GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi 15 spoke 18x9 on a golf mk7 1.8. Should I be weary of anything?

mrclean96

Car(s)
2015 Golf Mk7 1.8
Hey everyone, new to the car scene so I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Just picked up a 2015 golf 1.8 and I'm trying to figure out what will and what wont work. Friend of mine is a mechanic and just sold me a set of 18x9 Audi titanium rims off his A5 for a great price. I just went stage 1 Uni and so far, I'm loving it. I'm currently running on the stock 15" rims (yuck, I know) and some fairly thin tires and it's been performing pretty solid. My concern is that the 18x9's I just picked up have Michelin 235 width tires on them, and I'm trying to figure out if running on stock suspension will be enough to prevent my tires from annihilating my fender or vice versa. I want to have some form of confidence if I accidentally hit a pot hole. I've heard on some gens that 9 wides poke out a little bit and I'm wondering if the clearance and suspension will be enough to prevent that damage from happening. I should also probably say that I want to avoid a front camber, if at all possible. I've seen people talk about 9 wides and tire widths for GTI's and R's but never the 1.8 and how it handles them.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
The fender well should be the same, it all comes down to the offset on the wheel. If it’s 18x9 ET45 it should fit no problem. If it’s an ET35 or something it may rub on the fender. Do you know the offset? It may be stamped on the backside of the wheel

mrclean96

Car(s)
2015 Golf Mk7 1.8
The fender well should be the same, it all comes down to the offset on the wheel. If it’s 18x9 ET45 it should fit no problem. If it’s an ET35 or something it may rub on the fender. Do you know the offset? It may be stamped on the backside of the wheel
Thanks for the reply! If I'm correct it looks like the offset is ET43.

Attachments

• 20210923_144725.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 52

CiDirkona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK3 TT, MK1 Atlas SE
https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator# This is the tool I use for doing the math on wheel offset. Tread width matters quite a bit too though. If I was really concerned with rubbing, I'd either roll the fenders or pick a narrower tire (205 vs 215 for example, much at the detriment to traction unfortunately.)

18x9x43 should be pretty close though. Most Audi fitments are in the 35 range, which pushes them 10mm further towards the outside of the fender well.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Didn't realize A5 had 18x9et43.
Thought the only 18x9 that
would fit were the TTS, but those are et52 so need a spacer.