GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR STG1 with catted DP - emissions - RI

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S
Yo!

I've searched, and trust me, I get a million different answers.

Simple as this - I have stage 1 APR tune, MT. I'd like to add a catted DP for power gains and be able to pass emissions with it in. Will this work/pass? Also, what are the downfalls/failures/things to be aware of by not tuning to new parts, as APR stg2 is out like a fat kid in dodgeball. Tuner said i could buy an accessport and we could go that route, but im not sure thats the route I'd like to go. Dailty driven, btw.

Thanks in advance!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm not familiar enough with all the aftermarket DP 's to answer your question but your tuner is correct about getting an Access Port. Then get an EQT tune.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Stay with your Stage 1 tune until you get a bigger turbo. The difference from APR1 to Stage 2 is barely noticeable and not worth the $$$ and all the trouble that comes with it.

As for passing an emissions test: yes, if you have a j-spacer (to trick the O2 sensor) and your state does not do a visual inspection. If your state does do a visual inspection, you need your stock downpipe.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Stay with your Stage 1 tune until you get a bigger turbo. The difference from APR1 to Stage 2 is barely noticeable and not worth the $$$ and all the trouble that comes with it.

As for passing an emissions test: yes, if you have a j-spacer (to trick the O2 sensor) and your state does not do a visual inspection. If your state does do a visual inspection, you need your stock downpipe.
^^^This.

My previous car was a Mk6 Golf R. I initially had the car with a United Motorsport Stage 1 Tune and HPA Downpipe. I loved the setup and it was headache free. I then decided to go to Stage 2+, added a HPFP, additional cash for the tune etc... And honestly it wasn't worth it, the clutch started to slip almost immediately - all for a few extra horse. I'm itching for another downpipe now, I miss the sound of it, that's honestly the only reason why I'd get one now - I'm on a Uni Stage 1 tune and the car is pretty quick, I'm picking up a used AWE Track exhaust this weekend in hopes of satisfying my noise requirements. I talked to Uni about adding a DP on my stage one tune they said no dice.

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S

Well, I just went as far as to read the entire, (most of) the manual of Rhode Island inspections and they do visual checks, but I've got to believe that some people will check much harder than others.

https://downloads.regulations.gov/EPA-R01-OAR-2009-0436-0019/content.pdf - Here's the link if anyone is interested - OR - isn't thinking I'm doing my research! LOL

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S
^^^This.

My previous car was a Mk6 Golf R. I initially had the car with a United Motorsport Stage 1 Tune and HPA Downpipe. I loved the setup and it was headache free. I then decided to go to Stage 2+, added a HPFP, additional cash for the tune etc... And honestly it wasn't worth it, the clutch started to slip almost immediately - all for a few extra horse. I'm itching for another downpipe now, I miss the sound of it, that's honestly the only reason why I'd get one now - I'm on a Uni Stage 1 tune and the car is pretty quick, I'm picking up a used AWE Track exhaust this weekend in hopes of satisfying my noise requirements. I talked to Uni about adding a DP on my stage one tune they said no dice.
This makes a ton of sense, too. I was looking for the power, not necessarily the sound. I would keep the stock cat back, (possibly nicer exhaust tips) but I'm not trying to go crazy, I just want to be at max capacity for stage 1.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Brah, I've been in that same boat as you. I dealt with nightmares on my Mk6 when I went catless DP and trying to deal with inspection. I thought about going catted but heard, you're still not going to pass just because it's catted because they're high flow and it's still not stock emission restriction that they're looking for.

At that point, whether you're catted or not is irrelevant, you still need to deal with the situation identically. Either you get a spacer that works for you and they do not do a visual inspection, OR and the safest but most PITA route, you swap stock DP on each time and revert back to stock tune. I did the latter of the two with my mk6 K04 GTI. It costed money because I made the dumb decision to get rid of my stock DP (well mostly my mother forced me to get rid of it out of her garage). I would go to a shop, they would swap on a stock DP they had handy. I turn back stock tune, get inspected, go back to shop and they put back on aftermarket. It was costly.

From what I hear on this car, swapping the DP yourself isn't all that tricky. You would definitely want a friend to help but it's a heck of a lot easier to do than on the mk6. If you don't mind spending up to an hour per each swap (worth it IMO vs the cost for shop to do it), every 2 years or whatever your state requires, then that is the safest route IMO. If I ever go DP on this car which I really want to considering the power gains, no way in hell am I getting rid of the stock DP this time. I shall keep it and I shall be swapping it each time inspection comes up, lol.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT

I second this also. Sorry to keep making the mk6 comparisons but I just left that community to the mk7 so it's my VW experience. I went Stg2 from 1 and the difference wasn't worth all the extra headaches such as requiring an intake and DP. The gains weren't all that apparent and shortly after my turbo blew (at 33k miles!). This led me into upgrading the turbo to K04 which at that point I was basically ready for except for requiring Intercooler upgrade and drop-in disc as well. That all was great, except again, inspection time came, yet with K04 it was worth the headaches. Going from stg1 to 2, is no way worth the inspection headaches it comes with. Definitely go is38 if you decide to deal with inspection headaches. Instead, stick with stg1, crack open your muffle to get more noise, and stay away from DP modifications until you're ready for that route.