GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are there good brake upgrade options for PP?

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
There is the Audi S3 4 pot calipers which are smaller & take 338/340mm discs....straight bolt on but you can't remove the pads like conventional 4pots..you have to remove the caliper & fish them out that way....

If they're straight bolt-on, removing 2 extra caliper bolts for pad replacement doesn't seem like the end of the world.. :rolleyes:

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10374

Not sure if these will clear the 340mm rotors but they are awesome on the standard 312mm. The stock floating single pistons calipers were pulsating when they get too hot on track, not a fun situation. Also "rotor warp" is almost always pad buildup so keep an eye on that

Couldn't find anything about those working for the PP 340mm discs, and the swept area is 10% smaller than the non-PP stock calipers, so maybe not much of an improvement..?

Last edited:

Swoope

Ready to race!
I know EBC yellows are not full-on race pads (no matter how hard EBC would like us to think they are), but I like them for being easy on the rotors and being as civilized on the street as any ceramic pad. I don't have fond memories of the frequent rotors replacements stemming from race pads..

Usually go to Joliet. And yes, ESC off.

your issues are the pads. i killed a set of ebc yellowcrap in two 20 min sessions at sebring.

you have to buck up for a set of real track pads. many have been mentioned.

i happen to use porterfield r4s on the front. they are great, and not hard on rotors.

you can get a bbk, but you are going to still have to buy suitable pads.

beers

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
My friend found a set of Powerstop Z26 kit at Rock Auto. Also Stoptech Sport pads. Might be worth investigating?

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
My friend found a set of Powerstop Z26 kit at Rock Auto. Also Stoptech Sport pads. Might be worth investigating?

They are not. Had that set up on my previous car and managed to warp the rotors and get pad deposits while on the street-on back roads, without reaching track speeds, in an '04 Acura TL-and followed the recommended break in to a T.

Id absolutely avoid.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Stoptech Sport are fine for rear pads, don't waste time with them up front though. The powerstop one are okay-ish for DD.

SVTunit

Ready to race!
How about this? :D

These are pre-production calipers that I am running on my car. OEM setup with Ø375mm rotors that bolt right up to our cars with no modifications. :) Should be available from your local dealer when the car launches in the middle of 2019. I can't disclose what program these are for. :cool:

railroader

Autocross Newbie
17in wheels

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Crackness1

Ready to race!
Should I start a new topic for those of us who are content with the stock PP brakes (except for the excess brake dust) and just want a recommendation for equal or only slightly better performance to stock at a reasonable price? :D

I remember reading something in a thread with 50 million different pad recommendations (ok maybe not that many but didn't exactly see a consensus) that OE equivalent discs on rockauto were under $80 for front L+R together... at those prices does it matter which one you go with, or will they last / perform about equal?

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Should I start a new topic for those of us who are content with the stock PP brakes (except for the excess brake dust) and just want a recommendation for equal or only slightly better performance to stock at a reasonable price? :D

I remember reading something in a thread with 50 million different pad recommendations (ok maybe not that many but didn't exactly see a consensus) that OE equivalent discs on rockauto were under 100 for front L+R... at those prices does it matter which one you go with, or will they last / perform about equal?

I just tracked the cheapest blanks I could get from Rock Auto and they held up fine with my DS2500 pads.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I bought hawk pads but have yet it install them, but I know of a few people that use them and really like them

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Couldn't find anything about those working for the PP 340mm discs, and the swept area is 10% smaller than the non-PP stock calipers, so maybe not much of an improvement..?

It's inner swept area so it doesn't matter, it's discussed in the thread...

No fade this weekend at the track running Porterfield R4 pads. My instructor who drives an Elise was impressed that I could still over-brake at the end of the day. Super happy with the improvement over the oem floating calipers not to mention the price when compared to other options.

Salvaged calipers $250
Brackets and hardware $280
New seals $50
Race pads $190
Motul 5.1 fluid $12

I still think this is the best deal even if you have PP and need to downsize to 312mm rotors, think of the weight savings lol! The performance is in the pads and caliper design anyhow :D