GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Areaview Retrofit Progress

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
How am i supposed to connect these two? Do I have to take apart the emblem and connect the wire straight to the camera?

Yes. There are 4 torq screws and the camera holder comes off. Plug that in and bobs your uncle. Your connector end is different than mine, you may need to shave some tabs off of it before it will fit.

The harness set you have, was it a set for area view, or did you piece meal it?

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Yes. There are 4 torq screws and the camera holder comes off. Plug that in and bobs your uncle. Your connector end is different than mine, you may need to shave some tabs off of it before it will fit.

The harness set you have, was it a set for area view, or did you piece meal it?
Weird.
Yes its a harness for area view, this connector does fit on an area view camera, just thought I'm missing something.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
No your good, i just plugged that into the camera. I was just curious about the fakra end though. Doesnt look like anyone ive seen. But if it works it works

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
No your good, i just plugged that into the camera. I was just curious about the fakra end though. Doesnt look like anyone ive seen. But if it works it works
Well It worked just fine, Now I'm left with two questions.

1. Wiring.
In the main harness I see a few wires.
GND
12V
gateway - where do I connect these? are these the same wires that go into the highline RVC?
Display signal In the Quadlock connector.
1 White wire for opening the emblem - Where does this wire go? Do I need to run it all the way to the emblem? even if I have a Highline RVC?

And what about the Highline RVC harness? Is it useless after installing the new one? or when making the Areaview harness they take into consideration you already have some sort of Camera in the emblem that opens up and you tap into these wires?

2. Coding
Any coding needs to be done to the modules in the car apart from the Areaview module?

Last edited:

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Well It worked just fine, Now I'm left with two questions.

1. Wiring.
In the main harness I see a few wires.
GND
12V
gateway - where do I connect these? are these the same wires that go into the highline RVC?
Display signal In the Quadlock connector.
1 White wire for opening the emblem - Where does this wire go? Do I need to run it all the way to the emblem? even if I have a Highline RVC?

And what about the Highline RVC harness? Is it useless after installing the new one? or when making the Areaview harness they take into consideration you already have some sort of Camera in the emblem that opens up and you tap into these wires?

2. Coding
Any coding needs to be done to the modules in the car apart from the Areaview module?
The white wire goes to pin 4 on the connector to the rear emblem, can wires i gotta check. the its not totally useless. the 12v, GND, can wires can be used. really only need the signal to the emblem and camera cable.

there are a couple of coding changes. i dont remember off hand. i just went through with vcds and checked for 360 enviromental camera. its only in a couple of places. park assist module and one other module.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Fucked on ebay again. Ebay listing had a picture of rear emblem and base. Of course when it came it was only the emblem. I knew i should have asked. And chinese new year is in 2 goddam days. What are the chances an aliexpress order gets shipped that quick.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
When I get back to this I'm just going to buy the dammed $350+ dollar thing from the dealer and be done with it 😶. And shipping out in 2 days... doubtful, haha. At minimum you'd have to go FedEx so they would take over once it hits their hands. If you don't go FedEx even if it leaves the warehouse it's going to one of their new (and pretty cool, actually) order consolidation centers which will probably be shut down for the holidays.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Found the part number for the euro hatch opener non camera. 5H6827469

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Or 2G6827469 for a polo

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Yes. Just for the logo.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
The white wire goes to pin 4 on the connector to the rear emblem, can wires i gotta check. the its not totally useless. the 12v, GND, can wires can be used. really only need the signal to the emblem and camera cable.

there are a couple of coding changes. i dont remember off hand. i just went through with vcds and checked for 360 enviromental camera. its only in a couple of places. park assist module and one other module.
Tried plugging the module to the car after wiring everything and it is not recognized by the car, its has power so gateway is the problem.( It did work when I plugged It into my bench setup)
Do you guys maybe remember where you tapped into the gateway wires? I tapped into pins 3 and 4 in the TIUL coupling point, Yellowish plug.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I tap in at the gateway, well almost at the gateway. I have one of these that I've been using since early in my retrofit journey. https://a.aliexpress.com/_msqcv5y

I don't really mess around at TIUL... But are you sure you're on the right plug and you don't have high and low swapped?

Those are the only things that could be wrong really, as long as power and ground are good.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
It connects to extended can (7 and 17) on gateway.