GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 1 surge

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Very interesting. I'm def going to uninstall the APR software, and I'm 90% sure I'll switch to come combo of EQT \ Cobb. I've been reading a lot about them, and I like what I'm hearing.
The WG issue he is mentioning is a different kind of surge - that's real surge where you get boost back-flow through the turbo, you are talking about power surge w/r to pedal/throttle control.

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S
My APR tunes have been 100% fine over the years and the blips had an explanation and solution. Solved. Open waste gate would throw codes and go limp at times. Experienced that too. Turbo replaced. Answers are all over the place here. If the tune change changes the way you enjoy the car: great! Otherwise jump in another car with the same tune and see if it feels the same. Good luck dude

AsheToo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI Autobahn
The WG issue he is mentioning is a different kind of surge - that's real surge where you get boost back-flow through the turbo, you are talking about power surge w/r to pedal/throttle control.
I'm not clear on this. Seems like you're referring to overboost on the compressor side, which is more in the domain of a blow off valve than a wastegate. That said, I can see how funky or faulty wastegate control could cause the issues I've experienced.

Last edited:

AsheToo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI Autobahn
Funny story - when I got my Unitronic stage 1 tune I was convinvced something was wrong. Took it a shop and the owner/tech went for a ride with me. I'm going "SEE SEE" and he turns to me and says "Have you ever driven a tuned turbo car before?"...HAHAHAHHAAH..there was nothing wrong, just a steep toruqe curve on a tiny turbo.
I've driven, but not lived with, some tuned turbos, but they weren't tiny turbos like the IS20. I'm def not replacing the turbo even though the APR DTR setup looks compelling. I'm inclined to stay with a stock tune if EQT \ Cobb doesn't get me where I want to go and then get a 992 in a year or two when prices are a little less insane.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
From EQT website: https://eqtuning.com/collections/vw-audi/products/eqt-ecu-base-tune-update

dv surge.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Anyone with this issue, please send us a support ticket. We're looking into this, but need more data points on cars / ECU / scenarios it's actually affecting. Team is on it and is already collecting data.

support@goapr.com

Thank you.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

AsheToo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI Autobahn

Thanks for the info. I had the APR Stage 1 ECU and TCU tunes taken off 2 days ago (paid service fees of almost $200 to have them pulled), and I'm a little surprised at how strong the car still is with the factory tune and the only remaining mods are APR carbon fiber intake, intercooler, and exhaust - and no uncomfortable power surges.

I'm gonna roll like this for a while and then try an EQT \ Cobb AP Stage 1 to see how it behaves. Based on The EQT info you posted and linked, it sounds like this is not all in my head, and it's not supposed to be that way, and EQT has massaged their tune to correct for that problem.

Maybe EQT can be a little more nimble and proactive as a much smaller company that's still living on entrepreneurial spirit.

I wish the APR software was available through Cobb AP so I could toggle back and forth between OEM, APR, EQT, and even Cobb w/o the hassle and expense of going to my APR dealer to get it loaded and unloaded. I'd help them troubleshoot their build in a heartbeat if it didn't cost me time and money - my billable rate is $475 an hour is Arin wants to factor that into their dev budget.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the info. I had the APR Stage 1 ECU and TCU tunes taken off 2 days ago (paid service fees of almost $200 to have them pulled), and I'm a little surprised at how strong the car still is with the factory tune and the only remaining mods are APR carbon fiber intake, intercooler, and exhaust - and no uncomfortable power surges.

I'm gonna roll like this for a while and then try an EQT \ Cobb AP Stage 1 to see how it behaves. Based on The EQT info you posted and linked, it sounds like this is not all in my head, and it's not supposed to be that way, and EQT has massaged their tune to correct for that problem.

Maybe EQT can be a little more nimble and proactive as a much smaller company that's still living on entrepreneurial spirit.

I wish the APR software was available through Cobb AP so I could toggle back and forth between OEM, APR, EQT, and even Cobb w/o the hassle and expense of going to my APR dealer to get it loaded and unloaded. I'd help them troubleshoot their build in a heartbeat if it didn't cost me time and money - my billable rate is $475 an hour is Arin wants to factor that into their dev budget.
Did you talk to APR about this per Arin's message above? Just really need to log it and send it in, this isn't a huge time-spend. At $475/hour, I'm suprised your even typing this.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit

I'm not an EQT fanboy but their stage 2 tune not only fixed the surge but pulled harder than the APR tune.

But if I could go back, I would have stuck with the APR stage 1 low torque tune. I might still be on the stock clutch and not have to listen to the harsh cacophony the car makes with upgraded mounts and a SMF.

AsheToo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI Autobahn
Did you talk to APR about this per Arin's message above? Just really need to log it and send it in, this isn't a huge time-spend. At $475/hour, I'm suprised your even typing this.
It's not hard to spend time doing something I want to do. It's popularly known as "a pasttime" or "recreation." Some people play golf, some people go fishing, some people take a hike.

I enjoy goofing around with cars, and sometimes I enjoy interacting people with a shared interest. Contacting a vendor under the circumstances is a little more like work.

Arin has been great, and now he knows of the problem - I'm not sure I can give him any data points that I haven't posted here.

AsheToo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI Autobahn
I'm not an EQT fanboy but their stage 2 tune not only fixed the surge but pulled harder than the APR tune.

But if I could go back, I would have stuck with the APR stage 1 low torque tune. I might still be on the stock clutch and not have to listen to the harsh cacophony the car makes with upgraded mounts and a SMF.
If I do an EQT tune, I'll do stage 1, and EQT has already confirmed that stage 1 is the correct stage for me based on my modifications. Plus, I'll do a TCU tune for my DSG transmission. From everything I've read, DSGs handle increased power really well, and TCU tunes increase clutch clamping pressure, etc, which helps reduce clutch wear in the DSG. So I'm not really worried about buying a new clutch anytime soon.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It's not hard to spend time doing something I want to do. It's popularly known as "a pasttime" or "recreation." Some people play golf, some people go fishing, some people take a hike.

I enjoy goofing around with cars, and sometimes I enjoy interacting people with a shared interest. Contacting a vendor under the circumstances is a little more like work.

Arin has been great, and now he knows of the problem - I'm not sure I can give him any data points that I haven't posted here.
I didn't think emailing someone or submitting a support ticket was particularly time consuming or annoying considering you paid for something that isn't working well.

AsheToo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI Autobahn
I didn't think emailing someone or submitting a support ticket was particularly time consuming or annoying considering you paid for something that isn't working well.
Well, glad I can be of service - now you know.