GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are the Golfs going to even compete anymore?

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Just watching a bunch of b58 videos as I’m contemplating the purchase of the 6 speed manual Supra in the future. Will the golf even be competitive when compared to these cars (Supra, 340i, etc)? I feel like the power figures for the next gen are just not that exciting. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
The MK8s haven't had the ECU cracked yet, any tuning done on them is with a tuning box (Think JB4). Or are you speaking to MK7s keeping up with upcoming cars?

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
The MK8s haven't had the ECU cracked yet, any tuning done on them is with a tuning box (Think JB4). Or are you speaking to MK7s keeping up with upcoming cars?
Well a little bit of both, I’m not even confident in the mk8.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Golfs aren't going to be around much longer to compete at all. The MK8, or 8.5 if it gets a refresh, will probably be the last one

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
You're talking about a boosted 4cyl vs a boosted 6cyl. Where stock block 4cyl becomes unreliable the stock block 6cyl keeps going, but I think the weight of the mk7's is something that keeps them competitive. All the new cars are getting heavier and heavier. S model mk7's are usually around 3100lbs. Combine that with a hybrid turbo and fueling you'll make 500whp no prob.

If you're trying to have your 5 sec of fame on AG, yeah a GTI prob isn't your best choice, but a 500whp GTI is nothing to turn your nose up at. Done properly you can run low 7's no prob..

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Just watching a bunch of b58 videos as I’m contemplating the purchase of the 6 speed manual Supra in the future. Will the golf even be competitive when compared to these cars (Supra, 340i, etc)? I feel like the power figures for the next gen are just not that exciting. Maybe someone can enlighten me?
Where the GTI is competitive in it's value as an all arounder.
It's going to fit four people and cargo, or a bike or gas grill in the hatch - where no Supra ever will.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Weird comparison, a manual B58 Supra is $52.5k compared to a manual R being $44.3k. With a price delta over 8 grand and one being a two door coupe and the other a four door hatchback, we're not even really talking the same class of car here.

A X-Drive M340i is somewhat more comparable in terms of being a do it all daily, but that's a $56.7k car before options (and no manual). I'm not exactly bothered that a car that in all likelihood will be over $10k more expensive than the most potent Golf winds up being faster.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
they're definitely competitive for the price. Aftermarket suspension support is pretty good as well.
Besides, a GTI will haul more bags of mulch from Home Depot than a Supra.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Weird comparison, a manual B58 Supra is $52.5k compared to a manual R being $44.3k. With a price delta over 8 grand and one being a two door coupe and the other a four door hatchback, we're not even really talking the same class of car here.

A X-Drive M340i is somewhat more comparable in terms of being a do it all daily, but that's a $56.7k car before options (and no manual). I'm not exactly bothered that a car that in all likelihood will be over $10k more expensive than the most potent Golf winds up being faster.
Thats just for the R. My post-dieselgate S was 26.5 brand spanking new.

I could have bought one, crashed it, bought another one, and still have spent less money than buying a 340 or a supra with a single option. Or to look at it another way, I can drop 20k into building the car, have a very fast hatchback, and still come out ahead price wise of the other options. That's where the golf shines. The ability to do everything and do it relatively cheaply.

It is however not a sports car, nor is it 55k so the premise of this thread is a bit silly.

In related news, I think the supra isn't as fast as a 911 turbo.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Throw a 70 inch TV in the back of a supra and then tell me golfs aren't competitive.
Just picked up a 55" TV with my GTI a couple of weeks ago.
In June, I purchased a Chicken Coop (unassembled in a box) from Tractor Supply.
The woman at the register didn't think it would fit when she phoned the fork lift guy and told him to bring it to "The Volkswagen."
It fit.

Last edited: