GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ARE the MK7 GTI 2015 TURBOS BAD?

Kyle_Kelso

Passed Driver's Ed
We were driving our 2015 in June 2014, so obviously early 2014 build date! 160,000km on original engine and turbo with no trouble yet. I've been snooping around trying to find what maintenance items to be looking at now and finding all these "OMG 2015 is a horrible year" threads but only a handful of early failures I've read about and how many 2015s are on the road world wide? Most people don't post on forums about their trouble free cars and most people on forums are tuning or racing and that leads to pre-mature failure...
My car is stock, never had a single CEL, never used any seafoam or other treatments, never had to clean the intake (though thinking about pulling it just to check and clean if needed), no clutch slip, runs perfect! (Knock on wood)

It's not babied either, I drive it hard when my wifes not in it to give me the look... LOL

I just give it the old Italian tune up every now and again and a few hard pulls when it's nice and hot. Maybe that's the trick, or maybe we just got lucky... But I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2015 if you find one you like.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Get a 2016!!! The turbos are fine as long as your build date is after like, December 2014, but MIB1 is still an abysmal joke of an infotainment system. you also get a backup camera on S models with 2016's.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Echoing the sentiment to get a 2016.

It's pretty much the best model year for the mk7, since you get the good turbo's, mib2, backup camera, and other assorted niceties over the '15s.

Kyle_Kelso

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2015 has a backup camera...
And other than the stupid proprietary iPhone only cables, the Fender audio system is awesome and the satelite radio and bluetooth streaming work just fine. Best factory radio I've ever had...

Was there a difference between the autobahn and base models in that regard?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
My 2015 has a backup camera...
And other than the stupid proprietary iPhone only cables, the Fender audio system is awesome and the satelite radio and bluetooth streaming work just fine. Best factory radio I've ever had...

Was there a difference between the autobahn and base models in that regard?

your MIB1 is the best factory radio system you've ever had???

Both of mine (yes, this dumbass owns 2 2015 MK7's) have innumerable quirks and inconsistent issues that cant be reproduced at a dealer. and the lack of an Aux input is, to me, offensive

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I haven’t had any issues with my radio unit in my 2015 GTi (nor turbo), but if I was buying used I’d go for 2016, unless there was a huge price difference on ‘15s.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
42K on early 2015, been tuned for 41K of those miles. No problems, I do have the G revision turbo. Also, even if it goes; you can buy a turbo for $500 (tops) and replace.

I had the MIB1 infotainment system and upgraded to the MIB2 in the 16's. Yes the MIB2 has Carplay. However, it is not the end of the world as the MIB1 works well, bluetooth for listening to podcasts, etc.

It is about price and getting the features you want.

Last edited:

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
There's no point in getting a 2015. An engine that won't (less likely anyway) blow up is more important than having a moon roof.

Kyle_Kelso

Passed Driver's Ed
your MIB1 is the best factory radio system you've ever had???

Both of mine (yes, this dumbass owns 2 2015 MK7's) have innumerable quirks and inconsistent issues that cant be reproduced at a dealer. and the lack of an Aux input is, to me, offensive
Ok, my 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie had a better system but I owned it less than a year.
Lack of an aux input seems dumb but like I said I have no complaints with bluetooth or Sat radio and haven't had any quirks or issues with it. I don't have nav to deal with though.

gs2online

Ready to race!
I haven’t had any issues with my radio unit in my 2015 GTi (nor turbo), but if I was buying used I’d go for 2016, unless there was a huge price difference on ‘15s.

Wow thanks the price deference is not that much like 2k. It just more 2015s with the moon roof. That I wanted. I'll just keep looking I might have to go out of state to fine one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDan

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 2015 that has just shy of 120,000 miles on it. I just crapped a turbo. Also an engine for that fact. So, while everything is out of the car I'm going to put a new clutch in. The one thing just about everyone said that I will need because the car is tuned. That thing lasted about 90,000 miles with a tune, thats more miles than most people have on their cars. Just remember its mechanical it may brake it may not.

https://qkvideo.net/#/service/watch/573df03053fc819855d34502ce5b96cc