GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ARE the MK7 GTI 2015 TURBOS BAD?

gs2online

Ready to race!
Originally Posted by gs2online
IM CONSIDERING BY A 2015 MK7 GTI. But I'm told to avoid so. Because there have been problems with the Earlier 2015 turbos. The ones I'm looking at all have 20 -30k miles on them and are under warranty. Can you look at the vin number and tell if they car was one of the early production line that had problems.

or Should I just get a 2016 or 2017

Please Help

Build date 2-2015
Autobahn
VIN:
3VW4T7AU1FM015838

3VW5T7AUXFM049166

3VW4T7AU3FM072686

3VW4T7AUXFM073737

Last edited:

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Any chance you can grab a 16 instead? Id lean that way instead because of the updated tech etc

gs2online

Ready to race!
Yeah there’s some out there, but there not the color I wanted and don’t have the options. “Moon roof” But I might have to just sacrifice that . Or just wait til one shows up. I heard that some people are fine with the 2015 GTIs and some are not. People tell me it was only in the early production line. So in trying research the vin numbers to the ones I’m looking at.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
There are plenty of 2015's running strong with the turbo's they came with. Shaft play resulting in failure is more common on 2015's than 2016's but that doesnt mean it is common. Very few actually fail, its just more common on 2015's

If you really want to be safe about it, you can get the turbo looked at after purchased and rebalanced by a professional.

That being said you might want to wait for a 2016 to show up that meets your requirements. The headunit has some nice upgrades such as carplay, android auto and USB connection.

gs2online

Ready to race!
Wow Thanks . That’s good to know. That really helped me. I might just wait it out and get a 16 when the time is right. I plan on modding it and I don’t want any problems. If I can avoid it

Thanks buddy.

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
Originally Posted by gs2online
IM CONSIDERING BY A 2015 MK7 GTI. But I'm told to avoid so. Because there have been problems with the Earlier 2015 turbos. The ones I'm looking at all have 20 -30k miles on them and are under warranty. Can you look at the vin number and tell if they car was one of the early production line that had problems.

or Should I just get a 2016 or 2017

Please Help

Build date 2-2015
Autobahn
VIN:
3VW4T7AU1FM015838

3VW5T7AUXFM049166

3VW4T7AU3FM072686

3VW4T7AUXFM073737

Sometime back somebody did a turbo failure survey. I don’t believe it was broken down by build date or vin. I do believe that the failures were attributed to 2014 builds. My 2015 was a Feb. 2015 build. Added APR Stage One and 30k...no issues. I have done 6 oil changes and do proper warm up (180F) oil before WOT.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I think it’s more of a lottery, I bought mine in September 2014 and 30k miles later stage 2 is runing strong and 0 problems.
With that said I would buy the newest possible because of the upgrades BUT that doesn’t mean that your turbo is not going to fail.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I'd be more concerned about big engine/clutch issues over turbos, especially if you're planning on tuning. Like the turbo issues, most catastrophic engine failures I've read about are from 2015s. OEM clutch seems to be weak for all model years.

You can find a used low mile is20 all day for $500 or less shipped. Is that really gonna break the bank if God forbid worst case scenario it blows? I don't see it as something worth losing sleep over like a Porsche IMS bearing or anything that could catch you with an astronomical bill.

I would grab a 16+, have the engine thoroughly inspected, and not worry about the turbo with proper maintenance + waiting for appropriate oil temp before punching it. Everything else on the mk7 seems solid for the most part.

Best of luck.

gs2online

Ready to race!
I'd be more concerned about big engine/clutch issues over turbos, especially if you're planning on tuning. Like the turbo issues, most catastrophic engine failures I've read about are from 2015s. OEM clutch seems to be weak for all model years.

You can find a used low mile is20 all day for $500 or less shipped. Is that really gonna break the bank if God forbid worst case scenario it blows? I don't see it as something worth losing sleep over like a Porsche IMS bearing or anything that could catch you with an astronomical bill.

I would grab a 16+, have the engine thoroughly inspected, and not worry about the turbo with proper maintenance + waiting for appropriate oil temp before punching it. Everything else on the mk7 seems solid for the most part.

Best of luck.

Thanks you guys help a lot. I would rather talk to somebody how's one then A salesman trying to sale it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B00STED1

Ready to race!
Bought my 2015 at the end of November with 30,800 on the odo. Currently JB4 tuned since 31,663 and running just fine. It was a lease trade in, but I haven't had any problems besides some coolant going missing (attributed more than likely to the water pump which is covered under my CPO warranty). If I were you, I'd definitely try to find one that has a CPO.

gs2online

Ready to race!
Bought my 2015 at the end of November with 30,800 on the odo. Currently JB4 tuned since 31,663 and running just fine. It was a lease trade in, but I haven't had any problems besides some coolant going missing (attributed more than likely to the water pump which is covered under my CPO warranty). If I were you, I'd definitely try to find one that has a CPO.

Yeah all those ones I found are still under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
There was a turbo revision sometime early in 2015, you want to avoid anything prior to "G" revision...I have April 2015 build with "G" rev.

These should be all good, there is probably newer rev after "L"

06K 145 722G
06K 145 722K
06K 145 722L

It's really hard to see this in the car, since it's located at the back of the turbo.

Here is some reading material for you:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5276

I would look for year 2016 or 2017, simply for better infotainment system, if that's important to you.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
It's gonna be a crapshoot either way if you think about it. I mean, people are still popping new is38 revisions left and right.

All I can give you is my personal experience, my 2015 has 31k miles and 23k of them are on ED's stage 2 ht file and she is still kicking strongly, factory turbo too.

My luck though, it will blow because I have officially put this in writing. Oh well, fiance couldn't be mad at me for picking up a Boss kit or a new 2018 then, right?

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
It's not hard at all to check your compressor wheel for any play every now and then too. I imagine these turbos don't just let go all of the sudden. There must be some play in the shaft prior to them grenading.

jmal2005

Ready to race!
I have a 2015 A3 w/ 15k miles on it. I've been stage 2 w/ e85 blend for 10k miles now and it's pulling strong as ever. If it's going to blow I'm going to make sure it does it before the warranty is done hahaha.