GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Arteon Style Blind Spot Mirror Cap Installation

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Got the other side done this morning and finally got to take a test drive with them (the flicker is my phone camera - they are lit solid in person)

Again, THANKS everyone for all of the help and motivation to get these done - I had been eyeing these for almost TWO years on Aliexpress.

I tacked the LEDs in place with Gorilla Glue GEL as it's THICK and once that cured, I used JB Weld all around the joint to glue/seal the LED's in place. I used the JB Weld as it came with a EZ mix nozzle so I didn't have to mix the epoxy or make a mess. NOTE: Goo Gone will clean off any JB Weld that you might get onto the cap as long as you do it immediately - ask me how I know! :rolleyes:

The passenger side cap was a little tricky to mount on the mirror housing but the driver side cap was a major PITA to get fitted. These are replacing a OEM VW matte chrome Golf R set of caps and when compared next to each other, the Chinese caps DO have slight dimensional differences vs. the OEM VW ones, so I'm sure that played a part in the fitment issues.

Chinese on top, OEM VW on bottom

Chinese on left, OEM VW on right

Last edited:
Got the other side done this morning and finally got to take a test drive with them (the flicker is my phone camera - they are lit solid in person)

Again, THANKS everyone for all of the help and motivation to get these done - I had been eyeing these for almost TWO years on Aliexpress.

I tacked the LEDs in place with Gorilla Glue GEL as it's THICK and once that cured, I used JB Weld all around the joint to glue/seal the LED's in place. I used the JB Weld as it came with a EZ mix nozzle so I didn't have to mix the epoxy or make a mess. NOTE: Goo Gone will clean off any JB Weld that you might get onto the cap as long as you do it immediately - ask me how I know! :rolleyes:

The passenger side cap was a little tricky to mount on the mirror housing but the driver side cap was a major PITA to get fitted. These are replacing a OEM VW matte chrome Golf R set of caps and when compared next to each other, the Chinese caps DO have slight dimensional differences vs. the OEM VW ones, so I'm sure that played a part in the fitment issues.

Chinese on top, OEM VW on bottom

Chinese on left, OEM VW on right
do you have a copy of the install instructions handy? thx....

shark-

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Another "victim" of this thread. :p Parts ordered.
Should be more threads like this so atleast I feel a little better about my addiction to buying car parts

Last edited:

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
The Aidu ones, black mirror caps: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003600307262.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.0.0.133df19cIGCxUT

Are the lights already glued in? Pics make it appear so.

I think I want to do something like scotch locks to the existing wire, do they even make them for that thin a wire, not even sure what gauge it is. I want to keep the stock BSM light.

When I had asked about the wiring earlier, one of the guys who already did it (apologies, I can't remember who it was offhand) said he used these to tap into the existing BSM wiring:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076AY7N...olid=2FUA5A2A1IZRJ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

As for the caps you bought being pre-glued, that's sure what it looks like in the listing. Maybe GolfRRRR1 can chime in since he has first hand experience with those caps.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Maybe GolfRRRR1 can chime in since he has first hand experience with those caps.
Yes, mine were already glued, just be careful putting the cap on the side mirror, I broke one clip, was a little cold in my garage...should of heated the plastic up a little so it was more pliable.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Mine were epoxied in already as well (buying from Doki / Aidu Auto). No leaks, have worked well through a few hellacious rain and snow/slush drives, so I think we're good.
I've since noticed that there's a different 3M connector - the "UR" as opposed to the "UR2" I'd originally linked (and used myself). The "UR" should work a little better as they have the channel through which you slide the wires is a little wider, which will help with the OEM wires.

And I have mine working with the folding mirrors (also purchased from DokiAuto).

And to the point above, one thing that I've noticed (the hard way) is that the VW OEM plastic is a LOT more pliable than aftermarket stuff. So, be extra careful when pushing, pulling, bending plastic tabs, etc. always, of course, but especially on the aftermarket stuff.