GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ask Me Anything: Lug Nut, Bolts and Wheel Locks!

RopeJumper13

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
IMG_20200227_213409.jpg

Solid lug bolts for anyone considering these. Just don't know why they only sell these in 50 count (excluding the Installation Kit, 20 + 4 locks)

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Hey flipflp what's your take on Gorilla 18018BC ball seat lugs for a new set of Neuspeed Rse10 hyperblack wheels? I'm looking for new lug bolts for my new wheels. Anyone have hyperblack wheels from Neuspeed? Do you use chrome lug bolts or black or black chrome? Pics?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Hey flipflp what's your take on Gorilla 18018BC ball seat lugs for a new set of Neuspeed Rse10 hyperblack wheels? I'm looking for new lug bolts for my new wheels. Anyone have hyperblack wheels from Neuspeed? Do you use chrome lug bolts or black or black chrome? Pics?
Part number 18018BC would be the correct VW replacement bolt in black, go for it! Just a standard 17mm hex bolt like OEM but black won't require something like the OEM plastic cap to blend in a little better.

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
So i'm gonna be buying new wheels and tires soon.
I'm planning on going with Option Labs R716s but I don't know exactly what lug nuts to get.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
So i'm gonna be buying new wheels and tires soon.
I'm planning on going with Option Labs R716s but I don't know exactly what lug nuts to get.
I have never heard of them, but it looks like they provide some specs that get you close to a recommendation:

https://www.optionlabwheels.com/product-page/r716-formula-bronze
The lug bore size is actually helpful, since that tells you what diameter socket or lug will fit, and a note for 60 degree taper means you need a conical seat lug bolt.

What they don't list is length on a bolt, since these aren't specific to a lug bolt vehicle. You should reach out to them for their recommendation. Unless you've got conversion studs and are using lug nuts, the length of the lug bolt required is important since that can change with wheel pad thickness. If they recommend an OEM length bolt, then you'd want to get a 27mm threaded length conical seat bolt.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
how much extra thread can I have on a lug bolt for.our cars?

I think oem is 17mm shank, no?

would 27mm work? or what will?

trying to anticipate good fit for aftermarket wheels, which appear a little thicker than oem....and a little more thread makes.bolts a little easier to work with, esp frequent changes.

thanks

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I don't know the answer how how much extra thread, but OEM shank is 27mm, not 17mm.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
how much extra thread can I have on a lug bolt for.our cars?

I think oem is 17mm shank, no?

would 27mm work? or what will?

trying to anticipate good fit for aftermarket wheels, which appear a little thicker than oem....and a little more thread makes.bolts a little easier to work with, esp frequent changes.

thanks
I've never seen it measured. Basically if the bolt is so long that it sticks out of the back of the hub and can contact something that is very bad. Threads not engaged in the hub are excess since they aren't taking any load, so you try to run just what the application needs which is hard to measure, so most installers use 7-9 turns on the bolt before final torque as correct. I usually run a 30mm length bolt on an aftermarket wheel which is fine with no spacer. OEM bolts are 27mm (below the seat).

Get yourself a thread in bolt holding tool to hang the wheel on if you don't have one and load up bolts into a thin wall socket to thread by hand. Otherwise...stud conversion.

Pete_CFB

Ready to race!
I've been reading some good kits are now out of production(like Rennline?).

I'm running OEM wheels for winter with ball seat, I just picked up my summer setup(Enkei TSR6 45 offset) that are cone seat and would like to upgrade to a stud setup(track in summer and ease of maintenance...)

-No need for extended studs since I dont run spacers or lots of offset.
-Ball seat close ended bolts for winter expecially to not rust up the studs.
-Cone seat whatever for summer, black preffered.

What setup would be recommended?

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Dumb Question alert...but maybe this will help someone down the line.

I decided to remove my ECS stud conversion and go back to lug bolts...but I gave away my 45mm bolts that I was using for my 15mm spacers. The spacer kit I bought was from ECS and comes with 15mm spacers/45mm bolts and 20mm spacers/47mm bolts.

Well I ordered new bolts but accidentally ordered 47mm bolts.

So will a 47mm bolt vs 45mm be an issue for the 15mm spacers? Not sure why ECS doesn’t pair the 15mm spacers with 42mm bolts but I guess they don’t choose to carry them.

I think 47mm bolts with 15mm spacers should be fine but I wanted to ask the experts on the forum :)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Shouldn't be an issue, just spin your wheels in the air to check for interference. There isn't a lot behind the hubs on our cars so you shouldn't have problems with only a few MMs.

Where this stuff is/was super critical is on cars with hat-in-rotor parking brake setups like older Mercedes. A few MMs would make contact with brake components directly behind the hub, and a few MMs too short and you'd have bolts break. Absolute nightmare cars to put aftermarket wheels on for the dumbest reason.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Shouldn't be an issue, just spin your wheels in the air to check for interference. There isn't a lot behind the hubs on our cars so you shouldn't have problems with only a few MMs.

Where this stuff is/was super critical is on cars with hat-in-rotor parking brake setups like older Mercedes. A few MMs would make contact with brake components directly behind the hub, and a few MMs too short and you'd have bolts break. Absolute nightmare cars to put aftermarket wheels on for the dumbest reason.

They also make rotor swaps a nightmare. Dumbest design ever.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx

Great, Thanks. I’ll report back if I have an issue.