GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are there two coolant sensors on a 2015 Golf TSI 1.8?

EEDJ

I had a CEL code P0118 (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 1, Circuit High) so I changed the sensor that is located on the hose at the bottom of the radiator. I reset the code but the light is back on a couple of days later. Is there a sensor located on the head or block as well?

Thanks

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Yep, there's another one in the head (see pic). Also worth noting however.....you sometimes get those codes throwing up, maybe along with 'poor coolant flow' or somesuch, when something is acting up in the waterpump/thermostat housing (had them once every couple of months or so on our 2015 1.8Tsi, replaced wpump/tstat housing, all is now well).

1679181784366.png

Last edited:

EEDJ

Thanks for the reply with pictures and instructions. I can see the sensor on my car. I'll replace it to see if that fixes it. I probably need a water pump assembly now or soon since I'm at 210k miles on the original. Once the weather is a little warmer I may do that too.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
That's a great mileage on an original - thought I was doing well at 140k. Per my other posts I was doing a lot of other work in there at the same time, so it made sense to do the pump at the same time especially as we were getting those occasional cooling related glitches although visibly I didn't see anything amiss with it when I took it apart.

EEDJ

Update: I did change the coolant temperature sensor located on the head and it seems to have solved the light problem. I'm on borrowed time with the water pump assembly so that will probably be next.

Truform

Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2023 GLI
That's a great mileage on an original - thought I was doing well at 140k. Per my other posts I was doing a lot of other work in there at the same time, so it made sense to do the pump at the same time especially as we were getting those occasional cooling related glitches although visibly I didn't see anything amiss with it when I took it apart.
Is this the same for a 2015 GTI? I can’t seem to find my 2nd sensor where that diagram is showing it.