GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi S3 PCV

slogti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
APR Stage 1+ GTI
Has anyone swapped their stock pcv to the s3 one part #06K103495BM? Wondering if doing this with the upgraded ecs breather hose for just about $250 is a better or more cost effective pcv solution rather than a $600 catch can.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Has anyone swapped their stock pcv to the s3 one part #06K103495BM? Wondering if doing this with the upgraded ecs breather hose for just about $250 is a better or more cost effective pcv solution rather than a $600 catch can.

Only a proper catch can system that deletes the PCV will help reduce carbon buildup.

jibbajoe

Passed Driver's Ed
the only reason to upgrade the PCV is if you track the car hard. there is a reported oil surge issue with the stock PCV under high g-loads. and the only catch can systems that work are the ones that replace the entire PCV assembly.

the "cost effective" PCV solution for the GTI is an OEM PCV.

Dragk913

Go Kart Newbie
Running higher levels of boost is enough of a reason to upgrade the PCV. An EQT Vortex on 32psi sucks a LOT of oil through the stock PCV during aggressive daily driving (ask me how I know(n)).
FCPEuro stopped recommending the S3 PCV "upgrade" because, despite the initial reports being positive, users were still having issues with it. After I picked up my RS3, I de-tuned the Golf R to 30psi and installed the 06K103495BL PCV and have not had any issues with oil during aggressive daily driving (only the normal misting in the turbo inlet). I don't know why I went with the BL version over the BM one, but it's holding up well.

ETA: I wouldn't bother wasting money on the ECS "upgraded" breather hose. If you're okay with spending $250, why not just up the budget by $50 and buy a used Spulen/etc system?

jibbajoe

Passed Driver's Ed
ETA: I wouldn't bother wasting money on the ECS "upgraded" breather hose. If you're okay with spending $250, why not just up the budget by $50 and buy a used Spulen/etc system?

its only $115 for the breather hose. For me it was $85 to replace the leaking stock hose or $115 for the upgraded kit. Seemed like a no brainer. and it is bone dry still, no leaks. If your stock hose is leaking oil and you want a replacement the ECS upgraded hose is perfect. otherwise there is no point in doing it.

and that is a good point about high boost on the PCV. i have no experience with that but it makes sense.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I recently returned the ECS breather hose due to a number of issues.
1) Reduced diameter of PCV hose (due to the adapter sections
2) Larger bulker size (incompatible with some inlets and intakes)
3) Original PCV + ECS breather hose had an O-ring mismatch, which caused a variety of issues. (Matched new replacement PCV though)
4) It's nearly impossible to remove the ECS Section which attaches to the PCV without removing the PCV. It extends over the lip, so you can't leverage to wedge it off the clip.

Additionally I had combined this with the 034 motorsports inlet, which has a significantly smaller PCV opening, which just exasperated my issues.

I replaced it with the new revision OEM Stock PCV hose which had the nice clip (vs the hellish one the original rev was).

slogti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
APR Stage 1+ GTI
Update : ended up just going full send on a leyo occ thank you guys for all the info.

slogti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
APR Stage 1+ GTI
Update I apologize for not taking a picture of the plate I already had installed it by the time I saw the original question.