GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi s3 springs on golf r

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Never heard of them

Swift springs are an upgrade option for some coilover kits, but can be sourced as an alternative for most kits if you want to replace them yourself. They make a variety of different springs including helpers. They have smaller and fewer coils allowing the spring to react different than a typical linear wound spring. Most people love them.

I will say this. You seem to have reservations about Eibach, but they are the leaders in spring design and manufacturing. There are several other companies out there who source and rebrand Eibach springs with their kits. You’d be surprised to see the list of top tier offerings that source Eibach, or have Eibach build springs to their spec, KW being the most notable.

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself, what you want to do with your car? How do you want it to perform for the type of driving you do? Your idea of the ultimate suspension setup may be completely different than the next guy. Most people over the age of 25 start to realize that a car that constantly beats the shit out of them isn’t ideal for street driving and either have a second car or look into more sensible options. You haven’t really said what your goals are or whether this was your only car.

Greg_mk7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
Swift springs are an upgrade option for some coilover kits, but can be sourced as an alternative for most kits if you want to replace them yourself. They make a variety of different springs including helpers. They have smaller and fewer coils allowing the spring to react different than a typical linear wound spring. Most people love them.

I will say this. You seem to have reservations about Eibach, but they are the leaders in spring design and manufacturing. There are several other companies out there who source and rebrand Eibach springs with their kits. You’d be surprised to see the list of top tier offerings that source Eibach, or have Eibach build springs to their spec, KW being the most notable.

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself, what you want to do with your car? How do you want it to perform for the type of driving you do? Your idea of the ultimate suspension setup may be completely different than the next guy. Most people over the age of 25 start to realize that a car that constantly beats the shit out of them isn’t ideal for street driving and either have a second car or look into more sensible options. You haven’t really said what your goals are or whether this was your only car.
I only have reservations about eibach because of the lower than oem front spring rate on their pro kit. Its where I feel like the car needs more spring rate not less. Im thinking about 034 springs as they are also a minimal drop but unlike eibach they have a higher spring rate. Only thing holding me back is the noise of the springs binding that some people have experienced.

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Have you looked into the new APR lowering springs? 320/360 rates, so about 50% stiffer than stock. I have a set waiting to be installed in my own car.

Also while Swift makes quality springs, let’s not act like they are some kind of magic. All the placebo effect marketing claims on their site is exactly that.

Greg_mk7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
Have you looked into the new APR lowering springs? 320/360 rates, so about 50% stiffer than stock. I have a set waiting to be installed in my own car.

Also while Swift makes quality springs, let’s not act like they are some kind of magic. All the placebo effect marketing claims on their site is exactly that.
I did, I want less of a drop and I also dont know how my struts will cope with that much of a higher spring rate, they increase a substantial amount over stock compared to all the other options.

Greg_mk7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
I’ll report back once I have them installed. My car currently has Bilstein B6 shocks, and I’ve had success putting much stiffer springs on Bilsteins in the past on a different platform.
Nice, thats what I just installed recently, b6 damptronic.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I only have reservations about eibach because of the lower than oem front spring rate on their pro kit. Its where I feel like the car needs more spring rate not less. Im thinking about 034 springs as they are also a minimal drop but unlike eibach they have a higher spring rate. Only thing holding me back is the noise of the springs binding that some people have experienced.

I can't overstate this...

Do. Not. Buy. 034

I had these on my R for 1 day. The spring binding and slamming noises sounded like the car was literally falling apart. Horrific driving experience.

Greg_mk7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
Thanks, ive read some reviews that have had the same experience as you with them and others that have no noises. I was told that the problems with them were some of the early batches of springs but im still skeptical, cant find too many reviews of them.
I can't overstate this...

Do. Not. Buy. 034

I had these on my R for 1 day. The spring binding and slamming noises sounded like the car was literally falling apart. Horrific driving experience.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Depending on what Eibach springs, assuming pro kit? The thread poster is unhappy with the spring rate and feel of the front spring especially with the eibach prokit (see discussions on previous pages), but +1 to another person "liking" them.

From what I gather, they (topic poster) would like something stiffer (actually published rate) for the front of the car, especially.

IMO...the B6 shocks did much more for the fantastic-ness of the car...the prokit springs just happened to be there along for the ride...so to speak. They are the slow kid in kindergarten eating the glue paste and crayons, while their parents with multiple PH.Ds framed in mahogany on their walls are calling them "gifted" and just "misunderstood". In reality much smarter/athletic kids (spring options...) exist for what the poster is trying to accomplish. The B6s are helping infinitely more than the springs.

Possibly in a perfect world, with perfectly engineered germ-man smooth, properly cambered, radius-ed roads, and laboratory stable environments maybe the pro-kit "works" better. Even the individual defending the "but the math" on the forum had to try multiple iterations of prokit and bump stop combo on their vehicle, from what I gathered from the post. Most want to take the car apart only once.

Looking to increase the suspension capability/feel of a car having had/driven multiple suspension iterations on the mk5 and up chassis including a prokit equipped vehicle. I would and advise others to pick another spring option.

"Most" of the time "but the math" is correct and am thankful we have individuals on the forum willing to "but the math", but there are always exceptions, and the pro kit (front rate on Rs) for most seems to be an exception.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I agree and disagree here. In theory the dead coils do nothing, however with a similar ride height - H&R to Eibach linear GTI kit - it was a big difference for me. I might be different here, but I don't like "floaty" vehicles. W/ the H&R it felt to me around ride height (at 60mph on flat looking roads) the body is constantly moving up and down just a couple of millimeters. This behavior was gone w/ factory springs and each Eibach variant I've tried. Just my 2c.
You know....my son has Koni Sports with Eibach Pro (linear) springs on his Focus and to your point there is less of the moving up and down you mention. Maybe that dead coil portion is extending and compressing at a high frequency on v. small road imperfections because the rate is low vs. the main portion of the spring if that makes sense?