GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are there any tutorials for replacing halogen headlight bulbs?

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
I had a look in the owner's manual and it said to contact VW if you need a bulb replaced but I'd much rather do it myself. Are there any video tutorials or step-by-step guides floating around the ether?

DJAtienza

Ready to race!
You required to remove the bumper and the headlight assembly. Or you can do try to squeeze your hands between the small gaps behind the low-beams. If your hands are bigger then mine, then removing the bumper and headlight is your only option.

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
I was really hoping that wouldn't be the case. I'm about to order some brighter H15 and H7 bulbs but I wanna know what I'm getting myself into first.

Fanis1

Ready to race!
You shouldn't have to remove the bumper if you don't have the xenons. The procedure of replacing a headlight bulb is written clearly in the owner's manual, at least on mine. Here is a pic of it:
and here is a how to video: https://youtu.be/M7RQqPKZz40

eurotrash1

Ready to race!
Its as simple as it gets. remove boot and twist out bulb, place new bulb in socket and twist it back in. It can be tricky to get them twisted back into place, go easy on it because the tabs can bend and you will need to remove the headlight to fix it.

Ronin3

Ready to race!
The easiest way of changing the dipped H7 bulbs on the Golf 7 is to go via the wheelarch liners of the front wheels. Its easiest if you remove the wheel each side in turn but you can turn the wheels to the opposite lock of the side you are doing if you don't own a jack.

Remove a few torx head screws nearest the front bumper to disconnect the two parts of the liner. Insert your arm in the gap at a 45 degree angle and you will feel the headlight bulb cap.

Once this is removed you can access the bulb holder for the dipped H7 bulb.

The H15 daytime running/high beam bulb can be changed quite simply.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
I spent about 5-7 minutes to replace left and right H7 bulbs on my TSI Estate/Variant directly from the engine bay, "the normal way". Very easy. It’s tight but far from impossible.

/Peter

PS @Fanis - Your video is about Golf 6 Estate :).

Last edited:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
You shouldn't have to remove the bumper if you don't have the xenons. The procedure of replacing a headlight bulb is written clearly in the owner's manual, at least on mine. and here is a how to video: https://youtu.be/M7RQqPKZz40

These images are definitely not in the manual for my US Spec Golf S. I, like the OP, have a line saying to see VW dealer for service. Also you know you linked to a video showing the MKVI right?

What's REALLY hard is the turn signals. I just put DeAutoKey LED turns in my front and I absolutely had to remove the bumper and headlight to do this due to fitment and angle you have to insert he bulbs in. I haven't tried the normal headlights/running lights, but looking at their placement, I'd imagine they are much easier to do and wouldn't require removing the bumper.

I have small hands too.

BocaLogic

I spent about 5-7 minutes to replace left and right H7 bulbs on my TSI Estate/Variant directly from the engine bay, "the normal way". Very easy. It’s tight but far from impossible.

/Peter

PS @Fanis - Your video is about Golf 6 Estate :).

How the heck did you get your hands in ? I could not get my fat paws on the drivers side light and gave up.

Tone1

Ready to race!
I just replaced the low beams in my GTI. Thread in the Cosmetic forum. Found you can get a little more room removing the fuse box cover as well as the high beam cover. Doesn't get you a lot of room, but I have pretty big hands and it was enough for me. Passenger side wasn't too much of a problem. Recommend using a rubber jar opener for a little extra grip.

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
I just replaced the low beams in my GTI. Thread in the Cosmetic forum. Found you can get a little more room removing the fuse box cover as well as the high beam cover. Doesn't get you a lot of room, but I have pretty big hands and it was enough for me. Passenger side wasn't too much of a problem. Recommend using a rubber jar opener for a little extra grip.

Can you provide link to those direction in the cosmetic forum?

MarcA

Ready to race!
i was thinking of upgrading the bulbs too.. the stock ones are "C&%P" coming from xenons on the previous car, its like someone turning the lights out completely. Is it just one pair of H7 and H5 required? h5 for drl and H7 for dipped?

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
i was thinking of upgrading the bulbs too.. the stock ones are "C&%P" coming from xenons on the previous car, its like someone turning the lights out completely. Is it just one pair of H7 and H5 required? h5 for drl and H7 for dipped?

H7 - Dipped
H11- Fogs
H15 - DRL

DV52

Drag Racing Champion