GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Arteon Style Blind Spot Mirror Cap Installation

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Cuzoe Ambitious! I swear by time you’re done the lights in your car are gonna be able flash purple to the beat of the currently playing song when you get a text :ROFLMAO:
I just might... whenever @Chillout finishes with this project, which I am overly excited about...
https://www.drive2.com/l/627181224766488475/
https://www.drive2.com/l/629071835010446199/

Use ATTiny, measure PWM of the BSM light power supply. It will be 100% only if there’s warning (blinking full brightness). If there’s just something in the blind spot, it will not be at 100% PWM so you can ignore it.
But then I'm going to have to learn new stuff 🫣.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
@Cuzoe Given that the steering wheel vibrates when you signal while another car is triggering the BSM max-bright-fast-blink .... could you use that as a trigger for your dancing light show on the door trim?

Or does the SW vibrate in concert with the lane assist camera noticing you crossing the lane line? (I can't remember exactly).

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That would like cool. Have the door lights switch to orange when there is a car in the blind spot.
Yea... There are Audis that have dual "zone" RGB light control, on separate LIN buses. Might be MQB-Evo though.

Getting the RGB door lighting to blink whenever the blind spot indicator blinks shouldn't be too difficult. Would be more of a novelty though, the factory blind spot indicator is perfectly visible (to me) at night, And that's the only time they RGB door lighting is on.

Off topic for this thread. Now that I have some RGB lighting in the door, even though it's only passenger side thus far... I'm always looking for an excuse to drive when it's dark enough outside to see those colors lol.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I keep procrastinating install the rgb lights. One of these days I'll get around to it.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Thats what i figured, when i opened the box and it and the harness took up most of the box. I knew it was gonna be fun.

Got Boost

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Maybe im addicted to doing stuff to my car, but the Golf 7 Blind Spot indicators that are in the mirror glass suck. The Arteon style with the LED modules in the mirror cap seem much better to me. And someone had posted about an AliExpress seller selling Golf 7 caps that had been modified to use the LED modules. Before we get into it the way the caps were modified makes an OEM installation impossible. The pictures will make it clear, but there isnt anyway to attach the LED modules to the caps besides 2 part epoxy.

What is needed
The mirror caps, LEDs, wire harness - https://vagexpress.com/products/-799
3M 2 part epoxy - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JT1EEM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

This shows what i mean about no way to secure the modules. The caps are golf 7 caps with holes punched in them.
View attachment 228573

I used painters tape to hold the LED module flush with the mirror cap.
View attachment 228574

Not ideal, but i used some 2 part epoxy to secure the module. And the wiring was pretty easy, brown was ground, yellow signal from BSM module.
View attachment 228575

And this is them installed. Did some highway driving and they are a thousand times better than the mirror mounted lights. They are bright enough to see in your peripheral vision.
View attachment 228576
Love this! Does the harness supplied with the lights extend back to the connector? Asking because I’m considering installing folding mirrors on my Golf R, and the mirrors don’t have bling spot monitoring lights, so I’d have to add the lights and wiring.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
The wires that light up the LEDs come from the BSM modules and go directly through the door hinge up into the mirror housing (folding or not). At least from my recollection, they don't have a "stop" at the connection point located inside the door.
(Also, shameless plug for some BSM modules and mirror caps I have for sale here. :D )

Got Boost

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
The wires that light up the LEDs come from the BSM modules and go directly through the door hinge up into the mirror housing (folding or not). At least from my recollection, they don't have a "stop" at the connection point located inside the door.
(Also, shameless plug for some BSM modules and mirror caps I have for sale here. :D )
The power folding mirrors I found apparently don’t have LEDs for blind spot monitoring, was hoping I could swap the wiring and mirror glass over to the power folding ones to have BSM on them.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
The power folding mirrors I found apparently don’t have LEDs for blind spot monitoring, was hoping I could swap the wiring and mirror glass over to the power folding ones to have BSM on them.
Yep - that's precisely what a number of people here (me included) have done.
First came the folding mirrors. Than the BSM mirror glass (and BSM modules and wiring fun). Then the LEDs in the mirror caps because the LED icons in the mirror glass are all-but pointless.

Got Boost

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Yep - that's precisely what a number of people here (me included) have done.
First came the folding mirrors. Than the BSM mirror glass (and BSM modules and wiring fun). Then the LEDs in the mirror caps because the LED icons in the mirror glass are all-but pointless.
My car already has BSM, so all I’ll have to do it out the lights and wiring into the new mirrors

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Ahhhh - if you already have BSM, then you're laughing. You can re-use the mirror glass (pop 'em off, unplug) and swap them over to the folding mirrors, splicing in wires for the mirror cap LEDs (as below, shown with a generic LED); or just snip and direct the existing wires to the mirror-cap LEDs.
(LEDs fade in/out smoothly; it's just the ani-gif that makes it look janky)
BSM.LED.addon.gif