GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AR Giulia Ti Sport...Thoughts?

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Randomly got obsessed with the Giulia last night. I'd love to get into a quadrifoglio but that's a pipe dream at this point. Thoughts on the Ti Sport?

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Everything I've read says it drives like a dream. Faster than you'd think, and great handling. Infotainment leaves a lot to be desired. Alfa reliability is a little scary, though I haven't heard many horror stories about these, with the exception of some early builds

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Everything I've read says it drives like a dream. Faster than you'd think, and great handling. Infotainment leaves a lot to be desired. Alfa reliability is a little scary, though I haven't heard many horror stories about these, with the exception of some early builds
that's what I've been reading as well. kind of tempted to trade for one but i'd give up manual transmission and the practicality of having a hatchback.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
that's what I've been reading as well. kind of tempted to trade for one but i'd give up manual transmission and the practicality of having a hatchback.

I came close to buying one, and grew up in an Alfa house as a kid, but I just didn't want a car that big and really wanted a hatch.

And if you think GTI resale value is bad.... holly cow, near luxury sedans, and Alfas in particular are terrible.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I parked next to a guy with a pretty Stelvio a few weeks ago. I didn't know enough to recognize if it was a QV or a four banger, but I still complimented him on it. I said 'nice car, do you like it?' and his response made me chuckle, it was succinct. 'No.'

He said it actually handles poorly, has cheap interior bits, mentioned the infotainment being bad and said he just generally misses his previous X5. He also mentioned that a friend has the QV version, his was a ti model, and that it's been in the shop a lot, but his has been pretty reliable.

I grew up with Fiats and Lancias, so I'd love to have an Alfa, but I think I'll wait for them to get their act together a little better before trying one. Plus they're all automatics, which rules out the current ones for me anyway.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I parked next to a guy with a pretty Stelvio a few weeks ago. I didn't know enough to recognize if it was a QV or a four banger, but I still complimented him on it. I said 'nice car, do you like it?' and his response made me chuckle, it was succinct. 'No.'

He said it actually handles poorly, has cheap interior bits, mentioned the infotainment being bad and said he just generally misses his previous X5. He also mentioned that a friend has the QV version, his was a ti model, and that it's been in the shop a lot, but his has been pretty reliable.

I grew up with Fiats and Lancias, so I'd love to have an Alfa, but I think I'll wait for them to get their act together a little better before trying one. Plus they're all automatics, which rules out the current ones for me anyway.

I want this.

alfa-romeo-giulietta-digitally-redesigned-with-tonale-styling-wont-happen-143015-7.jpg

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti

Yup - Same quirks I've been reading about the Giulia's as far as crappy infotainment goes. QV's are out of the picture - I'd rather put that money towards a pcar. I hear you on the AT thought, it's unfortunate that, that's the way the industry's going. The Giulia generally receives good reviews though and long term reliability seems to be pretty decent as well.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Is it bad that I think it would be cool to find a wrecked one and do a restomod of a cheap Series 3 spider?

Imagine the drivetrain and brakes from a Guilia in an old Spider.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Is it bad that I think it would be cool to find a wrecked one and do a restomod of a cheap Series 3 spider?

Imagine the drivetrain and brakes from a Guilia in an old Spider.
Funny, running an errand this afternoon a pretty nice boat tail blew past me and zigged through traffic.

The gear shift location of those always cracks me up. Who else but Italians would have a shifter coming out of the dash? Reminds me of my dad's Pantera with the sideways radio.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I did think about one for a hot second. I saw one with a bodykit, lowered, and some larger wheels...its a really good looking car. There are a number of basic used ones for around 25k with some reasonably low miles. The base engine is 280 and 306tq...which don't seem too bad.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion

Alfa get their act together? Haven’t they been the justifiable butt of reliability jokes for decades? Doubt they will get their act together any time soon and I question their commitment to the US unless they get more sales or models.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
A hot Mito would be awesome here too, but for some reason they are determined to make Alfa more of a near luxury/sport brand. They tried to make Fiat the practical and sporty brand.

I knew they'd screw up the US return when the Alfa/Mazda roadster was canceled and became the Fiata instead. Imagine Alfa body work, the 1.8l out of the 4C and Miata chassis. They wouldn't have been able to make enough of them to keep up with demand. 4C was cool, but too expensive.