GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 1 tune accidentally stacked on top of Neuspeed Power Module

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
Hey guys! Been awhile since I’ve posted (have an Alltrack instead of a GTI instead of a Sportwagen now!). Wondering if anyone might be able to help me with this situation:

I just picked up my 2017 VW Alltrack from precision Motorworks in Santa Clara and was Alarmed to find that they had installed the stage 1 tune I requested without first removing my neuspeed power module. I specifically asked them to remove it before they started the whole process, but apparently they misunderstood (they thought I was referring to my P3cars turbo gauge I have plugged into my OBD2 port) and left it in the whole time and test drove it with it stacked on top of the stage 1 tune. I insisted that they remove once they returned the car to me, which they did, however I am wondering if the tune is now calibrated incorrectly, as when they test drove the car with the module in, they said the power improvement was huge and it feels like a GTI but when I tried the car after they removed it, it didn’t feel much different than how it felt before I got the tune. Is it bad to have installed the tune on top of the neuspeed? I thought it was (hence why I asked them to remove it) however now I’m Wondering if I should have left it in since it almost seems like the tune already accounted for the Neuspeed and is now quite a bit shy without it. Do I need to have the whole tune installed again or is there anything I can do to fix this on my own?

Attachments

• C0C86509-6F37-481D-AB6A-B7AC1C0061AA.jpeg
    C0C86509-6F37-481D-AB6A-B7AC1C0061AA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
With the tune + Neuspeed stack is like a jb4 + a tune, you are pushing the car further than just the tune.
If it’s a canned tune like Apr, the values of the tune are standard (they don’t take in account any of your existing mods) it will be the same with or without the Neuspeed module….

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Tunes don't "calibrate", they just are what they are. Which tune did you get?

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
With the tune + Neuspeed stack is like a jb4 + a tune, you are pushing the car further than just the tune.
If it’s a canned tune like Apr, the values of the tune are standard (they don’t take in account any of your existing mods) it will be the same with or without the Neuspeed module….
Thanks for your reply. So in other words, normally stacking the two really pushes the car more, but with APR specifically, the neuspeed doesn’t have any effect.

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
Tunes don't "calibrate", they just are what they are. Which tune did you get?
Got it, ok that makes sense. I got the APR stage 1 91 octane tune. When I had my neuspeed I used to run it at +7 PSI for the most power but found that every now and then if I pushed the engine too much the ECU would “learn” and substantially cut back on the available power. I would then have to switch back to +5 PSI for awhile until it reset itself and then the power would come back.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Thanks for your reply. So in other words, normally stacking the two really pushes the car more, but with APR specifically, the neuspeed doesn’t have any effect.
The Neuspeed module will push the car further with APR, but it won't have any effect on the tune per-say. However, it won't push the car further in a safe way. At least when I had the APR Stage 1 91 octane tune, it was trying to run over 20psi of boost, so +7 to that would be way too much for an IS12. Most likely what would happen is the car will be pulling power on it's own, either through timing or something else, and in the end the Neuspeed Module won't have much of a net effect. I'm surprised you're saying the car feels the same as before it was tuned, APR stage 1 should be a big jump over even the Neuspeed Module, maybe it'll just take a day or two.

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
The Neuspeed module will push the car further with APR, but it won't have any effect on the tune per-say. However, it won't push the car further in a safe way. At least when I had the APR Stage 1 91 octane tune, it was trying to run over 20psi of boost, so +7 to that would be way too much for an IS12. Most likely what would happen is the car will be pulling power on it's own, either through timing or something else, and in the end the Neuspeed Module won't have much of a net effect. I'm surprised you're saying the car feels the same as before it was tuned, APR stage 1 should be a big jump over even the Neuspeed Module, maybe it'll just take a day or two.
Sure enough my ECU was pulling power from the stack — finally today after driving for awhile the power came back!! Feels great now 👍🏼

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
I was gonna say, normally when you stack a JB4 on top of a tune you usually only are able to get a few more psi and that is with some help with more fuel pressure bumping up the FOL... but I'm sure in your case it had to pull tons of timing/power when it was stacked, so now that you pulled it it adjusted back to good, you could have disconnected the battery for half hour to help reset its adaptation... Just as an aside, you said you ran the NPM in +7 mode and with shitty Cali 91 you really should have only have done that with a couple of gallons of e85 added, then it would have never had to pull timing so much in the first place and would have ripped pretty good.