GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 vs Unitronic Stage 1+

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Going forward, I won't pay a "big name company" like APR/Uni for a tune. I suggest buying the OTS tunes from the Cobb tuners, because they're small businesses doing good work. I'm going EQT with my Alltrack.

On what tuning platform? I don't think Cobb offers 1.8 support.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Honestly, I didn't want to blow up my engine. It sounds crazy now but at the time and being a newb to the platform I erred on the side of caution. Oh well. You live, you learn.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Honestly, I didn't want to blow up my engine. It sounds crazy now but at the time and being a newb to the platform I erred on the side of caution. Oh well. You live, you learn.

Well many go Unitronic for this reason. Pretty sure Uni's tune has less boost requested than any other OTS tune. So you weren't wrong in your thought process.

I also went Uni for this same reason. And I also regret it, and would've gone APR instead but wasn't going to pay twice (even though I still hated the way my car drove, lol).

Just got rid of the car haha. Now that I know Cobb doesn't support the 1.8 ECUs, I'll just go APR 87 tune and run 89 octane lol

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well many go Unitronic for this reason. Pretty sure Uni's tune has less boost requested than any other OTS tune. So you weren't wrong in your thought process.

I also went Uni for this same reason. And I also regret it, and would've gone APR instead but wasn't going to pay twice (even though I still hated the way my car drove, lol).

Just got rid of the car haha. Now that I know Cobb doesn't support the 1.8 ECUs, I'll just go APR 87 tune and run 89 octane lol

If you're going to run 89 why not just get tuned for 89? Otherwise it's a waste to pay for higher octane.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'm not sure unitronic is actually safer though. Sure APR runs more boost, but I haven't seen a APR tune with correct fuel apply knock correction consistently. Meaning the APR tune doesn't knock. It runs more boost and there is more wear on the turbo, but how often are you flooring it really? The Uni tunes I've seen
If you're going to run 89 why not just get tuned for 89? Otherwise it's a waste to pay for higher octane.

Apr doesn't make an 89 tune.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I'm not sure unitronic is actually safer though. Sure APR runs more boost, but I haven't seen a APR tune with correct fuel apply knock correction consistently. Meaning the APR tune doesn't knock. It runs more boost and there is more wear on the turbo, but how often are you flooring it really? The Uni tunes I've seen

Apr doesn't make an 89 tune.

Agree - I've got the APR Plus (therefore 87 Oct stage 1 low torque), have logged for knock on some flat out runs and never detected any. As mentioned here, APR is heavy on boost (up to +7 psi even on the 87 tune) but is that really the worse option Vs what must be heavy timing advance on the Uni.

I've done plenty of experimentation with up to 93 gas logging with dragy to see if there were any performance gains and found none, so nowadays I just stick with 87 as it is tuned for.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Agree - I've got the APR Plus (therefore 87 Oct stage 1 low torque), have logged for knock on some flat out runs and never detected any. As mentioned here, APR is heavy on boost (up to +7 psi even on the 87 tune) but is that really the worse option Vs what must be heavy timing advance on the Uni.

I've done plenty of experimentation with up to 93 gas logging with dragy to see if there were any performance gains and found none, so nowadays I just stick with 87 as it is tuned for.
Is that the original version or the revised version 2.x ?