GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Areaview Retrofit Progress

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Using odis to try and calibrate the rear it asked for the calibration board for the sides too. So it'll probably look like ahit till I get the mirrors sorted. But this is enough to keep my motivation going. Now I can finally put my interior back together.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Using odis to try and calibrate the rear it asked for the calibration board for the sides too. So it'll probably look like ahit till I get the mirrors sorted. But this is enough to keep my motivation going. Now I can finally put my interior back together.
Great Progress!, Would you mind Sharing the Installation of both cameras? I've already ordered the module and 1 camera for the rear.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
The areaview camera won't fit in a highline emblem. It's bigger than the highline camera. I didn't see a way to make it fit. But I'm not really good at stuff like that.

I'm gonna take lots of pics of the mirror camera install. But that might be a while before that happens. Gotta source more fakra wires. I destroyed all the ones in the kit I bought doing the front and rear

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
The areaview camera won't fit in a highline emblem. It's bigger than the highline camera. I didn't see a way to make it fit. But I'm not really good at stuff like that.

I'm gonna take lots of pics of the mirror camera install. But that might be a while before that happens. Gotta source more fakra wires. I destroyed all the ones in the kit I bought doing the front and rear
So What did you end up doing?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
So What did you end up doing?
I got a passat b8 areaview emblem. Part number is in the first post.

You do have to remove them emblem from a gti one and swap it with ther passat one. The passat emblem is slightly smaller.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I got a passat b8 areaview emblem. Part number is in the first post.

You do have to remove them emblem from a gti one and swap it with ther passat one. The passat emblem is slightly smaller.
Oh, you changed the entire emblem? you cant just take the motor and camera mount and switch them?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Oh, you changed the entire emblem? you cant just take the motor and camera mount and switch then

Yes, I changed the emblem. Easiest way to do it.

I mean you might be able to switch just the cameras, but they mount differently in the emblem. The harness on the cameras is on the opposite side. And not being able to tell the orientation of the camera until it's installed.

A used highline emblem is about the same price as an areaview emblem. It be a wash, or cost under 50-100 bucks. To me that seemed like a small price for the camera to be in the right placem it matters come calibration time

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
20220618_131044.jpg

Really isn't alot of room. Time to drill away. No risk no reward.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
20220618_140303.jpg

20220618_140003.jpg

No turning back now. Doesn't look terribly off on the sides.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Two problems i see, the cameras have a large FOV so the design of the bottom of mk7 mirrors is a problem for what i was trying for. Was trying to not have the camera be easily visible. Making it protrude as little as possible the camera cant be aimed rearward as much as i think it needs to be. The stupid step on the mirror bottom blocks the view. Gonna have to have maybe a half inch protrusion. Other problem is how close the camera is to the body. Every example of areaview mirrors the cameras are very close to the tip of the mirror. This may present a problem when calibration is attempted. The further towards the tip the camera goes, the more it will protrude. Ive been looking at mirrors, and mirror bases from passats, audis that come with areaview, but the golfs seem to have a unique mirror in that none of the other mirrors ive seen look even close.

Im leaning towards a protrusion, as i dont really see another way.

Comments, ideas?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Man... you were right about the hard part starting now. I just went on Ali and searched "VW Area View," clicked the B8 Harness listing and then started looking at the "related" products. So many VW's with area view, none of them a Golf :rolleyes:. But I now see most of the mirrors are flat on the bottom, unlike ours. It also seems a lot of those mirrors have a slight "recess" to give the camera clearance. I can't think of a good way to replicate that.

So that was unhelpful, haha. I'll keep mulling it over in my mind though. And I'll try and find my old mirrors and have a look, maybe with something in my hands I'll be more inspired.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
If it was easy everyone would do it, and it wouldnt as be a interesting. You know what they say. Its not the destination, its the journey.

I did find something last night that seems like it may be an option. https://www.drive2.ru/l/477527246865694776/

Take the base of the golf mirror, and attach the upper part from a passat or an audi a3, a4, a5 maybe. Or modify the door so a passat or audi a3,a4 mirror could be mounted. From the crappy pics on ebay, audi a5 mirrors look close ish.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
The side cameras actually work right away? thought It wouldn't work and need calibration first.

anyways, you should take a look at the passat's (link) mirror and maybe make a bracket to hold the camera in the right angle.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
The side cameras actually work right away? thought It wouldn't work and need calibration first.

anyways, you should take a look at the passat's (link) mirror and maybe make a bracket to hold the camera in the right angle.
It "works" as far as it shows a picture. But it won't look like it should until it is calibrated.