GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Arteon Style Blind Spot Mirror Cap Installation

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I need these as well but at the same time I need you guys to help me clarify a few points:

my car didn't have BSM from stock, I retrofitted it. at that time the few information I could find said that it is a huge pain in the ass to feed wires from the door going inside mirror housings. seriously, it looked so scary that I never attempted and installed round indicators on the door panels. it's obvious that for the new mirror caps I'll have to feed wires to the mirrors... so... how hard is it for real? lol

some time ago I was looking into dimming glasses for the mirrors but gave up for the same reason above, dimming needs a wire. if I pull two wires I can as well pull three.... so does anybody have the part numbers for the dimming glasses? AFAIK they don't exist on Golf so need to transplant from other MQB? but isn't every MQB car a different mirror glass shape?

my car is Limestone Grey which is a sort of gunmetal grey, I cannot decide for a mirror cap finish. I would say black but given that at some point I will buy silver Pretoria wheels, maybe matte chrome mirrors as well... what do you guys think?

thank you all!

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
If you've done folding mirrors, the BSM wiring is more involved than that, but I don't think it should stop you - it's more complicated, but not overly so.
Reading from this post:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-monitoring-retrofit-help.380297/post-7688232
onward in that thread should help a lot with how to run the wiring.

HumbleMechanic also has a video on wiring KESSY rear doors which also helps explain and illustrate how to get through the door hinge wiring connector.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
car came with power folding mirrors as stock so I did not do that.

I had watched that Kessy retrofit videos before.

I did pull wires inside the door, just never continued inside the mirrors.

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Finally got the mirror caps this week.

I wanted to keep the stock BSM and add the Arteon style lights so I ended up using this style connector:

like this :

Hopefully they are somewhat protected from the weather and at the contact points there is a grease ( dielectric?) to protect the contact point to the wiring. I would call it weather resistant, not water proof. :p

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Caught a glimpse of mk8 golf mirror caps. They from a cursory look, they have the same mount points as the mk7s. One of my LED modules shit the bed.

where2

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'19 e-Golf
I need these as well but at the same time I need you guys to help me clarify a few points:

my car didn't have BSM from stock, I retrofitted it. at that time the few information I could find said that it is a huge pain in the ass to feed wires from the door going inside mirror housings. seriously, it looked so scary that I never attempted and installed round indicators on the door panels. it's obvious that for the new mirror caps I'll have to feed wires to the mirrors... so... how hard is it for real? lol

some time ago I was looking into dimming glasses for the mirrors but gave up for the same reason above, dimming needs a wire. if I pull two wires I can as well pull three.... so does anybody have the part numbers for the dimming glasses? AFAIK they don't exist on Golf so need to transplant from other MQB? but isn't every MQB car a different mirror glass shape?

my car is Limestone Grey which is a sort of gunmetal grey, I cannot decide for a mirror cap finish. I would say black but given that at some point I will buy silver Pretoria wheels, maybe matte chrome mirrors as well... what do you guys think?

thank you all!
I bought the Chinese power folding mirrors and added the AliExpress BSM wiring kit to them, prior to installing. (because I'm cheap, handy with tools, and up for a challenge!) Fishing wires through the existing heat shrink around the original mirror wire loom was a bit of a lost cause. (I could get them about 1/2 way, which was actually past the folding joint rotation point. To feed wire for projects like this, I used weed eater line as my fish tape. Cut a diagonal slice on the end of the weed eater line you are feeding down the hole so it tries to find a way through past other wires it encounters.

Apparently, I should have fished a spare wire so that when the dimming mirror part numbers are located, I could go that route.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I bought the Chinese power folding mirrors and added the AliExpress BSM wiring kit to them, prior to installing. (because I'm cheap, handy with tools, and up for a challenge!) Fishing wires through the existing heat shrink around the original mirror wire loom was a bit of a lost cause. (I could get them about 1/2 way, which was actually past the folding joint rotation point. To feed wire for projects like this, I used weed eater line as my fish tape. Cut a diagonal slice on the end of the weed eater line you are feeding down the hole so it tries to find a way through past other wires it encounters.

Apparently, I should have fished a spare wire so that when the dimming mirror part numbers are located, I could go that route.
I use a cut metal coat hanger with the tip smoothed. Works wonder trying to feed wires in pain in the ass spots like the mirrors, and the tailgate rubber wire run things.

madwazzabi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Atbhn PP
If you've done folding mirrors, the BSM wiring is more involved than that, but I don't think it should stop you - it's more complicated, but not overly so.
Reading from this post:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-monitoring-retrofit-help.380297/post-7688232
onward in that thread should help a lot with how to run the wiring.

HumbleMechanic also has a video on wiring KESSY rear doors which also helps explain and illustrate how to get through the door hinge wiring connector.
OMG, good find on the video, I just coincidentally did the same method for pulling a new wire for the door harness just for my new rear ambient lighting before seeing your post but this video should be posted on every "how to I run new speaker/BSM cable" thread! Your BSM thread (removing the door :oops:) made me dread having to pull the new cable :p. I still don't know how HM got the door harness totally out of the door as the opening in the foam pieces I found too narrow but just detaching the accordion tube from the door made the job a ton easier!!!

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Check out what came in the mail. Set of two lights (3GD-949-145 + 3GD-949-146) + two wired connectors.
Found on AliExpress here for $30 with shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_8362.jpg
    IMG_8362.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8363.jpg
    IMG_8363.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8364.jpg
    IMG_8364.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Yes, I do.
Will draw template, paste it to each mirror cover, cut. Next I'm not sure if to use glue or if I should add small pieces of plastic to thicken the cover for the lights to lock in place. Will figure it out once I'm there.

where2

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'19 e-Golf
Yes, I do.
Will draw template, paste it to each mirror cover, cut. Next I'm not sure if to use glue or if I should add small pieces of plastic to thicken the cover for the lights to lock in place. Will figure it out once I'm there.
Might as well. AliEx mirror caps are cheap enough... I have my stock white caps, some metallic black mirror caps, some "charming purple" mirror caps, some light metallic blue caps... (I'm still looking for Lapis blue!) I've avoided the common "carbon fiber" look caps, or the matte silver caps.

Easier than drawing a template, stick some blue masking tape to the face of each light, and gently trim around it with an x-acto knife. Now you have an adhesive template. If you want a slightly smaller hole, use a divider and mark a uniform offset off the outside of the trimmed blue masking tape, then trim to that line with your x-acto knife on a cutting board or cutting mat.