GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 vs Unitronic Stage 1+

baczuse

Passed Driver's Ed
I Like peoples opinions on what tune is better for a 2016 GTI with performance pack? My friend has a MK6 Gti and swears by the smooth power delivery of the APR stage 1 compared to unitronic.

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
I would just do a search for dyno comparisons. 99% of the members are going to say the better tune is the one they chose of the two. The more important question u should be asking yourself is do u want to install tune on ur own, or have to have a shop do it for u.

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
APR you have to pay for every flash.

You have to pay only to buy it once - any additional charge for labor or re-flashing is dependent on your APR dealer, not APR themselves.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
You have to pay only to buy it once - any additional charge for labor or re-flashing is dependent on your APR dealer, not APR themselves.

Yes and that can range from $30 to $100 for each visit, whereas Uniconnect+ is $150 flat fee.

baczuse

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the information. So has there been a problem in the past GTI versions with Unitronic. Also it seems the Unitronic stage 1+ produces more power then the APR tune, but is the Unitronic power delivery smoother?

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I thought 2016 wasnt available yet?

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the information. So has there been a problem in the past GTI versions with Unitronic. Also it seems the Unitronic stage 1+ produces more power then the APR tune, but is the Unitronic power delivery smoother?

I had a Uni tune (Stage 1+, then stage 2) on my mk6 GTI for about 20k miles and liked it a lot. It felt fairly linear and I didn't have any issues related to the tune.

I liked having the ability to switch tunes myself too.

(Edit) forgot to mention that having a dealer near you can be pretty convenient/important. So I'd factor that in.

Last edited:

Bawlti

Ready to race!
I only own a mk4 before my current mk7 and I kind of left the VW world between the 2, so I'm no expert.

From my perception, APR and Uni seem to have had fairly comparable numbers on previous generations. But it looks like there's a noticeable gap in low end torque on the mk7 platform.

I definitely like UniConnect, but APR seems to win the numbers war here. Uni mk7 tunes are often referred to as conservative. I don't do 1/4 mile drag and I don't track my car, so does that torque difference really make a difference in every day driving? I don't know.

Bawlti

Ready to race!
It is done just not released yet to the public. It is on some dealer cars.

It's not the first time you tease us with 2016 ECUs Uni solution. Glad to hear it's actually live on some dealer cars. That means it's coming soon to public. :)

Last edited:

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I'd also add that the Unitronic tune focuses more on timing and fuel/air ratio where as APR is more boost heavy. At Uni 1+ I rarely get above 21 PSI where APR can go above 26 from what I've seen on the forums. For reference at stock I was hitting 18-19 at wide open throttle measured with an analog gauge tapped at the manifold.

I should also add I got mine from ModdedEuros and flashed with the Uniconnect at home. Very happy with the entire transaction [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
I'd also add that the Unitronic tune focuses more on timing and fuel/air ratio where as APR is more boost heavy. At Uni 1+ I rarely get above 21 PSI where APR can go above 26 from what I've seen on the forums. For reference at stock I was hitting 18-19 at wide open throttle measured with an analog gauge tapped at the manifold.

I should also add I got mine from ModdedEuros and flashed with the Uniconnect at home. Very happy with the entire transaction [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you like it :)