GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi B9 A4 4 piston calipers on mk7 gti non pp

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So in my adventure to go cheap, I stumbled across a set of 4 piston calipers off of a 2017 audi a4. The price was right so I purchased them. After a bit of research and trial and error I now have these calipers on my 2015 non pp gti. The syopping power is unbelievable! Normal driving feels stock, but hard braking makes you think your eyeballs are going to slam into the windshield. Here is the parts list to get you to this point.

8W0615108C right caliper

8W0615107C left caliper

EBC Brakes BSD1838 BSD Blade Disc... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YU6LMUW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share (these are 320mmx30mm rotors off of a b8 a4 2013)

https://apikol.com/product/rotor-centering-rings-65-68mm/
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/ball-seat-stud-conversion-flush-kit/001467ecs00kt/
Techna-fit custom brake lines. ( a4 caliper side to gti hardline side, I'd recommend 26"in length) email chris@techna-fit.com. price was $59 shipped for mine.

The flush kit is only needed if you are using stock wheels. I unfortunately did now weigh these 2 setups, but research has said that this setup is 15lbs lighter than stock.

After you get your car jacked up/on lift, with the tires off, you will be needing a 21mm socket and large breaker bar. Remove the old caliper and carrier.
20200114_152955.jpg
20200114_153011.jpg
20200114_153136.jpg

Now, using a T30 bit and alot of luck, remove old rotor. Here I didn't take many pictures due to working alone and not wanting to get my phone nasty. Once you have the old rotor off ,clean up the center of the hub if rust is visible. Slide on the rotor ring and new rotor and secure with the T30 screw.
20200114_160259.jpg
20200114_160308.jpg

Also, if you have the stud conversion kit like I purchased, install it first to help align everything.

Now time to install the caliper. The stock bolts are 2mm too long at this point. I used some stainless steel washers to get the correct fit. Tighten to 150ft/lbs. When you place the left caliper in the left side of the car, you will notice the bleeders are on bottom. Take off the bleeders and cross over tube and swap locations. You will have to massage the crossover tube slightly to get it to fit. Use caution and try not to kink the tube. I attempted to put the left caliper on the right side, however, this would not work due to the way the caliper is molded. One of the mounting tabs hits the spindle not allowing the bolt to thread in.
20200114_162039.jpg
20200114_165735.jpg
20200114_153211.jpg

Now it's time to install your new brake line. I ordered 24" lines and they are a little tighter than I prefer, so I would recommend 26" just to be safe.
20200114_165740.jpg

Bleed the system. There is now 2 bleeders per caliper so make sure to do all 4 bleeding points thoroughly. Reinstall wheel ant tighten nuts /bolts to spec. Bed in new breaks per pad/rotor specifications. Have fun with your new brakes! (Please excuse the dirty car pictures. )
20200114_195039.jpg

Last edited:

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Here is the clearance on stock Austin's

Attachments

• 20200114_195053.jpg
    20200114_195053.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 428

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I had to Google those....

Basically the Conititeves brand version of the Audi TT-S (Ate brand) 4-pot calipers which don't have pad removal slots...

BUT you have 320mm discs & not 340mm discs??...interesting....!!

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I found it interesting also. The sweep area is perfect and no pad overhang. Probably not the most ideal track setup, but for street they are amazing!

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
This is true. I found a set for 120 with pads.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Whats the OEM disc size that is used with the calipers then??

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Thanks for the writeup! Did you use the 312mm caliper carriers off of your non PP GTI, or did the A4 calipers come with their own carriers?

Would you also be able to measure the distance between the center of the wheel cap and the edge of the caliper? I just want to roughly see if my 16" OEM wheels would fit. The Austins look like they have a huge step down on the barrel which makes the clearance look smaller.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Thanks for the writeup! Did you use the 312mm caliper carriers off of your non PP GTI, or did the A4 calipers come with their own carriers?

Caliper carriers are used on the oem single piston sliding calipers.
Solid calipers either bolt directly to the knuckle or require brackets. These Audi calipers are solid with 4 pistons and brake parts from the MLB chassis seem to fit well on MQB cars

The A4 uses 338mm rotors. I wonder if the 340mm or 345mm rotor from the MK6/7R would fit ?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Caliper carriers are used on the oem single piston sliding calipers.
Solid calipers either bolt directly to the knuckle or require brackets. These Audi calipers are solid with 4 pistons and brake parts from the MLB chassis seem to fit well on MQB cars

The A4 uses 338mm rotors. I wonder if the 340mm or 345mm rotor from the MK6/7R would fit ?
Unfortunately the 320mm is the largest rotor you can use without a bracket. You are correct on the no carrier part though.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
great write up! Glad you were able to make them work :)
Thanks man! Couldn't have done it without you. I got a feeling that more of those calipers you are finding will be sold in the near future.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Currently ordering the lines from chris@technafit. Will post pics in the next coming weeks of my install. All in all gonna be ~$400 for an awesome oem++ street setup and a huge upgrade over non-PP brakes.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Currently ordering the lines from chris@technafit. Will post pics in the next coming weeks of my install. All in all gonna be ~$400 for an awesome oem++ street setup and a huge upgrade over non-PP brakes.
Your going to love it!

xxxxxx

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Car
Your going to love it!

Did you have issues swapping the crossovers and bleeders? It seems like the spacing between holes is slightly different, I would have to bend the crossovers in by ~5mm either side to get them to fit where the bleeders were.