GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ATTENTION HERMAN MILLER AERON USERS

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I have an older "B" that I've had for about 3 months. As a "work" chair, sitting with good posture, I think it's unbeatable. But as a slouch-with-feet-up-on-desk chair, which is frequently my posture at my "work" desk at home, I find it to be less ideal than some of my previous crappy chairs. I have lumbar support so no issues there - I wouldn't want to use this chair without it. I've also added a headrest from Atlas and can recommend it wholeheartedly, despite its hefty price tag.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I have an older "B" that I've had for about 3 months. As a "work" chair, sitting with good posture, I think it's unbeatable. But as a slouch-with-feet-up-on-desk chair, which is frequently my posture at my "work" desk at home, I find it to be less ideal than some of my previous crappy chairs. I have lumbar support so no issues there - I wouldn't want to use this chair without it. I've also added a headrest from Atlas and can recommend it wholeheartedly, despite its hefty price tag.

Yeah I definitely want to pick up the Atlas headrest if the chair ends up sticking around hah.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
I have access to multiple Herman Miller chairs at work. My whole company is furnished with Herman Miller stuff. Some people love the Aeron, some people hate it, and that is true of all of the Herman Miller chairs. Embody is the one that works best for me.

Aeron was more or less completely redesigned a few years ago, and it sits differently than the original. Maybe that is your issue, you liked the old design and not the new.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I have access to multiple Herman Miller chairs at work. My whole company is furnished with Herman Miller stuff. Some people love the Aeron, some people hate it, and that is true of all of the Herman Miller chairs. Embody is the one that works best for me.

Aeron was more or less completely redesigned a few years ago, and it sits differently than the original. Maybe that is your issue, you liked the old design and not the new.

Never tried the old design, but maybe hah.
We will see how this week goes.
I do think it is getting better.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Ah sorry thought you meant you upgraded from an original aeron.

Nope! This was my first foray into the world off high end office chairs lol.
I did sit in a classic for less than 5 min just to check one out but that was it.
But you have a valid point. From my research, there are a lot of people who prefer the classic to the remastered for various reasons...

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Nope! This was my first foray into the world off high end office chairs lol.
I did sit in a classic for less than 5 min just to check one out but that was it.
But you have a valid point. From my research, there are a lot of people who prefer the classic to the remastered for various reasons...

Well if the Aeron ends up not being for you, I would suggest trying a Mirra 2 or Embody. Those in my office who do not like the Aeron seem to regularly like those.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Well I'm coming up on a month and I'm happy to report that I am like 8/10 on the comfort scale when before I was about a 2 or 3 lol.
I'm still having a bit of soreness right in the middle of my back now on my spine around where the Posturefit system is. And it is not sore all the time only when I'm leaning back and putting pressure on that area.
So I'm confident I will get there. But if for some reason another month goes by and I'm not at a 9 or 10 it will probably be bye bye hah.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Man oh man what a journey it has been. But I said bye-bye to the Aeron and today is the first day with my new Steelcase Gesture.

That pain in my lower-mid back never went away. I thought I was good to go by the end of October. I was feeling pretty good and was happy.
But then I took 2 weeks of of work and when I came back it was like a total reset. I was back to where I started, and even worse because now on the way home my GTI seat was hurting my back, an issue I never had ever.
I said ok, I will try again and get back to where I was...but it wasn't happening.

I will say that I miss it. I do like it better than its replacement. The tilt/recline function was so nice compared to the Gesture. I will miss the mesh to cool my ass. And I'll miss the overall look and build of it.
But at the end of the day, what's the point if I'm in pain?
So far, I feel like the Gesture is more comfortable. But I think it may take some time to get used to this one now. With my back hurting in any chair right now it is sort of hard to say.
I'm hoping over the next week or so the pain will dissipate, but I can tell I'm already more comfortable.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I'm actually retrofitting a PostureFit kit on my classic Aeron and it's arriving today. Sad to hear the Aeron didn't work out for ya.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Aeron too skinny for people with thick legs
That's why they've got different sizes. I had a Size C for a while and I'm a smaller dude. I was swimming in it. It was so large that it was uncomfortable merely due to that fact. Only reason I had a C was because I bought it used/broken for $50. Fixed it for another $100 and used it for a while. Finally traded it for a Size B and I'm much, much happier.
Size C was like a hot dog in a hallway. Hard to imagine the yams that would make a Size C feel small.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I do like those Embodies...and the Cosm.
But what sold me on the Gesture was the "posture study" Steelcase did and designed the Gesture around it.

https://www.steelcase.com/research/.../beta-testing-new-sitting-experience-gesture/

Basically they say with today's technology and environment, people are prone to move around a lot more in their chairs these days.
I looked at the picture in the link and thought huh, I sit in a lot of those positions.
The Aeron seems to focus on basically one sitting position, and if you try to sit in it in a way it is not designed, it will punish you for it.
And I think that may have been one of my big problems. I can't just get in a chair and sit perfectly straight all day.
So, seeing that the Gesture was engineered/designed to take someone like me into account, I figured it may be one of my better choices.
So here we are lol.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
That's why they've got different sizes. I had a Size C for a while and I'm a smaller dude. I was swimming in it. It was so large that it was uncomfortable merely due to that fact. Only reason I had a C was because I bought it used/broken for $50. Fixed it for another $100 and used it for a while. Finally traded it for a Size B and I'm much, much happier.
Size C was like a hot dog in a hallway. Hard to imagine the yams that would make a Size C feel small.
yams... former linebacker/ heavy squatter... then I gained some weight post college. I mean It was my office's chair, but I switched to Embody which was better as it didn't have the side pieces that poked my legs. I have a Gamer Chair in my office and had to bend the "Racer" style sides down to be more comfortable. Both good chairs tho depends on your body size