GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Tunes - Denso IKH24 Spark Plug Notice

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Found some interesting information today over at the 'tex, apparently this is APR's latest statement regarding their tunes:

Source: http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb.html

Spark Plug Notice: APR’s performance software increases output substantially and as such, APR recommends upgrading the engine’s spark plugs to Denso IKH24 with a .024” +/- .002” gap at all stages. If the vehicle is used for any form of racing, or extended wide-open-throttle sprints on the Autobahn, APR highly recommends upgrading the plugs for engine longevity and safety. On engines with an upgraded turbocharger, the spark plugs are required.

Where to buy?

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VII--2.0T_Gen3/Engine/Ignition/Spark_Plugs/ES2996266/

Figured I'd share.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Driver Motorsport also wants you to have one step colder

I thought Bronson wasn't tuning anymore? Or maybe just not the MK7 due to the ECU not being able to be read.

Kinda makes the handheld flashers he used useless when you can't read the ECU.

djlace91

Ain't that something. APR says their tunes are designed to not have to change anything. Then people say their clutches aren't holding up at Stage 2 and some at stage 1 and now you have to change spark plugs for the safety of your engine...it's laughable.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Ain't that something. APR says their tunes are designed to not have to change anything. Then people say their clutches aren't holding up at Stage 2 and some at stage 1 and now you have to change spark plugs for the safety of your engine...it's laughable.

It's been like that since 2008.5+ actually, when the Gen1 2.0T TSI came out.

APR never came out and said a new clutch was required or even might be required, but Stage 2 owners were slowly finding out on their own unfortunately

Gotta pay to play

DanielSL

Ready to race!
What is laughable is anyone being even remotely surprised that you would need to change plugs.
Turbocharging, supercharging, nitrous oxide; hell, even re-jetting a carburetor requires changing spark plug temperature ranges and gaps for the engine to perform at optimal.
Anyone who doesn't know this, or understand this has absolutely no place around modified cars. Pay to play is the easy way of putting it. The old adage is speed costs money; how fast do you want to go? And it is 110% accurate across any automotive type and class.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I think some newcomers to VW also don't comprehend just how much additional power these tunes are making. I've owned cars where changing the entire exhaust system (headers to tailpipe), adjusting fuel trims, and swapping out intake and intake manifolds, netted less gain then just a JB1 gets you on this car.

Davey Jones

Ready to race!

But APR isn't the only tuner suggesting this.....

You really think its laughable that they are suggesting a $35 upgrade to ensure better engine life?? You'd rather they said nothing? And how are you going to blame the clutches on APR? Any tune that is producing more power will wear the clutch out faster.

jmnj1

Passed Driver's Ed
How long do these Denso plugs last?

How often should they be changed? Anyone know?

I hope it's not every 10k like the plugs that were recommended for my MkVI with K04.:(

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion

Yeah that tends to happen when the tunes make over 400TQ lol. I love how people are mad that the tunes make so much power that other things have to be tended to. Because as if changing spark plugs is a big deal...

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Ever seen a Focus ST "Stage 2" tune? The gains are laughable compared to the EA888 platform.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
How long do these Denso plugs last?

How often should they be changed? Anyone know?

I hope it's not every 10k like the plugs that were recommended for my MkVI with K04.:(

Good questions. Especially when the term longevity is being used.
Does anyone know when these Denso's where released this will indicate what kind of term that anyone could have done testing on.