GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR vs EQT

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Gotcha.

At first, I would have said that APR was the way to go from a cost perspective on a Stage 1, since you have to buy the AccessPort. Now that EQT is including their base map with the purchase though, the cost is around $50 between the two. I'd say it's a toss up. Go with whichever one you are more comfortable with. I'm leaning towards EQT because I live in a town that has no tuners. I have to drive to a city to find an APR dealer. That makes the idea of a home-tune very attractive.

Toss up if you stay on stage 1. But with the AP you can get other stages without having to go to an APR dealer every time you want to change the tune.

Bievahh

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
Hey guys, gonna get my first tune asap. Have it narrowed down between Unitronic stage 1+ and Eqt+AP. Any opinions on it? I'm assuming Uni is pretty similar to APR

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Hey guys, gonna get my first tune asap. Have it narrowed down between Unitronic stage 1+ and Eqt+AP. Any opinions on it? I'm assuming Uni is pretty similar to APR

I vote for EQT. I'm finishing up my protune with them and it feels great. Very smooth and powerful. I’ve heard nothing but good things about their flash tunes as well. That being said Unitronic is also popular around here and they would be my choice if I was going to do a tune without an AP.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
@anotero just switched from Uni to EQT and he's happy he did.

I've never had Uni stage 1+ or EQT stage 1. Had Uni stage 1, stage 2, and now EQT stage 2. I like EQT stage 2 better than Uni stage 2. Throttle response is better, turbo spools up sooner, and I just think EQT utilizes the fact that our cars are forced induction better than Unitronic.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Can anyone comment on having the kickdown option disabled for the EQT tune? Debating whether I want that feature or not.

AmalgamGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Can anyone comment on having the kickdown option disabled for the EQT tune? Debating whether I want that feature or not.
I like it, because when I'm driving it casually, I'm in D mode, and I want it to kick down and upshift on its own as EQT intends it to, but if I'm driving not-so-casually, then I want to control what gear I'm in, so I'll be in M mode, and I don't want it to interfere with gear selection.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I like it, because when I'm driving it casually, I'm in D mode, and I want it to kick down and upshift on its own as EQT intends it to, but if I'm driving not-so-casually, then I want to control what gear I'm in, so I'll be in M mode, and I don't want it to interfere with gear selection.

How does it behave if you get too low RPM? Can you actually stall the engine if you don't downshift?

E90 Skye

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e36 M3, MK7 GTI PP
APR Stage 1 is down to 629$. Was looking to see if anyone addressed this earlier but didn't find a clear answer...
I heard APR's stage 1 tune updated map is down on torque and overall power but makes a more linear power curve and theoretically will be less harmful to the stock components. I like the idea of a linear power climb as before the GTI I was mainly a non boosted inline 6 driver (older BMWs - current project car is an e36 m3). Anybody feel the EQT tune loses steam after 5k revs? From what I gathered from their dyno charts is they have the big torque punch dialed in but may be losing some power when you wring it out (which admittedly for almost everyone is a better setup as not many push for late peak power when low rev peak torque is more butt dyno friendly)

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
APR Stage 1 is down to 629$. Was looking to see if anyone addressed this earlier but didn't find a clear answer...
I heard APR's stage 1 tune updated map is down on torque and overall power but makes a more linear power curve and theoretically will be less harmful to the stock components. I like the idea of a linear power climb as before the GTI I was mainly a non boosted inline 6 driver (older BMWs - current project car is an e36 m3). Anybody feel the EQT tune loses steam after 5k revs? From what I gathered from their dyno charts is they have the big torque punch dialed in but may be losing some power when you wring it out (which admittedly for almost everyone is a better setup as not many push for late peak power when low rev peak torque is more butt dyno friendly)

If you are concerned about protecting your stock components the EQT tune is the better choice.

All IS20 tunes run out of steam at the upper part of the rev range, however I have not heard of anyone specifically complaining about the EQT tune nosing over.

ck23

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R (DSG) - Lapiz
Gotcha.

At first, I would have said that APR was the way to go from a cost perspective on a Stage 1, since you have to buy the AccessPort. Now that EQT is including their base map with the purchase though, the cost is around $50 between the two. I'd say it's a toss up. Go with whichever one you are more comfortable with. I'm leaning towards EQT because I live in a town that has no tuners. I have to drive to a city to find an APR dealer. That makes the idea of a home-tune very attractive.

Thanks for the feedback. As you mentioned, I think it's a toss up in a lot of ways. With the situation you are referencing, I have a great local APR tuner, always willing to help and offers outstanding customer service.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Do you drive in Manual?

No DSG, and I apologize for my ignorance here, but is the kick-down referring to the down automatic downshift in low RPMs or full throttle? I was thinking it was referring to the downshift in low RPMs and thus my question of whether the car could stall if, for example, I do not upshift at low RPM.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
No DSG, and I apologize for my ignorance here, but is the kick-down referring to the down automatic downshift in low RPMs or full throttle? I was thinking it was referring to the downshift in low RPMs and thus my question of whether the car could stall if, for example, I do not upshift at low RPM.

Kick down is for WOT.