GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR tune IS38 with stock downpipe

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Damn really? So i have to put stock turbo back on as well? Where did you get this info?
You have to flash to the stock file. You can run a swapped turbo on the stock file. Just don't beat on it, to set readiness.

CA is now a visual inspection, which with oem parts you should be fine. And and ODB2 ECU scan where they now check for tunes via the CAL ID and Calibration number.

So you'd either have to flash APR stage 1, or stock to pass the ecu scan portion and only after you set all your smog readiness monitors.

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
You have to flash to the stock file. You can run a swapped turbo on the stock file. Just don't beat on it, to set readiness.

CA is now a visual inspection, which with oem parts you should be fine. And and ODB2 ECU scan where they now check for tunes via the CAL ID and Calibration number.

So you'd either have to flash APR stage 1, or stock to pass the ecu scan portion and only after you set all your smog readiness monitors.
So if i put stock downpipe back and flash to stock file then drive the car for a couple weeks before doing smog i would be able to pass?

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
So if i put stock downpipe back and flash to stock file then drive the car for a couple weeks before doing smog i would be able to pass?
I did this successfully a little while ago. Of course I'm stock turbo, not sure about the practicality of running a different turbo on a stock tune long enough to get readiness.

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
So long as you don't have any other non CARB approved mods that they check for. Intake is a big one.
Ok sounds good. Thanks for your help man. It sucks to modify cars now in CA..such BS

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
Hi.
did this all work out for you? I’ve got a 15 I bought in late 14 that I just registered so I think it’s next year. Right now I’ve got some readiness items to clean up in the next year but have been thinking about an IS38 or such but I don’t want to swap too much above what I already need to do to pass so I think i may actually be done. yes california is damn tricky!

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
I just had IS38 from a S3 swapped on my GTI, there is no IS38 with stock downpipe file from APR only with aftermarket downpipe (low/high torque and pop & bang files).

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
Hi.
did this all work out for you? I’ve got a 15 I bought in late 14 that I just registered so I think it’s next year. Right now I’ve got some readiness items to clean up in the next year but have been thinking about an IS38 or such but I don’t want to swap too much above what I already need to do to pass so I think i may actually be done. yes california is damn tricky!
I realized that i dont need to pass smog for another few years. I believe smog is after 8 years and my car is a 2017. I havent done anything yet

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
I just had IS38 from a S3 swapped on my GTI, there is no IS38 with stock downpipe file from APR only with aftermarket downpipe (low/high torque and pop & bang files).
I spoke directly with Arin at APR and he said that there is a is38 stock downpipe file available but this wont allow us to pass smog in CA. You would have to put it on the stock file and drive around for few days before smog check

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
The only CARB approved tunes are the APR stage 1 tunes for each car, so 1.8T, GTI, and R. Stage 1 is stock turbo. You'll have to flash back to stock and set your readiness monitors (50-100 miles of driving normal does it) to pass if going beyond stage 1 stock turbo tunes.

We have a visual portion too, so you'll need stock DP installed to pass, along with stock Intake unless you have a CARB sticker for your CIA. IC/FMIC should be fine regardless from my research. Catchcans are iffy, but should be okay. Technically you can't modify the stock PCV system per CARB, but I don't think i've heard of people failing for CC setups.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I spoke directly with Arin at APR and he said that there is a is38 stock downpipe file available but this wont allow us to pass smog in CA. You would have to put it on the stock file and drive around for few days before smog check
Yes, I remember that APR used to offer a stock GTI downpipe IS38 tune.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
thanks for checking with Arin, I remember seeing that file, too, back in 2018, though. The authorized APR dealer in Huntington beach couldn't find one!

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
Arin confirmed in the DTR thread they do have a OE downpipe file, but it's v1.xx and wasn't part of the tune revamps rolled out in 2019. I really like the improvements it brought to the Stage 1 files. Makes me wonder the consequences of running the current files on a OE DP car...especially if you run a low-torque option.

Obviously it wouldn't make advertised power, but that goes without saying w/o and aftermarket DP. I'm not worried about that. Just want a plug and play IS38 setup on the most current files available and stay in the APR ecosystem.