GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are high end Tints worth the price tag?

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Huge difference over cheap tint that just darkens windows. Even more of a difference if you do windshield.
I think it's illegal here in Illinois. The last shop I went to was kind of iffy with doing a 30% all the way around since 35% is the legal cut off here.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
And, yes, included in the price are the little triangle glass pieces.

Factory tinted glass like the sunroof are more for privacy vs heat rejection. It helps much like normal tint, but is nowhere near as good as ceramic, carbon, or metallic film for heat.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Chicago Auto and Tint to U are the only Llumar premier installers in the area if Im not mistaken. You cant go wrong with either, but Im pretty sure Tint to U is cheaper.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
40% on two, 35% on one. To me, the 35% looks considerably darker, even though looking at the specs, it’s only around 6-7% difference.

For the windshield, airblu 80% for the darker interior vehicles, 50% for theAlltrack with the beige interior.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Pay the extra for experience and a quality ceramic tint. It will never have that 90s looking purple hue, offers the best heat rejection and typically has an elegant charcoal-ish sheen (not just a shade of black) which is hard to visualize but it just seems more elegant when standing back and looking at the car. Expect to pay close, if not slightly, more than $400.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Pay the extra for experience and a quality ceramic tint. It will never have that 90s looking purple hue, offers the best heat rejection and typically has an elegant charcoal-ish sheen (not just a shade of black) which is hard to visualize but it just seems more elegant when standing back and looking at the car. Expect to pay close, if not slightly, more than $400.

I would pay $400, my last tint cost me $375 and I know it wasn't ceramic. It was good quality though, but this time I want to get the best I can afford.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
40% on two, 35% on one. To me, the 35% looks considerably darker, even though looking at the specs, it’s only around 6-7% difference.

For the windshield, airblu 80% for the darker interior vehicles, 50% for theAlltrack with the beige interior.
I had 30% all the way around before and I liked how that looked vs 35.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I think it's illegal here in Illinois. The last shop I went to was kind of iffy with doing a 30% all the way around since 35% is the legal cut off here.
35% is the limit here too, but the tinter said he does more 20% than any other tint. 🤔

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
I had 30% all the way around before and I liked how that looked vs 35.

keep in mind that some brand’s 25% looks like others 30% and vice versa. Ceramic specifically seems to run about 5% lighter than traditional films at the same “rating”. The sample decks are kind of pointless, I’ve found it best to visit the shop when they recently completed a vehicle in the brand and rating you’re considering to get the best perspective.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
keep in mind that some brand’s 25% looks like others 30% and vice versa. Ceramic specifically seems to run about 5% lighter than traditional films at the same “rating”. The sample decks are kind of pointless, I’ve found it best to visit the shop when they recently completed a vehicle in the brand and rating you’re considering to get the best perspective.
Good to know. I prefer dark enough to where its hard to see inside the car, but not like a blackout where it screams pull me over.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
gonna follow this thread; the previous owner got the windows tinted, but i don't like the colorin of it; it's kind of blueish, and there's a scratch on the back windshield from something and the triangles arent tinted.

One thing to consider is if the tint is polarized (i think, like sunglasses) as well as if it blocks cell phone signals and stuff like that, because some do - apparently!

eajr

Go Kart Champion
gonna follow this thread; the previous owner got the windows tinted, but i don't like the colorin of it; it's kind of blueish, and there's a scratch on the back windshield from something and the triangles arent tinted.

One thing to consider is if the tint is polarized (i think, like sunglasses) as well as if it blocks cell phone signals and stuff like that, because some do - apparently!
I read the Pinnacle doesn't block out cell phone signal.