GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR vs EQT

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
Late to the thread, but any tuner who doesn't use an AP was immediately checked off my list when I was searching for a tune. I went EQT and also tried 5150. I bounce between the tunes depending on what I'm feeling that day.
Car to elaborate what the difference is? I have EQT stage 1 but never heard of 5150

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Car to elaborate what the difference is? I have EQT stage 1 but never heard of 5150

They're just another good tuner.

Let me break it down.

A tuner starts putting out some good tunes, people start talking about how awesome the tunes are, tuner is overwhelmed with customers and custom tune requests, customer service slips, you see threads pop-up of how terrible the tuner is, then everyone moves on to another it tuner of the year. Rinse and repeat.

At the end of the day, their are several very reputable AP tuners out there, all got overwhelmed at some point, all have bounced back pretty well and offer good tunes.

Choosing which one is a matter of who offers a tune for the setup you have if looking OTS or who has availability for a custom tune. Being local is ideal for custom tunes, though remote works too.

I use EQT because their OTS stage tunes are solid and they make revisions available for $25. As long as you check your spam folder, you get your files quickly. No matter what I do, their emails with attachments always go to my spam.

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
I
They're just another good tuner.

Let me break it down.

A tuner starts putting out some good tunes, people start talking about how awesome the tunes are, tuner is overwhelmed with customers and custom tune requests, customer service slips, you see threads pop-up of how terrible the tuner is, then everyone moves on to another it tuner of the year. Rinse and repeat.

At the end of the day, their are several very reputable AP tuners out there, all got overwhelmed at some point, all have bounced back pretty well and offer good tunes.

Choosing which one is a matter of who offers a tune for the setup you have if looking OTS or who has availability for a custom tune. Being local is ideal for custom tunes, though remote works too.

I use EQT because their OTS stage tunes are solid and they make revisions available for $25. As long as you check your spam folder, you get your files quickly. No matter what I do, their emails with attachments always go to my spam.
Wasn't implying that I'm unhappy with EQT, it's an amazing tune. I was just wondering what's different about the other tune is all

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I saw something from 5150 that made it so obvious he was really sour about EQTs success. I can't seem to find it anymore, but it made me decide to avoid them for good.

Sneeky I could consider, but not 5150.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I saw something from 5150 that made it so obvious he was really sour about EQTs success. I can't seem to find it anymore, but it made me decide to avoid them for good.

Sneeky I could consider, but not 5150.

EQT seems to have been able to bring in extra staff and do a pretty good job keeping up with demand. I think some of the other tuners didn't scale up as well and suffered a little, but I still think they all put out good tunes.

bradm2000

Car(s)
2015 GTI
I don't think APR offers a warranty on stg 2.

Whether the dealer/VW cover a warranty claim on a tuned car is largely up to the dealer and what type of failure it was. Water pump? Most have been covered. Broken transmission, you're probably on your own. Crank walk on stock clutch, you might get lucky. Crank walk on aftermarket clutch, probably not.
I had to replace my motor due to getting gas in my gas tank and I received a warranty on the car for a year even though I have the stg 2 tube and they are aware but your probably right it’s probably just through the dealership since that apr dealer is at a VW dealership

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry to bump and old thread but I'm trying to gather as much info as possible. I just recently started the E-Tune process with EQT for my Alltrack. I'm currently running APR's DSG tune and when I went to flash the EQT DSG tune I was given a warning that I should only flash on top of either Cobb's DSG tune, or the factory DSG tune. Has anyone attempted flashing over the APR DSG tune?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Where the heck is the factory tune? I just got an AP and am playing around with Cobb's tunes. I don't see an option to get your stock tune back. There only is a "simulated stock". Does the factory tune get re-uploaded when you uninstall the AP?

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Sorry to bump and old thread but I'm trying to gather as much info as possible. I just recently started the E-Tune process with EQT for my Alltrack. I'm currently running APR's DSG tune and when I went to flash the EQT DSG tune I was given a warning that I should only flash on top of either Cobb's DSG tune, or the factory DSG tune. Has anyone attempted flashing over the APR DSG tune?
pretty sure the guidance is to flash back to stock on either ECU or TCU other tuner tunes BEFORE you flash new EQT tune (or any other tune for that matter). With APR that kind of sucks cause as you are probably aware that will require a trip to your APR dealer.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Where the heck is the factory tune? I just got an AP and am playing around with Cobb's tunes. I don't see an option to get your stock tune back. There only is a "simulated stock". Does the factory tune get re-uploaded when you uninstall the AP?
yes, when you unmarry the AP it will flash the stock tune it thinks is correct for your car.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
pretty sure the guidance is to flash back to stock on either ECU or TCU other tuner tunes BEFORE you flash new EQT tune (or any other tune for that matter). With APR that kind of sucks cause as you are probably aware that will require a trip to your APR dealer.

I successfully flashed the EQT ECU tune over my existing Unitronic tune, but I also didn't get the same warning I did when I went to flash the DSG tune. The only warning I got when flashing the ECU was cautioning me about third party files.

That aside are you saying I can't get my TCU reflashed to stock at my VW dealership?