GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

As of 2023, what are the go-to brake pads for spirited street driving?

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Usually bedding the new pad is all that’s needed to get the new compound on to the rotor evenly.

I used to cross sand the rotor between pad swaps but over the years found it unnecessary.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Good read and TGIF!

Brakes seem to be such a difficult recommendation because of the variables and options in pads. Oh and the opinons...so may opinions.

I'm in the middle of looking at pad options. I currently have Ferodo DS2500's in the front and stock rear. These DS2500's have been great on spirited mountain drives (Bear Mountain Runs before I moved to South Florida...I miss those :( ) and also at WITW! But they clank (I probably need to reshape the clip) and they dust way more than I want to.

I have a set of TRW TPC1633's (ceramic) that I would normally swap back in during the winter when I was living in NY. I'm going to swap back to those now that WITW is over since I don't do any other spirited driving that the TRW's can't handle.

I'm curious if there is a pad that is in between these 2 I can stick with?

I see that the TRW TPC's are no longer available and seem to have been replaced with the TRW THX. A friend of mine got these thinking they were the TPC version and he thought they were too dusty. His mechanic switched him to EBC Reds and he's happy...

Maybe the TRW THX is better for spirited driving but with still low dusk?

Also I'm using the same rotor currently to swap between the TRW ceramics and DS2500's. Besides bedding procedures are there any other tips when swapping pads with the same rotor? I know it's probably ideal to have a dedicated rotor for a pad but it's not that serious for me.

I realize this is jumping the topic so I may create a new thread for this question since I see that many people seem to swap pads with the same rotor. I'm just looking at best practices.

Thanks in advance
Unfortunatley, heat management comes with dust, no way around it.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Usually bedding the new pad is all that’s needed to get the new compound on to the rotor evenly.

I used to cross sand the rotor between pad swaps but over the years found it unnecessary.
Great, thanks. Are you in the SFLMK7 group by any chance?
Unfortunatley, heat management comes with dust, no way around it.
Yeah, I get that. I don’t want to be that guy that’s asking for no dust and better performance. I understand less dust comes with less performance typcally.

I guess I’m just looking for the right pad for me and it seems based on my circumstance I’ll have to do some trial and error. I was lucky enough to get the Ferodo’s for free from a friend that only used them for a few hundred miles before going BBK. I guess I can used that saved money to try some of the pad recommendations here. :)

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
Good read and TGIF!

Brakes seem to be such a difficult recommendation because of the variables and options in pads. Oh and the opinons...so may opinions.

I'm in the middle of looking at pad options. I currently have Ferodo DS2500's in the front and stock rear. These DS2500's have been great on spirited mountain drives (Bear Mountain Runs before I moved to South Florida...I miss those :( ) and also at WITW! But they clank (I probably need to reshape the clip) and they dust way more than I want to.

I have a set of TRW TPC1633's (ceramic) that I would normally swap back in during the winter when I was living in NY. I'm going to swap back to those now that WITW is over since I don't do any other spirited driving that the TRW's can't handle.

I'm curious if there is a pad that is in between these 2 I can stick with?

I see that the TRW TPC's are no longer available and seem to have been replaced with the TRW THX. A friend of mine got these thinking they were the TPC version and he thought they were too dusty. His mechanic switched him to EBC Reds and he's happy...

Maybe the TRW THX is better for spirited driving but with still low dusk?

Also I'm using the same rotor currently to swap between the TRW ceramics and DS2500's. Besides bedding procedures are there any other tips when swapping pads with the same rotor? I know it's probably ideal to have a dedicated rotor for a pad but it's not that serious for me.

I realize this is jumping the topic so I may create a new thread for this question since I see that many people seem to swap pads with the same rotor. I'm just looking at best practices.

Thanks in advance
I used to have the exact same setup; ds2500 for summer and the TPC1633 for winter. I’ve since had to replace with the new TRW pads and while they do dust more than the old ones, I still think they’re relatively low dusting. They’re still silent and don’t clunk in the carriers just like the old pads.

Can’t speak for trying to push them at all, haven’t had a chance to see though I don’t have high expectations. Frustrating that I was at bear mountain the other day but had my kids with me so I couldn’t hit seven lakes with any “spirit”. Having worked there for years, I know the road quite well and still have the Perkins drive key laying around somewhere for “personal tests”

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I used to have the exact same setup; ds2500 for summer and the TPC1633 for winter. I’ve since had to replace with the new TRW pads and while they do dust more than the old ones, I still think they’re relatively low dusting. They’re still silent and don’t clunk in the carriers just like the old pads.

Can’t speak for trying to push them at all, haven’t had a chance to see though I don’t have high expectations. Frustrating that I was at bear mountain the other day but had my kids with me so I couldn’t hit seven lakes with any “spirit”. Having worked there for years, I know the road quite well and still have the Perkins drive key laying around somewhere for “personal tests”
Great, I'll probably stick to what I'm doing then.

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
BTW, my Brembo ceramics are now bedded in, did my first autocross yesterday, they feel fine. Granted, that isn't an event that would cause a lot of heat, and the weather was cool, but these felt at least as good as OEM, on track and on the road.