GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ask Me Anything: Lug Nut, Bolts and Wheel Locks!

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I was looking mainly for extended ones. Those are shallow I guess not that matters a whole lot
if you're trying to avoid scratching, get a thin walled plastic sheathed socket...or you could use the adapters with extended cone lugs.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Whats wrong with the ecs stud conversion?
My studs weren't perfectly straight, there is some runout (at least on the long 65mm ones I had to use with spacers) so I had some issues with installation. Just made things a bit more fiddly but they worked just fine otherwise. That's not an issue that i had with Rennline studs that I used in the past, but those we're twice the money too. Just a you get what you pay for type of item that's typical with ECS.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
FWIW I haven't had any issues with the UroTuning performance stud conversion kit with the open ended lug nuts ($70). I will report back when I uninstall them and install the new set (same set of studs).

The first time I ordered the studs they also gave me 25 studs for some reason which I guess was nice... lol

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Have you ever sourced tuner style (small diameter, spline driven) lug bolts in black? I need 33mm and 38mm because I am going to run 5mm spacers up front and 10mm spacers in the rear and those two sizes seem nonexistent.

Unless I can use 40mm bolts front and back without any issues. In which case my problem is solved.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
not black, but just bought these cone seat bolts with slim heads from ezaccessory.com. They come in 25 30 35 40 mm shanks

Attachments

• PXL_20210219_192742597.jpg
    PXL_20210219_192742597.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 81

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Bumping this thread back up. What is too long for the wheel bolts? And what happens when the bolt is too long? Does it hit the back of the brakes? I just ordered some some OZ Leggera HLT and Tire Rack said the wheel bolts are BB14X1.5 36UL BALLSEAT R12. Stock wheel bolts are 30mm? Im running 10mm and 15mm spacers on my wheels right now. I understand that the OEM ball seat is R13. Otis is the only place ive seen this size wheel bolt. I want to order the wheel bolts before the wheels arrive but I might want to run spacers. Im going to run 235/35r19 Michellin PSS

https://otisincla.com/product/rad-lug-bolt-14mmx1-5-36mm-shank-r12-ball-seat-hex-17/

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Bumping this thread back up. What is too long for the wheel bolts? And what happens when the bolt is too long? Does it hit the back of the brakes? I just ordered some some OZ Leggera HLT and Tire Rack said the wheel bolts are BB14X1.5 36UL BALLSEAT R12. Stock wheel bolts are 30mm? Im running 10mm and 15mm spacers on my wheels right now. I understand that the OEM ball seat is R13. Otis is the only place ive seen this size wheel bolt. I want to order the wheel bolts before the wheels arrive but I might want to run spacers. Im going to run 235/35r19 Michellin PSS

https://otisincla.com/product/rad-lug-bolt-14mmx1-5-36mm-shank-r12-ball-seat-hex-17/
Too long is when it hits something, usually the caliper bracket or knuckle. What you should make sure you're getting somewhere between 7-9 full turns of threads into the hub for proper thread engagement. Anything more than that is unnecessary.

Stock bolts are 27mm under the seat, but you toss that spec out when you're provided a spec by the wheel company. OZ Wheels are odd, and you're correct about who has that odd bolt. Otis sources from a European manufacturer that specializes in bolts, so they offer "conversion" bolts that work in this application. You'll need to stick with an R12 ball seat bolt, and the 36mm length is minimum without spacers. Every MM of spacer adds that much to the bolt length and so on. You won't be able to use your current bolts for the VW wheels.

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Too long is when it hits something, usually the caliper bracket or knuckle. What you should make sure you're getting somewhere between 7-9 full turns of threads into the hub for proper thread engagement. Anything more than that is unnecessary.

Stock bolts are 27mm under the seat, but you toss that spec out when you're provided a spec by the wheel company. OZ Wheels are odd, and you're correct about who has that odd bolt. Otis sources from a European manufacturer that specializes in bolts, so they offer "conversion" bolts that work in this application. You'll need to stick with an R12 ball seat bolt, and the 36mm length is minimum without spacers. Every MM of spacer adds that much to the bolt length and so on. You won't be able to use your current bolts for the VW wheels.
So at what length do the wheel bolts start hitting something? I saw that Otis has 44mm and 50 mm 14mmx1.5 R12 for the same price as 36mm.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I got a 2019 GTI SE used a few months ago, took the lug covers off for the first time this weekend and discovered there's no locking lugs on any of the wheels. Are they not standard equipment on our cars? I was under the impression they were but I guess maybe not?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
So at what length do the wheel bolts start hitting something? I saw that Otis has 44mm and 50 mm 14mmx1.5 R12 for the same price as 36mm.
No idea, that's not exactly something you check for haha. If you're going to run a 10mm or 15mm spacer, 50mm length should be good for both. I typically run a 30-32mm bolt on an aftermarket wheel to have a few extra threads and there are zero issues, so if OZ recommends a 36mm length then 50mm would be right there for both spacer thicknesses (36+10=46, so a bit longer, and 36+15=51, basically ideal).

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I got a 2019 GTI SE used a few months ago, took the lug covers off for the first time this weekend and discovered there's no locking lugs on any of the wheels. Are they not standard equipment on our cars? I was under the impression they were but I guess maybe not?
This is generally a function of the original selling dealer and what port the vehicle comes from. Dealers will choose some OEM supplied 3rd party accessories when they order cars and either the port supplies them or installs them. That varies a lot by brands, and I'm not very familiar with VW but I have a lot of experience with US dealers and wheel locks.