GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ask Me Anything: Lug Nut, Bolts and Wheel Locks!

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Just curious as to why? Seems like a step backwards?
I was never really happy with the stud conversion from ECS. Initially they sent me a few bad studs that ended up getting stuck in the hub...then just in general I didn’t feel as safe with them on the car as I did with lug bolts.

To each their own really.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Just curious as to why? Seems like a step backwards?
I did the same on stud conversion. Switched back to bolts.

Studs make sense if you're switching wheels regularly, which I do. But, if you're.switching wheels and running spacers with one set and.not the other, then studs look great with one wheel set and not so great with the other.

I've found that a couple wheel hangers work well for changes and imo are easier than studs when lining the wheel up.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I did the same, but it was 25% because I wasn't massively happy with the ECS stud kit and 75% because any tuner wheel with very narrow lug pockets gave me hell with any lug nut I used. It was just easier to go back to bolts but it did limit me on some spacer usage sadly.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I did the same, but it was 25% because I wasn't massively happy with the ECS stud kit and 75% because any tuner wheel with very narrow lug pockets gave me hell with any lug nut I used. It was just easier to go back to bolts but it did limit me on some spacer usage sadly.
Whats wrong with the ecs stud conversion? I just installed mine this week but sadly it came with conical lug nuts and I have rse10 wheels that have ball seat so I put them on barely torqued and just kept the car parked cause I know thats a big no no. Does anyone know who sells extended ball seat open end lug nuts? I cant find any anywhere

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Whats wrong with the ecs stud conversion? I just installed mine this week but sadly it came with conical lug nuts and I have rse10 wheels that have ball seat so I put them on barely torqued and just kept the car parked cause I know thats a big no no. Does anyone know who sells extended ball seat open end lug nuts? I cant find any an

motorsport hardware sells them

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Whats wrong with the ecs stud conversion? I just installed mine this week but sadly it came with conical lug nuts and I have rse10 wheels that have ball seat so I put them on barely torqued and just kept the car parked cause I know thats a big no no. Does anyone know who sells extended ball seat open end lug nuts? I cant find any anywhere
Silver

Black

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
What’s wrong with them that’s requiring you to replace them with another set?

The lug nuts are looking pretty sad, and it's usually recommended to replace studs every year or two anyways and I view it as cheap insurance.

The other reason is I finally ordered new 55mm suspension for my car and am going to be swapping from my 50mm knuckles to Golf R 55mm knuckles and don't want to reuse the old studs in the new wheel bearings.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

I've been using ball seat washers without any issues.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Interesting... I've never heard of that.

Generally that interval is for if you're constantly changing wheels or tracking the car. For a street driven car where you rarely change wheels, studs should last quite a while (though it's still good to check on them once in a while), but at that point there's not much of a benefit to swapping to studs anyways.

I don't track my car but during the winter I swap my wheels every week to go skiing so the studs and lug nuts see a lot of torquing/impact gun use.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I've been using ball seat washers without any issues.
I've actually never heard of that til now. I ordered ball seat lug nuts through fcp euro and paid for next day shipping on Monday and they're still not here. I was trying to have them for an event this weekend but thats clearly not gonna happen now 😤