GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Audi" Throttle Response Mod OBDeleven - 2018 MK7.5 GTI

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
Just wanted to add to the ever-growing list of resources for coding with OBDeleven. There are some great threads here already, but I didn't want to hijack anyone else's thread, so here's another one! Another thread may be overkill, but sifting through thread after thread and pulling bits of information can get overwhelming, or at least it did for me. If this has been covered before, I apologize, but with the coronavirus quarantine, I'm losing my mind and trying to occupy myself.

One thing that seems to be a recurring theme amongst mk7 and mk7.5 owners is frustration about how VW neutered power in first and second gear. Luckily, OBDeleven and VCDS allows use to work around those issues. It seems like the most common tweaks for letting our cars get out of their own way are the following:

1. Code traction control all the way off
2. Code starting vibration reduction off (mk7) or turning off rough road optimization (mk7.5)
3. Switching driving profile from gradual over time to directly controlled by threshold value

A mod that I found to help acceleration, and rev matching a lot easier was long coding Engine Control Module 1 from Manufacturer "Volkswagen/Seat/Skoda" to "Audi." Doing so has it's pros and cons. Below are the steps that I used for a 2018 MK7.5 GTI. Your mileage may vary.

To perform this mod
1. Module 01 - Engine Control (no security code needed)
2. Long coding
3. Byte 00, Hex 09
4. Uncheck Volkswagen/Seat/Skoda Option (first checkbox)
5. Check second checkbox for Audi
6. Save long coding.

Below are the pros and cons that I noticed on a 2018 6 speed GTI S. Mods include IE downpipe, aFe panel filter, snow grate removal, BFI dogbone mount, and various shifter mods. OBDeleven tweaks include ESC off, RRO off, driving profile set to "directly controlled by threshold," XDS set to "strong," soundaktor completely removed. Over the course of a few days, I switched back and forth between Audi and VW throttle modes and tried different ESC settings. Not so much a scientific test as much as my random musings and findings.

Pros
1. Good lord, theres a lot more power available throughout the entire powerband. Whenever I add more gas, the car moves
2. Taking off from a start - the car gets out of it's own way!
3. Rev matching is a delight. A quick blip of the throttle and the needle jumps without any hesitation.
4. Much less hesitation between pedal input and the correlation in RPM.
5. The car feels fast!!

Cons
1. Error codes - Databus error codes in Module 01 Engine Control and Module 03 ABS Control
2. Cruise control error/lack of working cruise control. I don't use cruise control so not a big deal to me.
3. DRASTIC hit in gas mileage. Unclear as to whether this is a function of the mod or enjoying the throttle. Or the fact that a lot of driving took place with a mountain bike on top of my car...
4. The car really feels faster across the board. Driving by muscle memory with the accelerator in the same place and using minimal throttle inputs got me going a little too quickly and earned myself a ticket lol.

When I coded back to Volkswagen/Seat/Skoda, all error codes stayed away once I cleared them and cruise control came back. Some people have reported issues that their cruise control gets nuked by the mod and never comes back. You have been warned!

Thank you for attending my ted talk. Stay safe and healthy out there!

RaySkodaTSI

Ready to race!
the fix only works on ACC cars. On regular cars there is no ACC module to code. Also ABS module doesn't have the mfg code. So unless we find a way to code all the affected Modules to Audi, this remains a No No. Cruise control I dont give give a damn about, but ABS controller errors should not be taken lightly.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
And the bear of it is, that change is doing zero to your accelerator/throttle that I could tell logging. Pedal box is the only way you are goign to change that. People want these to work so badly they are just pushing the pedal harder and experiencing a classic placebo effect.

I did some logging of the "Audi" mod - didn't do a thing that I could see. Also logged a pedal box (post #78) so you can see what that looks like. I was able to get my cruise back after playing the Audi mod but I have the pedestrian normal cruise vs. ACC. Audi bits start at post#52. Nice summary of all of my work is post #79. Example of placebo post #49.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...uot-direct-throttle-quot-VCDS-OBDEleven-tweak