GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are Catted Downpipes all the same?

fuelforfire87

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
Just a FYI. I bought an AMS downpipe. On their website they claim they use the GESI UHO 850 HP catalyst. When i got delivery, i took a picture of the catalyst and it is only the HO or high output catalyst. Good for 500 HP, assuming that is crank measurement. Not a big deal for me, as i wont be going beyond stage 2. But for the big power bois, thought i should tell. It is EPA certified, btw, but they need to update their webpage.

Attachments

• 20210402_143417.jpg
    20210402_143417.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 108

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just a FYI. I bought an AMS downpipe. On their website they claim they use the GESI UHO 850 HP catalyst. When i got delivery, i took a picture of the catalyst and it is only the HO or high output catalyst. Good for 500 HP, assuming that is crank measurement. Not a big deal for me, as i wont be going beyond stage 2. But for the big power bois, thought i should tell. It is EPA certified, btw, but they need to update their webpage.
They always make HP claims at the wheels.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
They always make HP claims at the wheels.
Who is “they” lol

If you assume GESI would be listing the “can support up to xxx hp” they would 100 percent NOT be referring to wheel hp... as their product is universal and parasitic loads that cause drivetrain loss is not at all universal throughout all types, makes of vehicles. Even the “up to number” is not a universal cap on said items capability to support 500 hp in all types of builds.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Who is “they” lol

If you assume GESI would be listing the “can support up to xxx hp” they would 100 percent NOT be referring to wheel hp... as their product is universal and parasitic loads that cause drivetrain loss is not at all universal throughout all types, makes of vehicles. Even the “up to number” is not a universal cap on said items capability to support 500 hp in all types of builds.
Pretty much. Imagine a 450whp supercharged s4. Thinking they can run that. The loss from spinning a blower is significant.

I’m willing to bet it’s at the crank. It would be crazy to think it wasn’t.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Who is “they” lol

I was just saying that products that make HP claims are talking about wheel HP generally. The GESI cat was a bad example because they said how much HP it will support so I was wrong in that case. Aftermarket parts that state how much HP the product makes is wheel HP because they have no way to measure at the crank. Like for an example when a company says their DP made plus 20 HP over stock they are talking about wheel HP. You can't measure HP at the crank with a DP.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I am on the market for a DP and Uni is the leading one on my list. Are you on the stock exhaust? How is the noise?
Yes, stock exhaust. It's not quiet, especially in the 3-4k range. I like it a lot. Fitment was incredible - no gas smell inside the cabin. It's a real quality piece.

fuelforfire87

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
The AMS is also a quality piece. I was super impressed with the construction and welds. Havent installed it yet, but i am confident that it will fit, no issues.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT

Thank you, good to know... they were the only ones putting the bigger Vibrant 7830 over everyone else that put the smaller 7530 cat...... wonder what happened
Did you contact them?