GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are there really no full synthetic vw508 oils?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've used M1 0W-40 as well. So Molygen has more friction modifier, but viscosity breakdown was worse. Not sure that's a good trade-off
Exactly - Molygen's claim to fame is "MFC" - Molecular Friction Control - it's primarily tungsten disulfide. I like to test things so used it, it's fine, but yes, the viscosity break down is a little higher as you can see below. If you take out the anomaly at 20K (that viscosity is way off to me) as well as the mid-interval check after VIR at ~49K and average the LLHT vs. the Molygen in terms of % drop in viscosity, you get 12.5% for LLHT vs. 15.3% for Molygen. It's relevant.

Capture2.JPG

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
how does LLHT stack in numbers against M1?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
how does LLHT stack in numbers against M1?
I don't have any data points yet, first run with M1 is in the car and will get changed in a few mos. @6K. Plan to run it 3x intervals for at least a few data points. It's cheap at Walmart or Costco.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I don't have any data points yet, first run with M1 is in the car and will get changed in a few mos. @6K. Plan to run it 3x intervals for at least a few data points. It's cheap at Walmart or Costco.
cool. I have vwcare until 50k, so I have to take their castrol 5w crap. I change it out to my preference at 5k. Mobil 1 will be my next round

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
does the 508 oil stay green?

curiosity only.

and all oil is synthetic because dinosaurs never existed (see Bible for proof)
It does not stay green.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah, most Blackstone reports I've seen posted point toward the same thing. Seems like even with a tune, if you get a good quality oil, 7.5k per change could be in the cards.
I think that's the ticket for most tuned or aggressively street driven cars. Most people will be just fine at 10k though.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think that's the ticket for most tuned or aggressively street driven cars. Most people will be just fine at 10k though.
For sure. 5 - 7.5 works great for most folks tuned or not.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
There are UOA after UOA showing it so no need for folks to speculate - if VW says a XYZ approved oil can go that long, that's all part of the approval so it can do it. As you say, you tool your OCI for the use and best to do it based on data but if that isn't your jam, 5K always works and is why so many use it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There are UOA after UOA showing it so no need for folks to speculate - if VW says a XYZ approved oil can go that long, that's all part of the approval so it can do it. As you say, you tool your OCI for the use and best to do it based on data but if that isn't your jam, 5K always works and is why so many use it.
I think we're agreeing here. 👍

I think it gets more difficult when you really start beating on a car, say tracking, or like a friend of mine that's single and autocrosses in swampass Florida literally every weekend.

For my son's street driven stock 18 S, it gets 10k intervals or 1 year. For my 19 modded, tracked and autocrossed car, it gets 5k intervals, heavier oil, and I change it if I hit 270 oil temp on track after the event, which is most summer events.

It's all about how you drive that determines how often to change.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think we're agreeing here. 👍

I think it gets more difficult when you really start beating on a car, say tracking, or like a friend of mine that's single and autocrosses in swampass Florida literally every weekend.

For my son's street driven stock 18 S, it gets 10k intervals or 1 year. For my 19 modded, tracked and autocrossed car, it gets 5k intervals, heavier oil, and I change it if I hit 270 oil temp on track after the event, which is most summer events.

It's all about how you drive that determines how often to change.
For sure. I tracked my last oil that was in there for a weekend and that's likely the cause of the larger viscosity drop I saw. Thought about running a 5W50 or similar this year but will stick with M1 0W40 - it's a v. stout oil track or not.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Stating you run M1 0W40 around here seems to get people up in a tizzy. I never understood the hate. I run it on all 3 of our 2.0T cars, varying from stock on 91 pump to hybrid on E85. 2 of these cars are 100k+ and one probably has the same amount of wear in half the miles :ROFLMAO:

I see no reason not to run it, and it's cheap too after rebate.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Stating you run M1 0W40 around here seems to get people up in a tizzy. I never understood the hate. I run it on all 3 of our 2.0T cars, varying from stock on 91 pump to hybrid on E85. 2 of these cars are 100k+ and one probably has the same amount of wear in half the miles :ROFLMAO:

Because LM has what engines crave--it's got electrolytes

tigeo

Autocross Champion

It's a much higher quality oil overall, is more resistant to high temps/shear conditions but hey....zERo WEIghT meaNS waTER anD NO proTECTion. I still like/use LM products in all my VWs and like the company in general. I used M1 0W40 for 220K in my MK4 Jetta on mostly 10K oil changes...it's great stuff so figured I'd collect some data. Data drives this, not gut.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I run 5w-40 in my 2019 and get hate mail from strangers telling me that VW engineers are smarter than I am and that the dealer will know it's not 0w-20 because the green dye. Sorry, first oil change was 5000 miles and it looked just like every other used oil.

My car wasn't designed to be tracked, so those smart engineers designed it and it's oil requirements for a daily driven 228hp sporty econobox.

Whatever, I just ignore people and my car runs just fine.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I run 5w-40 in my 2019 and get hate mail from strangers telling me that VW engineers are smarter than I am.

I get that, but my car wasn't designed to be tracked, so those smart engineers designed it and it's oil requirements for a daily driven 228hp sporty econobox.

Whatever, I just ignore people and my car runs just fine.
ahahahaha....so THIS. It's like saying anything other than Rotella T6 over on NASIOC