GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ask Me Anything: Lug Nut, Bolts and Wheel Locks!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I looked into them and a lot of reviews talk about stripping the tool that comes with them.

That's why I was looking at the MCGard, but you're the 2nd person on here to recommend the Gorilla, so maybe those were user error
That's strange, because the tool is tough and one of the reasons I chose the Gorilla over the MCGard, this week I was lazy and in a hurry, and I actually ruined my socket (Craftsmen 12pt non-impact) installing my lug bolts (winter wheels/tires), key tool is still perfect.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Was out of town the last few days and tapatalk doesn't seem to be sending notifications anymore...

The McGard kit MonkeyMD posted is going to use a standard 17mm hex socket (usually just under 1" in diameter for a thin wall version) and a standard lock which is the keys for that are usually 1"+. That may not work in some aftermarket wheels that have very narrow lug nut/bolt pockets. Aftermarket wheels can have holes that are 24mm (0.95") and smaller, so that type of bolt might not be compatible.

Gorilla Small Diameter Bolts (my company, btw) are designed to be used in those applications specifically, with a key that is only 20.5mm (0.80") wide and bolts with the same OD. They are required for a lot of applications because the wheels are designed to use tuner bolts only.

That said, making a key that thin doesn't make it stronger than a standard socket and it does have a weakness. Specifically any body weight that is put downwards on the socket, which is going to leverage on the bolt head and try to pop the side of the socket. Keep that key level, torque to factory torque specs, don't use an impact gun and you'll be fine. I've used that bolt style as well as the same "spline" style lug nut on tons of vehicles and they are just fine. If you or your mechanic go a little hard with torque and need to break out the 4 foot cheater to get a bolt off...well that's your fault, not the tool's when it snaps.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I'm using regular hex lug nuts on my Konig Hypergrams. I don't know if the Rennforms have a smaller bolt hole opening but I haven't had any issues. I think it uses a 17mm socket.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm using regular hex lug nuts on my Konig Hypergrams. I don't know if the Rennforms have a smaller bolt hole opening but I haven't had any issues. I think it uses a 17mm socket.

It's not so much the 17mm hex bolts, but the locks in that McGard kit I'd worry about not having clearance. My Rennforms were around a 1" opening so no problem with most thin wall sockets and 17mm bolts only.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the responses.
So essentially smaller bolts are going to be weaker by default, but regular bolts may not fit right. Hmmm. Or at least the lock, which I don't really care for anyway.

Don't know if I trust Discount, Firestone et al to not over torque and then I'm in a quandary. Or they scratch the wheels up because bolt is too big for holes in wheels.
Yes, I suffer from some analysis paralysis.

Btw, you all don't ship direct to consumer, do you? Searched but most vendors are back ordered. Amazon has them, but 1 person stated they got the shorter bolts.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Thanks for the responses.
So essentially smaller bolts are going to be weaker by default, but regular bolts may not fit right. Hmmm. Or at least the lock, which I don't really care for anyway.

Don't know if I trust Discount, Firestone et al to not over torque and then I'm in a quandary. Or they scratch the wheels up because bolt is too big for holes in wheels.
Yes, I suffer from some analysis paralysis.

Btw, you all don't ship direct to consumer, do you? Searched but most vendors are back ordered. Amazon has them, but 1 person stated they got the shorter bolts.

I wouldn't say there is any specific weakness to the bolt itself because of the small diameter BUT the sockets can get damaged if you abuse them. Have a spare, use a shop you trust, avoid impact guns when possible.

If you don't need wheel locks, your options for 17mm hex bolts are nearly limitless. It's just the lock sockets that can have clearance issues and be incompatible with aftermarket wheels.

Gorilla doesn't sell direct from our website or warehouse, no. Only through retailers like Discount, Amazon, Summit Racing, etc.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
It's not so much the 17mm hex bolts, but the locks in that McGard kit I'd worry about not having clearance. My Rennforms were around a 1" opening so no problem with most thin wall sockets and 17mm bolts only.

My bad, I'm using 19mm nuts:

1573855761930.png

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Gorilla was on backorder till December so ended up getting McGard Lug Bolts (no locks).

Not sure if they're worth the money over everything else out there.

Unfortunately they only come in packs of 50, so if anyone wants to buy 20/25 of them, let me know. Got the black ones. I'll probably post it in FS when I get them.

https://www.amazon.com/McGard-69700BK-Chrome-Black-Thread/dp/B0066M2AMC

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
With the small hole in the wheel I have to use a thin wall 17MM socket.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I looked into them and a lot of reviews talk about stripping the tool that comes with them.

That's why I was looking at the MCGard, but you're the 2nd person on here to recommend the Gorilla, so maybe those were user error
I've only used the Gorilla tuner bolts/lug nuts on all of my cars, and I've had my fair share of sets of them & wheels....never once had an issue, regardless of winter or summer use (swapping them out)

Gorilla was on backorder till December so ended up getting McGard Lug Bolts (no locks).

Not sure if they're worth the money over everything else out there.

Unfortunately they only come in packs of 50, so if anyone wants to buy 20/25 of them, let me know. Got the black ones. I'll probably post it in FS when I get them.

https://www.amazon.com/McGard-69700BK-Chrome-Black-Thread/dp/B0066M2AMC

PLEASE tell me you didn't pay $452.95 for them though! :eek:
Mcgard.jpg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
PLEASE tell me you didn't pay $452.95 for them though! :eek:
View attachment 159878

Still not cheap, but literally minutes after I bought, price went up. I got them for around $200. And that's for 50.

The reason I liked them is the free spinning seat which supposedly won't scratch the wheels. No idea if any merit to this

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Still not cheap, but literally minutes after I bought, price went up. I got them for around $200. And that's for 50.

The reason I liked them is the free spinning seat which supposedly won't scratch the wheels. No idea if any merit to this
What Gorilla part were you seeing that is back ordered until December? ? We're not out of anything I'd recommend for your application. Maybe just Amazon being out of something?

The free spinning seat isn't primarily an "anti-scratch" design like I've seen some companies market it, but that's a much easier thing to explain. The rotating seat has a lot more to do with consistent/accurate torque and tension to hold the wheel on. It works, but it's significantly more expensive than a 1 piece lug bolt. That McGard part is technically 3 pieces, the hex portion that's pressed on to the bolt body, plus the seat. A lot goes into making that bolt.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
What Gorilla part were you seeing that is back ordered until December? ? We're not out of anything I'd recommend for your application. Maybe just Amazon being out of something?

The free spinning seat isn't primarily an "anti-scratch" design like I've seen some companies market it, but that's a much easier thing to explain. The rotating seat has a lot more to do with consistent/accurate torque and tension to hold the wheel on. It works, but it's significantly more expensive than a 1 piece lug bolt. That McGard part is technically 3 pieces, the hex portion that's pressed on to the bolt body, plus the seat. A lot goes into making that bolt.

I checked Amazon and Summit. The other vendor (can't remember now) had them but they were $85... Yes, I get the irony of me then spending more than double on some other lug bolts ?

Btw. Thanks for the explanation.