GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Areaview Retrofit Progress

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Im doing this in 2 phases. Get the front and rear cameras working. (You can code out the mirror cameras) And when that is working then come the cameras in the mirrors

So lets start with the parts needed

Rear emblem: 3G0827469G (This is from a Passat, and is not a direct fit. The emblem is a different size. It appears sunken in and to small around. The emblem can be switched for the correct one. This is not difficult. Have to take some pictures of the process. There are several different variations of this emblem, but the water drain fitting is angled and not straight down)
Areaview Cameras: 5Q0980546A x4
Areaview Module: 5Q0907556B
Areaview Module Bracket: 5G0919937 (There arent studs on the floor board to mount the bracket, i used 3M tape)
Module Bracket Cover: 5QF972136
Clips for Cover: N91158501
Calibration Targets.
Harness: I got mine from Aliexpress. You can also order the cables piece meal from VW. In hindsight i should have done this, because i have to cut up the cables, which has already caused a problem.

Next the wiring. The wiring is pretty simple. 1 wire from module to the rear emblem (Guessing its the signal to open the emblem) And something that isnt in my harness is the wires to the parking sensor switches.

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 8.07.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 8.09.15 PM.png

areaviewdiagram.png

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I didn't know the rear emblem is not a direct fit, good to know. I have the same part from Passat waiting at home.

what bracket will you use to mount the front camera?

you can code out any camera but the icon of the "crossed out in red" camera stays on the screen and the relative portion of the image will be grayed out.

I assume that won't allow calibration, nobody has answered this so far from the few people I have been able to ask.

I would be happy enough with just front and rear cameras.

you can buy all wiring from the dealer but it's waaaay overpriced, crazy. I will build all from scratch for a good saving on money. assembling the Fakra conns looks challenging but I did worse in the past.

if you have a minute could you check if the Fakra cables are straight or mirrored?

thank you, I am spiritually with you on this journey.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
The fakras is where my problem lies. I cut and spiced for the rear emblem. And im getting short to plus errors. Either the the color of the wires in either fakra cable arent the same or it isnt a straight connection. I bought a couple of different brackets. I got a front camera bracket on Aliexpress but the camera is too big. I also ordered a tiguan bracket, but i havent gotten that far. I only managed to wire the module and rear camera. Got frustrated with the errors for the rear camera, broke my center console. So i gave up for the day.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
they are most probably mirrored then, instead of straight. by mirrored I mean:

pin 1 to 4
pin 2 to 3
pin 3 to 2
pin 4 to 1

you can easily check with a multimeter on a Fakra cable that is still intact. use a sewing needle to help reach inside the pins.

but if you cut a cable in the middle it should not matter, you join wire by wire. wires cant just switch color along rhe cable. unless I have misunderstood something from you above.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
they are most probably mirrored then, instead of straight. by mirrored I mean:

pin 1 to 4
pin 2 to 3
pin 3 to 2
pin 4 to 1

you can easily check with a multimeter on a Fakra cable that is still intact. use a sewing needle to help reach inside the pins.

but if you cut a cable in the middle it should not matter, you join wire by wire. wires cant just switch color along rhe cable. unless I have misunderstood something from you above.
Well the problem in hind sight is simple. I spliced the cable from the camera to a cable that came with my aliexpress harness. So different cable manufacturers. So while the colors where the same, the colors don't correspond to the same pins.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Looking at that the colors should be the same for both cables if they were made correctly. Unless my splice is bad. I know the module is good, I tested with an unmolested cable and new camera, only basic setting errors.

If my progress so far is any indication this is gonna take a while. 7 hours in and I've only got 1 cable run. Hope your patient.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I'm trying, but this is gonna be awhile. I have to order some fakra cables. I destroyed the rear cable. So I used the front camera cable for the rear.

Having these problems and I haven't even gotten to the difficult part, the mirrors

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm just giving you a hard time. I've got a bunch of projects that are sort-of making progress... facelift BCM, RGB Ambient, Electronic Parking Brake 🤦‍♂️.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I know, ya it sucks when you hit a wall. Seems like china/aliexpress is under lockdown again. I cannot get an answer for anyone. So that makes getting fakra cables troublsome. I never do enough research, and it always takes longer than it should. And i do like you. Its never just one at a time. Even though i said not too long ago heated steering wheel was put on hold, i couldnt help myself.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
20220614_133301.jpg

Took a long time for this update. But front and rears are working. Just need to actually mount the front camera and aim the rear. Was a pain finding vcp parameters that would work, but finally got it working. Now the hardest phase. The mirrors.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Can't see anything except dust on the screen :ROFLMAO:.

What parameters did you end up going with

A Kodiak, whatever that is. It will probably present problems later when trying to calibrate the side cameras. But I will cross that bridge when I get to it

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
20220614_164011.jpg

Front camera mounted. Don't mind it being off center a little. Hardly noticeable