GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Tuned Golf 1.8TSI not building boost

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've looked at other threads/forums and most had wastegate problems where it would blow off boost prematurely, or a mostly separate issue. If maybe I missed a thread relating to this I apologize, Admin please direct me to that.

Recently after fueling, my car (2016 APR stage 1 91oct tuned Golf 1.8TSI 5SP) threw a CEL and EPC light. I don't have a code reader to check what specific codes it is. It wouldn't build boost at all, so I'm essentially driving naturally aspirated. It didn't seem like any plumbing came loose, and no wastegate actuator rattle or anything like that.

I'm planning on bringing my car into the dealership as I'm still under the powertrain warranty (2016 Golf: 5yr/100k, I'm at 92k km) and not very tech savvy. Now my concern is with my tune. Obviously, this is a dice we roll when we tune under warranty. If I have to pay for repairs so be it, but my question is this:

1) Would my APR tune be erased if they have to dig into the ECU to diagnose the EPC or replace the turbo?

2) Should I tell them I have a tune to prevent it being erased?

If I have to replace the turbo (out of pocket with voided warranty) I would probably go IS20 anyways, so that's not as big a deal. I just don't want to have to buy a new turbo and lose my ~$900CAD tune as well.

any help of clarification is much appreciated!

-Connor

1/2, As soon as they plug it in, you're going to be TD1'd and kiss your warranty repair goodbye.

If they reflash back to stock, then yes, your APR tune will be overwritten.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
They won't flash the car unless they absolutely have to for a problem specifically related to it, which is extremely rare (and you'll probably know about it beforehand). The way your car gets TD1'd is by someone looking at the flash counter and seeing it be different than it should be.

Twomstone

Well my OBDEleven came in, got it connected and scanned. Lo and behold looks like the ominous P334A.
  • Actual Position: 56.24%
  • Specified Position: 95.00%

Charge Air Pressure Control Valve Voltage
  • Position closed: 3.9026V
  • Position open: 0.5701V

TurboCharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit
P256300

From what I could gather from other threads/forums, it seems like it's actually the solenoid that fails, and since that can't be separately repaired it requires a new turbo. Also for the P256300 code, I would guess that's reflecting the same problem. Looks like I'm in the market for new turbo, but seeing what you guys think before I take the next step.

Thoughts?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
The actuator can be replaced. You can buy a new actuator from Turbo Parts Canada. I don't think a dealer will do this for you though. To get to the actuator to replace, you're half way to a turbo swap. You can 100% run your APR flash with a IS20 turbo. It may be best to just slap a IS20 in and call it a day. You don't even immediately need a tune.
Zumble said all that is needed I would find a used is20, put up a WTB ad.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It won't hurt the car to run an IS12 tune with an IS20, it's just an awkward setup leaving a lot on the table. It's only $300 to upgrade to the IS20 tune, and that's well worth it to me. Likely the cheapest route is to find a used IS12, I don't know how much they go for because people rarely put them up for sale, but you could probably find one for much cheaper than an IS20 because the reason nobody puts them up for sale is because nobody expects anyone else to want to buy one. But also that option sounds boring in comparison to getting an IS20, which would only be $500-700 USD all said and done (including tune).

Last edited:

Twomstone

Thanks all. I think if I'm going through the hassle of replacing a turbo I might as well upgrade, but good to know there's probably a few IS12's out there if I feel the need (y). I saw a few IS20 ads that hadn't sold yet but they were in Cali/Texas which would kill me on shipping. I'll update with a pic once I've got the old one out on the swap.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I have a wastegate issue. Excuse to go is38. Especially if you can do the work yourself, which I can't