses an original AP racing disc. [emoji4]
Just my advice...
In one of the attached photos you will find a temp sticker. I really had to work to make it react on temperature... [emoji4] This was racing against Porsche GT3 and GT2 Cup cars....

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
Not sure. My pads lack that feature so my original sensor is just ziptied out of the way. I'd think the R sensor would probably slide in. Not sure though. It should certainly be possible to have a sensor, though, however you end up having to do it. Worst case you'd attach the TTRS sensor to the R sensor cable and be off to the races.

The sensor for the R is part of the pad, not removable like the TTRS sensor.

The TTRS also uses a sensor on each pad, whereas the R only uses it on one.

Not sure if the plug is the same or not. If it is then you should be able to use the TTRS sensor setup, but it's going to cost ~$65 or so to find out.

If you work on your car regularly or in general just pay attention to things you should know if your pads are getting low anyway, so I did the DIY bypass.