GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are carbon fiber mirrors actually lighter

noluck289

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Mk7 gti
Very stupid question but I love the look of carbon fiber mirror caps. The problem is, from what I can tell, they’re just regular mirrors coated in a layer of carbon fiber which would technically make them heavier I think. Again sorry for the stupid post i’m just curious.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
There are definitely companies out there making real CF mirror/caps. And those ?might be lighter? but I cant imagine by much and the bulk of the weight is likely the mirror itself and the motor.
If you are looking to save weight though you're looking in the wrong place.
Wheels,tires, brakes( unsprung weight) are going to have the biggest noticeable impact when reducing weight are are likely the "easiest" parts to swap. Lightweight options aren't cheap though. And be careful about just dropping lots of weight in random places. Weight distribution matters.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You could save more weight by taking a shit before you step into your car.

noluck289

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Mk7 gti
thanks everyone for the response. It’s less about the weight saving more about the looks, but I would prefer to save weight in the process because why not. Does anyone know of the companies making the real ones. Again thank you

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
thanks everyone for the response. It’s less about the weight saving more about the looks, but I would prefer to save weight in the process because why not. Does anyone know of the companies making the real ones. Again thank you
As a rule of thumb dry carbon is 70% lighter than steel, 40% lighter than aluminum, and 15% lighter than fiberglass. Wet laid carbon is more of a crapshoot but never as light as a dry carbon (but also nowhere near as expensive). This is why large parts are made from CF to save weight.

The mirror caps on this car are made from plastic. Carbon fiber (which if you want to break it down is essentially a fiber suspended in epoxy, a plastic) will not save weight over plastic. Will it be stronger? Sure. Does strength matter for that part? Of course not.

It's a strictly visual upgrade. If you really are worried about weight, leave the plastic caps alone.

Having said all of that.

https://premiumdeutschcarbon.com/product/mk7-7-5-side-mirror-replacement-caps/

Last edited:

noluck289

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Mk7 gti
As a rule of thumb dry carbon is 70% lighter than steel, 40% lighter than aluminum, and 15% lighter than fiberglass. Wet laid carbon is more of a crapshoot but never as light as a dry carbon (but also nowhere near as expensive). This is why large parts are made from CF to save weight.

The mirror caps on this car are made from plastic. Carbon fiber (which if you want to break it down is essentially a fiber suspended in epoxy, a plastic) will not save weight over plastic. Will it be stronger? Sure. Does strength matter for that part? Of course not.

It's a strictly visual upgrade. If you really are worried about weight, leave the plastic caps alone.

Having said all of that.

https://premiumdeutschcarbon.com/product/mk7-7-5-side-mirror-replacement-caps/
Thank you so much, I appreciate it

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
If you want to blow a big wad there are oem carbon fiber mirror caps from Canada. Supposedly real carbon fiber not sure if dry or wet.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

Look on eBay.