GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are there good brake upgrade options for PP?

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Tried searching for this topic, but either there isn't one, or my search-fu sucks. Sorry if the latter.

I got a PP GTI (with the R brakes, 340mm front discs), which are great for driving around, but at track days they're less than adequate, to put it mildly (they're garbage if I want to be blunt :D )

Here's what I mean by that: I can go about half-way through the first 30-min session before they overheat badly, where at the end of the session my brake distance doubles and get almost outbraked by 370Z's with their terribly undersized brakes. In the 2nd & 3rd sessions they overheat on the 2nd lap, and at the end of the track day the rotors are warped.
First time I had the stock rotors w/ EBC yellows (pads properly broken-in ahead of time). Replaced the warped rotors with flat cryo-treated Centrics, new pads (also broken-in prior), and these lasted 2 track days before warping. I let the brakes cool on my cooldown lap where I don't even touch the brakes, then leave the car on wheel stops between sessions.
I know I'm hard on brakes on the track, but that's how I learned to go since I was racing karts when I was a kid. This has not been an issue in my old E39 M5 or my even older 928 GTS back in the day when I was younger and really driving like a madman :)
I also run ATE Typ200 brake fluid, eversince I boiled the stock fluid just driving fast on twisties, and I change it a couple times/yr.

I know there are BBKs that cost $2000-$5000, but beyond the crazy upfront cost, they also cost a ton to replace pads & rotors on top of very few options for said pads & rot.

Does anyone know of any stock VAG (or otherwise) option for a brakes upgrade that would be close to a drop-in (with minimal mods), like some Audi/Porsche brks that would fit our cars?

Last edited:

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Have you tried the RS3 brake ducts? Might help with cooling

Yep, I ordered and received them, but not in time to actually put them on & test them on track. They're definitely gonna go on for next year, but I would still like a more radical solution, like some bigger brakes, if there are any to be had.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
RBF 600 and DS2500 pads are more than adequate for my local track (Gingerman). EBC Yellow are pretty crap pads so I'm sure that didn't help.

RS3 ducts will help out quite a bit as long as you've got enough airflow.

What track are you running? Also do you have ESC disabled?

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
RBF 600 and DS2500 pads are more than adequate for my local track (Gingerman). EBC Yellow are pretty crap pads so I'm sure that didn't help.

RS3 ducts will help out quite a bit as long as you've got enough airflow.

What track are you running? Also do you have ESC disabled?

I know EBC yellows are not full-on race pads (no matter how hard EBC would like us to think they are), but I like them for being easy on the rotors and being as civilized on the street as any ceramic pad. I don't have fond memories of the frequent rotors replacements stemming from race pads..

Usually go to Joliet. And yes, ESC off.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I'm in a similar situation and was going to post the same thread too when my brakes are due for replacement. I find the stock brakes to be adequate for a beginner (intermediate) track driver. I find every time after I let the brakes cool down a bit, they're back to performing the way they were initially. This could be due to me running in 15 to 20 minute sessions. I've never had a 30 minute session before.

As for the pads, I'm looking at EBC Yellow Stuff or Hawk HPS 5.0 with USR/BSD slotted rotors or ECS slotted rotors and Motul RBF600 brake fluid. This kind of set up looks good on paper, but I'm not sure if it actually is good or not.

If I remember correctly, a friend I met at the track was running Hawk Street/Race pads on stock rotors in his 2016 Golf R. The braking performance was phenomal but he said they squealed a lot in daily driving, which isn't good for me since my own GTI is my daily and track car. I'm not going for all out lap times after all, just going to have some fun and want upgraded performance.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
As a general rule, the better the pad is on track, the more you'll replace rotors, I remember Pagids having absolutely amazing performance, but me and my friends were buying rotors in bulk.

Not sure about those Hawks' performance if they have 'street' in their name.. :p

I met a guy at the track who runs Carbotech pads on his R and swears by them, but riding with him once they didn't impress me.
..but then he wasn't braking as hard as I would, so maybe there's that :D

I've never managed to boil the Typ200 fluid, or know anyone who has, so the RBF600 doesn't seem worth it to me, since it costs more than double.

Last edited:

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Just get some blank rotors from Rock Auto for $35 a side and get better pads is what I would recommend.

I ran the slotted power stops and they weren't much of an improvement.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
In my experience, the Hawk "street" pads werent' any good on track, were down to the backing plates in an hour. I love their DTC-60, which last me about 8 hours on track. They are hard on rotors, but threshold braking :p

If you hate the DTC-60, then i think the only way up from there are with the Pagid endurance pads, which are hard on the wallet. :mad:

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
TT-RS Calipers and Vagbremtechnic Adapters.

This gives you the performance of a proper 4 piston caliper and unbeknownst to some, the caliper is the same as for the Cadillac CTS-V and Subaru STI so you have an excellent pad selection at reasonable prices.

The adapters allow you to run the factory size rotor to keep costs down as the actual TT-RS rotors are around $300 each unless you go to Giro Disc for about $1k for the pair. Also the TT-RS rotors are not directional so in a 30 min session you man run into heat issues.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
There are the Golf CCS two piece 340mm discs..which are now part of the "R" PP...but again the internal venting is rubbish..as they use one cast for both side..so one side the vent run the wrong way...

Same discs used on Audi..& many on trackdays have had problems with just one side...way to go VAG!!…

There is the Audi S3 4 pot calipers which are smaller & take 338/340mm discs....straight bolt on but you can't remove the pads like conventional 4pots..you have to remove the caliper & fish them out that way....

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
Have you looked into these? :D

Attachments

• 15379890162900.jpg
    15379890162900.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,799

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10374

Not sure if these will clear the 340mm rotors but they are awesome on the standard 312mm. The stock floating single pistons calipers were pulsating when they get too hot on track, not a fun situation. Also "rotor warp" is almost always pad buildup so keep an eye on that

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
TT-RS Calipers and Vagbremtechnic Adapters.

This gives you the performance of a proper 4 piston caliper and unbeknownst to some, the caliper is the same as for the Cadillac CTS-V and Subaru STI so you have an excellent pad selection at reasonable prices.

The adapters allow you to run the factory size rotor to keep costs down as the actual TT-RS rotors are around $300 each unless you go to Giro Disc for about $1k for the pair. Also the TT-RS rotors are not directional so in a 30 min session you man run into heat issues.

You're da man!!

Finally someone found something worth looking into, thanks! :)