GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Reactions: zef

smanierre

Autocross Champion
It's probably 30 minutes or so from you. You're always welcome to come check it out

Thankfully no known overheating issues so far but hottest I think I've run is 88-90F ambient. Either way an oil cooler is a sound investment.

I'll probably make it up there at some point to see it, and also the cars inside it.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I decided that I am going to fully dedicate the car to time attack next year so this winter there will be a lot of development toward safety, chassis & suspension tuning, and maybe a little power. Parting out some of my goodies to fund race car things. See my classifieds ad below.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/inde...-seibon-fenders-osram-headlights-more.369557/
A more complete update will be coming soon. Stay tuned.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Garage build is finally complete...everything is moved over as of today and tear down is beginning.

I am picking up my race seat from the post office tomorrow... much excite!

Just to show some before + afters....

torga

Autocross Champion
Oh yeah, that is a nice tool corner!!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Usually I like to post updates every couple weeks or so but this was too exciting not to share...

My Sparco race seat came in and I fit PERFECTLY. It's also incredibly light. This seat has to only weigh like 10 pounds, if that. FIA certified to boot.

Got my hands on a used autopower roll bar from a local friend, and sparco 6 points are en route. Interior disassembly will commence shortly.

For reference, I am 6' 5" and 240 pounds (~38 pant size). Even the harness holes are perfect height which is usually a big concern since im so tall.

https://www.sparcousa.com/product/evo-ii-qrt

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Question - you are going with STOCK fenders + flares in order to run wider? How much are you going to be flaring the fenders out? Curious how much more that will provide than the seibons

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Question - you are going with STOCK fenders + flares in order to run wider? How much are you going to be flaring the fenders out? Curious how much more that will provide than the seibons
i mean you can cut metal and add flares to go wider than the seibon, i was assuming that is his plan here...

torga

Autocross Champion
i mean you can cut metal and add flares to go wider than the seibon, i was assuming that is his plan here...
That's exactly what I figured he'd do and why he's selling the Seibon set - you wouldn't want to cut/hack up such a premium set of carbon wings, and you can basically go as wide as your heart desires with cut stocks and custom flares.

zef

Drag Racing Champion

Correct. I will have to get the wheels first and measure. I am thinking a 40mm flare might fit, if not I'll have to step up to a 70mm. The seibons only do 25mm, which is perfectly fine for anything up to a 9.5"

I also know a guy who makes fender louvers which will be much more aerodynamically effective than the seibon vent, though its still perfectly functional.

I'll be going with a 285 on a 10.5" +38 in the front, and a 225/40 on a 18x8.5 in the rear.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Correct. I will have to get the wheels first and measure. I am thinking a 40mm flare might fit, if not I'll have to step up to a 70mm. The seibons only do 25mm, which is perfectly fine for anything up to a 9.5"

I also know a guy who makes fender louvers which will be much more aerodynamically effective than the seibon vent, though its still perfectly functional.

I'll be going with a 285 on a 10.5" +38 in the front, and a 225/40 on a 18x8.5 in the rear.

thicc boi.

Would be interested in seeing a picture of these fender louvers... :rolleyes:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Good updates, the roll bar is the only thing I've seen you post that I'm not on board with. With such a properly built car why are you going that route vs a real cage? Maybe it's because I used to be an insurance adjuster and have seen tons of accidents but I just don't think those bolt in roll bars are safe at all, especially if your car is going to still be driven on the street

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Good updates, the roll bar is the only thing I've seen you post that I'm not on board with. With such a properly built car why are you going that route vs a real cage? Maybe it's because I used to be an insurance adjuster and have seen tons of accidents but I just don't think those bolt in roll bars are safe at all, especially if your car is going to still be driven on the street

Built cage is the end goal. It's going to take me at least another 2 years, maybe 3, before I can save that kind of cash. I did an ass load of research on this including talking to plenty of reputable cage builders and the general census is that a properly mounted roll bars are perfectly safe. The issues people have with bolt in roll bars are if they are affixed to areas of the chassis that aren't reinforced and backing plates aren't used. In that scenario there's a chance that the roll bar could "punch through" the floor, but I've only seen that happen on open top cars. The roll bar's real sole purpose here is to provide a safe mounting location for harnesses and also save my head from being crushed in a bad roll over accident. Because harnesses don't allow your body to "submarine" like a seat belt does, if you have harnesses, you need a roll bar, period. The roll bar stays behind the seat 100%, so long as the seat (and roll bar) are properly fixed I won't have any problems driving on the street. I guess the only risk on the street is wearing harnesses without a hans.

The autopower kit for the mk6 bolts to extremely rigid parts of the chassis, and the bolts are grade 8, so I feel comfortable with the design.

thicc boi.

Would be interested in seeing a picture of these fender louvers... :rolleyes:

The guy who's making them is Shawn Khamsot. I met him through a vw facebook group. Not sure if he took a break from social media or not but hasn't responded to my messages recently. But if you look him up his cover photo is what I am looking for.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Built cage is the end goal. It's going to take me at least another 2 years, maybe 3, before I can save that kind of cash. I did an ass load of research on this including talking to plenty of reputable cage builders and the general census is that a properly mounted roll bars are perfectly safe. The issues people have with bolt in roll bars are if they are affixed to areas of the chassis that aren't reinforced and backing plates aren't used. In that scenario there's a chance that the roll bar could "punch through" the floor, but I've only seen that happen on open top cars. The roll bar's real sole purpose here is to provide a safe mounting location for harnesses and also save my head from being crushed in a bad roll over accident. Because harnesses don't allow your body to "submarine" like a seat belt does, if you have harnesses, you need a roll bar, period. The roll bar stays behind the seat 100%, so long as the seat (and roll bar) are properly fixed I won't have any problems driving on the street. I guess the only risk on the street is wearing harnesses without a hans.

The autopower kit for the mk6 bolts to extremely rigid parts of the chassis, and the bolts are grade 8, so I feel comfortable with the design.

The guy who's making them is Shawn Khamsot. I met him through a vw facebook group. Not sure if he took a break from social media or not but hasn't responded to my messages recently. But if you look him up his cover photo is what I am looking for.
That's my concern with them punching through the floor. I installed one for a guy a while back using the backing plates and whatnot and just seeing the amount of flex the floor pan had in the points it mounted to made me think the backing plates wouldn't do much. Hope you never have to find out though!

Lol Shawn is a good buddy of mine. We're in the same car club, he's working on the lourves but just busy at work and hasn't had time to finish.