GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 Low Torque (91) or Stage 1 (91) Tune?

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
My local VW dealer also is an APR vendor. Main reason I went with APR was because the dealer is a 15 minute drive from my house.

The tech. asked, low torque? high torque? Then repeated, high torque with a smile. I'm like, of course. If clutch goes, it goes. He said it wouldn't go that quickly but didn't really take his word for it. There is a reason they issued a low torque file. I'm well aware it can go and that depends on how hard you rip on the car. I'd like to think I'm a more conservative driver these days but even with that, it'll probably wear it quicker sooner than later.

If I can get by until next Winter, that'll be great because I won't be on it with my Winter tire setup and that gives me until next year to think about doing a clutch replacement :D

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
not related to OP but I am also with APR Stg1 low torque, with APR removing stage2 and downpipe in the lineup, does it even make sense to bump up to high torque file?

Or should I consider EQT or something if i want more power?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
From what I’ve gathered vwoa decides if something can be covered under warranty. It’s not the dealer to decide. Right?
The dealer pays for repairs and then gets reimbursed by VW. If they don't think it's going to get covered b/c the backup required will show something that will cause VW to deny the claim in a month when they file it, they aren't covering it. Dealers certainly can take risk and cover things for you but may eat it when they submit the claim.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The dealer pays for repairs and then gets reimbursed by VW. If they don't think it's going to get covered b/c the backup required will show something that will cause VW to deny the claim in a month when they file it, they aren't covering it. Dealers certainly can take risk and cover things for you but may eat it when they submit the claim.
No. Vw tells the dealer if it’ll be covered or not before a dealership tech or mechanic touches the car

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
not related to OP but I am also with APR Stg1 low torque, with APR removing stage2 and downpipe in the lineup, does it even make sense to bump up to high torque file?

Or should I consider EQT or something if i want more power?
Which octane tune do you have? If you've got the 87 Octane low torque, I think there's quite a bit to be gained going to a st1 93 high torque for example (plus intercooler would be a good idea). And it would only cost you a small reflashing fee versus spending hundreds for the Access port and EQT.

But if you've already got the 93 octane low torque and are finding it lacking.... the jump to high might not seem like enough improvement.

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
My local VW dealer also is an APR vendor. Main reason I went with APR was because the dealer is a 15 minute drive from my house.

The tech. asked, low torque? high torque? Then repeated, high torque with a smile. I'm like, of course. If clutch goes, it goes. He said it wouldn't go that quickly but didn't really take his word for it. There is a reason they issued a low torque file. I'm well aware it can go and that depends on how hard you rip on the car. I'd like to think I'm a more conservative driver these days but even with that, it'll probably wear it quicker sooner than later.

If I can get by until next Winter, that'll be great because I won't be on it with my Winter tire setup and that gives me until next year to think about doing a clutch replacement :D
I just noticed that you have a 6-speed too. How many miles have you put on the car since the tune? Have you experienced any slippage? I'm still thinking it over but I'd love to know your experience.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I have the APR 87 Octane Stage 1 (I guess you could call that extra low torque) on my 6MT Alltrack. Only have 6K miles on it since I tuned it, 12K total. We’ll see how long it lasts. This is my 3rd 6MT VW and my 2nd that I’ve tuned. Never had to replace a clutch before, knock on wood.

Momochu

I have the APR stage 1 91 Low torque installed on my 2017 GTI DSG. The tuner shop suggested this version for Canadian and California 91 octane gas, since the gas quality is inferior to rest of North America. Also, they strongly suggested adding a DSG tune if I go for the 91 High torque.

The APR 91 Low torque introduces a little additional turbo lag. Other than that, it drives like factory tune. The power is explosive at anything beyond 3000 rpm.

Compared to my Mk5 GTI DSP APR stage 1 91 (High torque only), the Mk7 stage 1 feels less torquey at low rpm. But the Mk7 will run away from the Mk5 beyond 3000 rpm.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
Which octane tune do you have? If you've got the 87 Octane low torque, I think there's quite a bit to be gained going to a st1 93 high torque for example (plus intercooler would be a good idea). And it would only cost you a small reflashing fee versus spending hundreds for the Access port and EQT.

But if you've already got the 93 octane low torque and are finding it lacking.... the jump to high might not seem like enough improvement.
I have the 93 LO file. even the #s may not suggest much difference...

327 HP326 FT-LBS
vs
321 HP351 FT-LBS

I read the usable torque <3k rpm is quite different? So i wanted to ask.
For my dealer it would be a $70-80 reflash if I switch file I believe.

and I am on stock clutch with 48k mi btw

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I just noticed that you have a 6-speed too. How many miles have you put on the car since the tune? Have you experienced any slippage? I'm still thinking it over but I'd love to know your experience.

Hmmm. I got the tune at low 27k miles. I'm at high 27k miles about to roll over to 28k. So... not a whole lot to be honest though no issues so far. I just feel it is inevitable. Like I said, they have the low torque to probably give your clutch some longevity while tuned. High torque is probably for those that either already have a clutch upgrade or are willing to upgrade the clutch but still don't want to go all out with Stg2 or higher with the extra hardware. Or in my case, specifically the downpipe where NJ emission inspection sucks.

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
Hmmm. I got the tune at low 27k miles. I'm at high 27k miles about to roll over to 28k. So... not a whole lot to be honest though no issues so far. I just feel it is inevitable. Like I said, they have the low torque to probably give your clutch some longevity while tuned. High torque is probably for those that either already have a clutch upgrade or are willing to upgrade the clutch but still don't want to go all out with Stg2 or higher with the extra hardware. Or in my case, specifically the downpipe where NJ emission inspection sucks.
Just out of curiosity is your NJ dealer Joe Heidt VW in Ramsey?

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
Nay. Trend in Rockaway.
OK thanks. It's a fascinating relationship that these dealers must have with APR. VWoA must allow or authorize APR to sell their products through these dealerships. It's simply not possible that individual dealerships can decide to sell these products and put a big APR sign on the wall without VWoA's approval. So if they are selling these products and almost encouraging GTI owners to "go for it," how can they turn around and say they won't honor the warranty if the products damage the car?? Seems almost unethical. The guys I spoke to at the dealership said they've never seen a stage 1 tune damage anything on a GTI other than the clutch, so if the worst thing that can happen is that I'm out $800 on a new clutch I think I'm willing to roll the dice. They did note that some other issues arose when people go up to stage 2 and 3, but they also said these guys were street racing and doing other things that I have absolutely no interest in doing.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
OK thanks. It's a fascinating relationship that these dealers must have with APR. VWoA must allow or authorize APR to sell their products through these dealerships. It's simply not possible that individual dealerships can decide to sell these products and put a big APR sign on the wall without VWoA's approval. So if they are selling these products and almost encouraging GTI owners to "go for it," how can they turn around and say they won't honor the warranty if the products damage the car?? Seems almost unethical. The guys I spoke to at the dealership said they've never seen a stage 1 tune damage anything on a GTI other than the clutch, so if the worst thing that can happen is that I'm out $800 on a new clutch I think I'm willing to roll the dice. They did note that some other issues arose when people go up to stage 2 and 3, but they also said these guys were street racing and doing other things that I have absolutely no interest in doing.
I don't think that VWOA authorizes the dealers to sell the APR tunes.

barf

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
Ask the dealer, what happens when your lease is over and you return it? Do they tell the next buyer about the tune? Oh, by the way it might need a clutch and any engine problems are probably not covered under warranty...