GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR vs EQT

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I will be perfectly honest. I have been talking to Ed at EQT today, asking questions trying to figure out if his tune will help me. He hasn't been super friendly and hasn't tried to sell me his product whatsoever. I feel like I am annoying him. Maybe he's having a bad day but not inspiring...

He is unbelievably busy. Probably doesn't have time for free diagnostic help that may or may not result in a sale. You'll need to diagnose your problem another way. Then choose a tuner.

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
First things first, you really need to capture the issue on a datalog before anyone can really troubleshoot that, I think. It could be any number of things.....tuning issue or maybe even a hardware issue.

Post up some logs either way and I'll take a look. I would just make a new thread
Can you PM me what to log? I am very new to logging. I took one today on Eds suggestion looking at the knock sensors.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I have never used VCDS, so I'm not really sure what exact is available or how to set it up honestly. Boost, AFR, knock cyl 1-4, fuel rail pressure, RPM is where I'd start at a minimum.

I guess that is one big advantage of Cobb or similar too...datalogging. I have Ecutek but it's very similar in logging department. Right now I'm logging something like 50 parameters and the update rate is still 12-13hz, plenty of resolution.

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
Just log all the time then. 😂
I wish I could but I have to have my laptop and ross tech in the car hooked up and for one my laptop doens't last all day and thats a TON of money sitting in my passenger seat hahaha

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Speaking of how busy they are at EQT...tons of people got emails last night late at night. I got my updated tune at 3:41am, but I guess that'd be 12:41 their time.

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG
Speaking of how busy they are at EQT...tons of people got emails last night late at night. I got my updated tune at 3:41am, but I guess that'd be 12:41 their time.
I was thinking I wouldn't get it yesterday, but mine came through at 9:49 CST, so earlier there, but I was surprised to see it come through that late. Immediately had to flash and drive.

bradm2000

Car(s)
2015 GTI
APR does offer a warranty and got it CARB approved though.

No one else has done that to my knowledge.

So it is a good option if you have to worry about smog or warranty.
I am currently under warranty on APR stage 2 after engine repair so makes me wonder how negotiable their warranty is from the start

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I am currently under warranty on APR stage 2 after engine repair so makes me wonder how negotiable their warranty is from the start

I don't think APR offers a warranty on stg 2.

Whether the dealer/VW cover a warranty claim on a tuned car is largely up to the dealer and what type of failure it was. Water pump? Most have been covered. Broken transmission, you're probably on your own. Crank walk on stock clutch, you might get lucky. Crank walk on aftermarket clutch, probably not.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Late to the thread, but any tuner who doesn't use an AP was immediately checked off my list when I was searching for a tune. I went EQT and also tried 5150. I bounce between the tunes depending on what I'm feeling that day.